Round tables vs. Desks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by englady8, Jul 17, 2013.

1. englady8

englady8 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

Hi all!

I'm starting at a new school and saw my room this week. I have round tables rather than desks. My first reaction was "Oh no! This won't work!" I'm teaching 8th grade ELA. It was suggested that I ask for square tables. So it looks like it'll be tables regardless. I was told the tables are preferred by the P.

I was wondering if anyone else has all round tables in their room and how it works for them. I don't want to start complaining about minor things, but I do need some help with changing from my comfort zone. Thanks!

3. bek3

bek3 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

If it's going to be tables either way I wouldn't ask for them to be changed. Square vs. round won't make much of a difference. I'm elementary so we all have desks, but they are pushed together like a table. We just need the storage space for supplies.

I would just make it clear that when you are teaching the students who are sitting with their backs to you must turn their chair around to face you. I teach from both the front and the back (side without the chalkboard) regularly so all of my students have to turn their chairs at some point. In the beginning of the year it takes some reminding such as "I like how ___ has their chair turned ready to go." All students (at least in third grade) will jump to get their chair around as well.

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 17, 2013

If you sew or know someone who does, you could make chair pockets to help with storage. I used dish towels from dollar tree and the pocket is blue twill and they still look great!!!!

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 17, 2013

Have you heard of Kagan? This sounds like a prime set up for cooperative learning.... :D

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 17, 2013

I had round tables a few years ago. I loved them but I was teaching third. You'll need privacy shields/offices/test folders.

I think round tables take up less room but then the students have less room to work. I used plastic crates to store textbooks.

7. englady8

englady8 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not going to ask to change and just make the best of the tables. Privacy during tests was a concern as well, but we will work it out! I'm going to check out Kagan too.

8. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

I taught 8th grade math with tables and I loved it. I had a basket in the middle of each table with extra pencils, pens, rulers, etc. Kids were good about turning towards me when I was giving a lesson. When it was time for a test, I was able to spread kids out because I had about 10 clipboards and most of the kids wanted to take their test laying on the floor rather than sitting at the desk.

9. englady8

englady8 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

Thanks NUMB3RSFAN for your reply. I'm coming out my comfort zone and realizing it probably won't be that bad after all.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2013

When it comes to tests, you might also want to make multiple versions (if you don't already do that). Privacy shields are okay, but they also shield you from being able to see cheating easily.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2013

I also think that you're going to have to be very, very clear about your expectations about sidebar conversations, off-task behaviors, talking while you're talking, etc. Older students see tables as an invitation to visit. You'll need to nip that in the bud right away.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2013

I wouldn't like round tables...the roundess kind of eats at some sort of OCD-orderly-clean lines thin. Considering how much calmer I would find square or rectangle tables, I would casually ask if those are available.

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 17, 2013

Our 7th grade Language Arts teachers teach with round tables. They like it well enough. I guess you can fit more kids with less space.

I have and prefer desks.

14. englady8

englady8 Rookie

Jul 18, 2013

Good advice! Thanks Caesar753.