Rowdy boys!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Magnolia, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Magnolia

Magnolia Rookie

Sep 11, 2013

I have a class of 25 kindergartners with no aide. 17 of my students are boys, most of whom are extremely energetic with no preschool experience.

I have been keeping activities short, adding in a ton of movement opportunities, song and dance breaks, etc... but I am still having a terrible time keeping them under any kind of control for longer than about 5 minutes at a time! Our class is falling behind in the curriculum because we are still working on basics like how to walk in the classroom and line up for snack.

This is my second year teaching. Last year, my classroom management was pretty great. I am starting to feel like a failure because I can't figure out how to teach my new class!

If anyone has any advice as to how to run a classroom with an overwhelming number of rowdy boys (and some girls too!), please help me out!

Thanks! :)

3. cml88

cml88 Companion

Sep 12, 2013

I'm so glad I'm not the only one...On most days I think seriously common core?! My boys are so nuts and unfocused (and academically low) I will be ecstatic if they can write their names & identify all the letters by June.

4. Magnolia

Magnolia Rookie

Sep 12, 2013

Today we literally practiced being students. We practiced walking into class. Practiced sitting down. Practiced lining up. Practiced freezing. I'm falling further behind in curriculum but if I can't get them to do basic school procedures, academics are going to be a mess anyway.

At least I enjoy a good challenge! This year certainly will be one!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 12, 2013

I don't really have any advice-it seems like you are trying to give them acceptable ways to release energy. I just wanted to say I feel for you--that's a lot of boys! :eek:

6. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 12, 2013

That is a lot of boys!! Do you have access to youtube videos? They have some great clips with abc's, counting to 100 etc. It wont help with the behavior, but will provide an outlet to allow them to hear counting an the alphabet.

Keep us posted! My heart goes out to you!

7. Appmaker28

Appmaker28 Rookie

Sep 18, 2013

In the past when I had classes like that I have tried movement breaks but found that it usually wound them up, and then I had trouble reeling them back in. I know it sounds crazy but last year I started incorporating yoga. When the group was antsy I had them breathe in and reach to the ceiling and then breath out and reach down. It actually worked to calm them down!

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 18, 2013

Do you have access to Discovery Ed? My most rowdy boys get pretty quiet when I launch a lesson or do some review with Discovery Ed. I love the idea of some basic yoga. Keep practicing routines, praise until it feels like overkill and praise again :)

I also find physical activity gets my kids wound up. I hold 2 meetings; once in the morning and once after lunch. I find it calms them down a bit and helps them center.