Royal wedding!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scholarteacher, Apr 28, 2011.

1. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2011

I don't usually follow these things, but Kate seems so genuine and charming, it has captured my attention. What's your #1 point of interest in the festivities? I guess I want to see her dress, and also see in the near future if there's any truth to the report that there's already a "bun in the oven"! Surely not!

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 28, 2011

I can't wait! I will be up at 3am my time to watch it! :)

Tomorrow, all (well...most) of the teachers in our school are going to wear name tags with our "royal" names: (Lord/Lady + Grandmother/Grandfather's first name + Name of first pet + of + name of street where you grew up).

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2011

As a little girl you always dream of being a princess... I just like the fact that she is a "normal" person!!!

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 28, 2011

I plan on watching the abridged version of the ceremony tomorrow evening/night. I am not getting up at 4AM to see the real thing.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2011

I'm looking forward to watching what is on when I get up for work...but, I would like to see her dress!

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2011

I was talking to my husband about this yesterday, and he didn't quite understand. Certainly not all girls have such a dream, but I did.

I remember reading a small biography about Princess Diana when I was in early elementary school—it was pink with a rose on the front cover. I was immediately in love with the whole idea. Add Disney and other fairytales to the mix, and I wished and wished I was a princess. I'm not normally into "celebrity", but I must admit that the idea of a new princess is oddly filling me with childlike excitement. I think much of it is for sentimental reasons just having grown up watching Princess Di and watching the news break as she died, but certainly the rest is just pure girl.

8. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Apr 28, 2011

I was 13 when Princess Diana was married and I remember watching the ceremony on TV. Having never seen such a grand wedding before it seemed "magical". I now have a 13 yr old daughter with whom I can share a magical wedding with. Can't wait to see all of it.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 28, 2011

I searched for a video clip but couldn't find it. My absolute favorite royal wedding moment was during the festivities after the wedding of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson. As the carriage was leaving Buckingham Palace, you see Queen Elizabeth, who is normally so dignified, running quickly after them. It's only after the carriage pulls away that you see that she had been chasing after the young Prince William, who had been a page boy at the wedding, and was trying to run after the carriage himself. I love the image of the Queen, with her very dignified public persona, allowing Grandma instinct to take over when she thought her grandchild might be in danger of getting hurt.

That said, I'm considering staying up and or getting up for the wedding, but just in case, it's set to be dvr'd.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2011

I am going to watch. It's only a half hour before I normally get up anyway.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2011

I'm getting up.

But then again, I'm on the east coast. It's my normal school-day wakeup time even if I am still on vacation.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 28, 2011

My daughter and her college housemates are throwing a Princess Party tonight!

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2011

I'm taking a personal day tomorrow to spend some time with the hoosband. We're going to see a midnight movie tonight (ah, Vin Diesel and The Rock, how I love you both), and afterwards I'll stay up and watch the wedding.

I'm excited to see the dress, and all decorations really. I'm interested to see how they'll handle such an extravagant affair in such dire economic times.

I'm not entirely sure what my opinion about Kate is. I haven't really heard her talk about anything ever, so I don't know if she's really charming or what. I do know that I don't think that Prince William is as handsome as he once was. He seems to be starting to look a lot like his father these days, or at least just losing a bunch of hair. Don't get me wrong, he's still pretty handsome. :)

What's the story on why it has taken them so long to get married? They've known each other for like ten years, even living together for some of that time, right?

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 28, 2011

I'm not watching it but I'll look online this weekend and see if I find anything on it.
    Did anyone see last week's episode of the tv show The Middle where Frankie was so obsessed with watching the wedding that she "borrowed" a big screen tv then ended up not knowing how to use the remote so she missed it? I could see that happening to me LOL

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2011

what will they be doing, Missy?

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2011

I was up at 5, both my girls were up by 5:30.

I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Kira was thrown off by the term "Holy Ghost" since she's always hear the term "Holy Spirit."

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 29, 2011

I slept on the couch with the TV on. I'm not normally up that early. I did sleep though the beginning, but was awake in time to see all the major parts. They look so happy.

18. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 29, 2011

In my Western Civ. class during first period someone brought that up and we had a quick tangent back to the English Reformation and Henry VII.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2011

A lot happier than Charles and Diana did when they got married!

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 29, 2011

I wasn't going to get up that early, but the cat woke me (with a huge hair ball) so I got up at 5:55 and watched the whole thing. It was absolutely beautiful. They did say that Kate wouldn't have wanted to get married earlier if she wasn't ready to have children.

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2011

I didn't care for her dress, but I thought she looked beautiful otherwise. I very much preferred Pippa's dress.

William and Kate really did seem much happier than Charles and Diana did. Diana was so young and shy, whereas Kate seems much more mature and self-confident. I was watching Katie Couric's coverage, and the people she was talking with kept saying that a lot of the traditional components of the wedding ceremony, especially those that talked about how the man is the one with the power and whatnot, were omitted and that Kate's family paid for some parts of the wedding, which has never been done before. She definitely seems to have some strong (and good!) opinions about equality in marriage, and it seems that her opinions have been well-received.

