Routines??

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by hockey1021, Jul 15, 2008.

1. hockey1021

hockey1021 Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

This is my first year teaching first grade and I was wondering was are some of your routines for your first graders?

Thank you

3. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I always get confused between routines and procedures.........can you be more specific (I'm a little slow sometimes!)

4. hockey1021

hockey1021 Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

Anything will help me at this time.

Thanks

5. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

My kids are not allowed to sharpen pencils at all unless it is their job....at the end of each day the person with the pencil sharpening job will sharpen all pencils--the next morning i set pencils at their table..i keep a basket of sharpened pencils so if one breaks we just switch them out and at the end of the day i take them all up and start over....

6. hockey1021

hockey1021 Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

Great idea. Thanks

7. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 16, 2008

There is a great book by Scholastic that is about classroom routines... If you google it I am sure it will come up. It is useful. As far as routines, I too use the pencil sharpen rule mentioned above. Also, this seems simple, but anytime I need them to come to the rug, return to their desks, line up, etc. I always call them one table at a time. Also, when they are packing up, I found there used to be a clump of kids at mailboxes, a clump in the closet, and a clump pushing to get to those places. Now, I call one table to go to the mailbox and return to their desks, while another table gets their backpacks. I call one table at a time for each place until everyone has everything they need to pack up. It controls a lot of confusion and pushing!

8. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

this is similar to my procedure - I have a cup for sharpened pencils(points up so they don't all go for the pencils with the best eraser) and a cup with unsharpened pencils (points also up, because when the sharpened pencils run out, I'll go take a look in the "needs sharpening" cup and over HALF will still be useable, so I give them one of those.....

anyway, at the end of each day my pencil sharpener person will collect everyone's pencils, sharpen them (including the ones in the "unsharpened" cup) and then the next morning it is their responsibility to get a sharpened pencil.

Throughout the day, when they need theirs sharpened, they raise their pencil in the air and I'll exchange it for a sharpened one (or most often as the case is - I'll walk over, look at their pencil and say, "It's fine, keep working.") If I'm busy/lazy (LOL) I'll just signal them to go exchange their own pencil....

9. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

I do this too - but my kids are numbered, so I will call out numbers to go to the locker, so 2-3 kids aren't side by side getting stuff out of their lockers all in each others way.

10. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

Here's a few I thought of:

Morning Routine:
    I have what I called the "Morning Table" - they know to come in, unpack their backpack, bring their Homework folder and take everything out (homework, notes, etc.) place it in the bin (in numerical order - I numbered my students at the beginning of the year 1-24 to help with all kinds of things.....lining up for fire drill is the most IMPORTANT reason because I have them "count off by their number" once we get outside).

Anyway, back to the morning table - Homework is taken out of their folder and placed in separate piles (Math, Spelling). If there are any notes from home, field trip permission slips, etc....those go in their own pile as well. Their folder is now empty, saving ME tons of time....

They then return to their seat and begin their bell work. When finished, they read a book.

Lining up:
    I use different things, but most often I call by quietest row/group. I've also done - "If you are wearing blue socks, line up....." or "If your name has 1 syllable, begins with a L, ends with a y, etc..."

Walking in line:
    They put one finger over their lips (like doing "shhhh") and the other hand goes behind their back....I dont have a cute saying like "flip and zip", but when I say "hands" they know.

11. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

The way I think of it is that routines are the predictable activities like lining up for library or PE, starting the day with a sharp pencil, sitting on the circle time rug. first thing in the morning Procedures are how we do the work: the right way to take a book out of the class library (and how to put it back), how to write your name on the paper, how to pass in papers, what to do when you have finished your work. For me the routines are predictable, but I'm beginning my fourth year as a first grade teacher, and I still find myself catching up on procedures that I hadn't thought of at the beginning of the year. This year I am adding how to use a bookmark to my list.