Round robin interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msmac21, Apr 6, 2014.

1. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Apr 6, 2014

Has anyone ever participated in a round robin interview? I have one on Tuesday and I have never done anything like it before. I'm told there will be about 15-20 candidates and we will be broken up into groups of 3-4 people. You stay with your "group" the whole time and then visit tables of interviewers until you have gone to every table.

I feel like this is super intimidating. How do you stand out in a group of four? I'm not sure when they ask questions if they'll pick one of us to answer or what. This is for a dream job so I definitely NEED to kick butt at this interview!

3. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Apr 6, 2014

That sounds absolutely ghastly. More like a reality TV show than a professional interview situation.

4. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Apr 6, 2014

Exactly Rhesus! The school I am applying for is actually a network of charter schools, so they do do things a little differently. I know there's things I can do to stand out, but honestly how do you sell yourself in that type of situation? It seems like a quicker way to do interviews by condensing them instead of doing them one at a time across a whole day...

I'm very excited but totally intimidated!

5. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Apr 6, 2014

I thought it might be a charter chain. Be very careful and do a lot of background checking on the school/chain. There are some good charters around, but many are motivated primarily by money and practice severe "burn & churn" policies with staffing. Good luck.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 6, 2014

I've done group interviews before. They're not bad. They rotate who answers questions first. I've found them common for first round interviews.

7. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Apr 6, 2014

Thanks Rhesus! From what I have heard this chain is great to work for- thanks for the tip- I know there's some bad ones out there!

dgpiaffeteach, that's good to hear! I like that strategy better than them asking a question and just picking on someone random to answer, which is what I had envisioned. You set my mind at ease a bit!

8. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Apr 6, 2014

at least you get to check out the "competition"!