I agree that Fergie should have been invited. I also think that her daughters looked awful, especially with those god-awful hats. Honestly I don't think anyone looked good in hats. I saw one lady whose had was practically centered over her ear rather than the top of her head. Ugh.

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 29, 2011

Oh, I LOVED her dress. I woke to an e-mail from my mom saying that Kate wore her dress-it's true! My mom's dress had more of a sheer veil sleeve instead of lace, but the design was very similar! I thought everything about her was perfect. I only saw a little clip before getting up, but it's made me happy all morning. ;)

23. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 29, 2011

I have always enjoyed the royal weddings, but wasn't particularly excited by this one.....until I started watching it, then was hooked. I didn't want to leave for work and was almost late. My car gets satellite radio and I listened to the BBC, which was a whole different take. Also, I will be in London this summer for about 4-5 days, so I am now excited to see all the places I saw this morning.

I also read somewhere that his mother was SO young when she married that he did not want his bride to be so inexperienced in life and the public and that is why he wanted to wait. Don't know if that is true, but makes sense.

24. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 29, 2011

I didn't like the kiss. I know they're trying to be proper but this is supposed to be the most important and intimate moment in their lives. It was like a peck you could have missed if you blinked.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2011

We had to rewind several times before we each got a good look at the kiss. I thought they did a second one that was a bit longer.

26. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Apr 29, 2011

I love her dress! It just fits her body and personality. Love it!!

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 29, 2011

I didn't see it on tv but I saw a few pictures this morning. My mom actually had a similar dress (v neck and lace sleeves). I'm glad her dress had sleeves. Now, if anyone comments on my wedding pictures asking me why I didn't wear a sleeveless dress I can say, "well, the royals don't wear them why should I?" LOL

28. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2011

I also liked her dress. I'm not into weddings at all, so I'm the last person who would know what good wedding dresses look like, but I thought hers looked really classy and pretty. I read somewhere that it was similar to Grace Kelley's??

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 29, 2011

I loved Kate's dress, loved Pippa's, but I thought Carole Middleton's dress looked like it came from JC Penney!

30. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2011

I would have loved to see the queen chasing after young Prince William at that long ago wedding! I heard that Kate had 3 dresses and didn't really pick one until time to get dressed. Maybe the other 2 were decoys to throw off the curious media! ABC said that Kate acted more like a queen that a princess and I thought, What's the difference! :)

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2011

Peachy, I'm also not at all into weddings...but I enjoyed this even more than I thought I would, and I was looking forward to it. I thought the dress was very, very pretty. I thought the kiss was appropriate—I can't much stand anything more intimate in public, even for a wedding.

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2011

I haven't seen the whole wedding, just a short clip of her in a wedding dress. I guess I'll have to watch the actual wedding now! :) Does anyone know where you can watch it online?

33. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 29, 2011

Me too, but I want some commentary to go with mine.

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2011

Does anyone know why Prince William isn't going to be wearing a wedding ring? The only thing I've heard is "personal preference" which I guess is a good enough explanation. I just wondered if there were a more specific reason.

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2011

Caesar, I hadn't heard. I don't have mine on right now and very often don't, and my husband has never worn his, although I admit I figured it was more of a non-negotiable in their situation.

36. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2011

I totally understand when someone chooses not to wear theirs for whatever reason. What surprised me here was that, if I'm remembering correctly, at no point during the ceremony did Kate give William a ring. He put a ring on her finger (and for a scary minute there it looked like it wasn't going to fit!), but then they moved on to the next part of the ceremony! I've never heard of not exchanging both rings.

37. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2011

I haven't heard of that either. And those covering it didn't say a word about it. Hmmm...

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2011

From ABC: After Prince William says "I do," one thing he won't do is wear a wedding ring, a palace official told The Associated Press. No reason was given.

Ringless royal patriarchs are not uncommon. "It's been the same in other royal weddings," a source told US Weekly.

William's grandfather, Prince Phillip, does not wear a wedding ring. Neither did Prince Charles when he married Princess Diana. But that changed when he wed Camilla Parker Bowles in 2005. His left ring finger now bears two bands, a signet and his wedding ring.

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 29, 2011

Double-ring ceremonies are a twentieth-century innovation, in fact; the standard vow in the Church of England's Book of Common Prayer ("With this ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow: In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.") more or less requires that the donor have worldly goods to endow, and that would have neatly excluded most women in most centuries.

40. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 29, 2011

I thought everything was perfect. I also liked Kate's second dress that she wore to the party at night. I think she did a great job blending both modern and traditional fashion. I think her and her sister are beautiful girls. I have been following the story of William and Kate for awhile and it really seems that they are in love.

During the ceremony you could see him say, "you look beautiful". Then, when they got into the carriage after the ceremony you could see her say, "I am so happy". A great love story.