Rough Week :(

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MrsAllison, May 19, 2012.

1. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 19, 2012

Hi guys,
    A week or 2 ago, I posted on the Jobs 2012-2013 thread about how I had an interview scheduled for my dream job. Well, let me give a little run-down of how it went.
    In a word...awesome. Met with the P (currently Assistant P but officially going to be P next year) and he showed me around the school. We then just sat and chatted for a while, but he didn't even really ask me many questions. I did most of the asking. It was going so great -- I feel that we really vibed and were on the same page about everything. It didn't even feel like an interview..it just felt more like a conversation. Anyway, at the end of the interview, he said "So we're interviewing 2 other candidates so I can't decide anything right now. BUT I really like you and I think you would fit in really well here." And then goes on for about 2 straight minutes about how he thought I would do a really great job. He even said, "If I didn't have more interviews scheduled, I would offer it to you right now. I'd love to have you work here." So, as you can imagine, I left feeling really good. It sounded like he was basically implying that I had the job, but he couldn't offer it officially until the other interviews were done. I told him that I had been offered another job at an interview I had the previous day (let's just say it's not my ideal job...) so he said he would definitely let me know by Friday, Monday at the latest.

I sent an email on Thursday thanking him again and letting him know that the other school had moved my deadline to accept the job to Friday (originally Monday) and asked (in a very friendly way) if he could possibly let me know by then. No response. Friday comes...no call, no email. I called at 2:45, 30 minutes before school let out. He was busy so I left a message. I was getting really nervous, because I needed to let the other school know. But I thought, "There's no way he would make me wait this long, knowing I had to let the other school know, if he knew I didn't get it." So about 4:15, I get an email. Guess what? I didn't get it. They went with another candidate who has more experience.

I was (and am still) very upset. Not only because I had gotten my hopes up so much for this job that I wanted so badly, but because when I finally pulled myself together and called the other school, everyone had already gone home for the weekend. I sent an email, but I'm afraid by Monday, they'll have rescinded the offer.

What do you think? I feel that he shouldn't have led me on like that and said so many promising things. Obviously, I realize there is no such thing as a sure thing until something is signed. But do most principals say things like this if they don't really plan on hiring you? I feel that if he wasn't sure, he should have just said, "Ok well I'm interviewing 2 other people. I will meet with them and let you know." I haven't been on many interviews, so I'm not sure if my feelings are valid.

In any case, I am crossing my fingers that the other offer is still on the table...or else, I guess it's back to square one. :unsure:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 19, 2012

I am reasonably certain that your original job offer is safe. I doubt that they were sitting around watching the clock waiting to cross you off the list. Since you emailed on the deadline, I think it'll be okay.

Why isn't that job ideal for you?

As for this other interview, you're going to have to let it go. You shouldn't look at it as the school leading you on or making false promises. It's entirely possible that they were very impressed when they met you and that you were their top choice--so their words were genuine and truthful. Unfortunately for you, one of the candidates they met after you was a better fit with more experience. It doesn't mean that you weren't still an excellent candidate or that they were lying to you. It just means that they found a better fit later on.

4. escape3500

escape3500 Rookie

May 19, 2012

I am in a similar situation right now, except the principal who led me on is one I currently work for. She, via cryptic language and various hints, pretty much assured me I had the job. I even told my class there was like a 99% chance I'd be working in the school next year. I turned down one interview at another dream district (I had a field trip) and went to another, but totally turned them off when I said I was a candidate for a position at my current school was meeting with the superintendent on Friday. The meeting went horrible and I could tell he was trying to prep me to hear the word "no." I still haven't heard official word- but sometimes you just know these things.

It SUCKS when principals lead you on like that. My principal was in the meeting with the superintendent, and the only way I can describe how she looked/acted, is like she had a jenga tower all stacked perfectly, but one person pulled out a block and the whole thing came tumbling down and now the tower had to be rebuilt. She looked like she was going to vomit. I think there is some political mumbo jumbo going on behind the scenes, and I think sometimes even principals can't anticipate what the superintendent will do or say.

I hope in both our cases, the principals were not at fault and that they truly had every intention of hiring us! Keep us posted on Monday- if they really want you, they'll keep the offer. Fingers Crossed for you!!!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 19, 2012

I think that the offer will still be on the table for you.

Yes, principals say wonderful things because you did great, someone a bit of a better fit just came along. It happens and is not fun, but know that with a little more experience you might be able to get a job at this school in the future.

6. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 19, 2012

Ok, I'll try not to be too mad at the guy ;)

The other job really isn't bad, and I think I would be happy there. I think I was just comparing it to this other job so much. It's much farther from my house and, more importantly, is for Jr. High, whereas elementary is much more my speed. But really, the principal was great and I am so grateful to have even had an interview, let alone a job offer. The only reason I didn't accept on the spot was because I knew I had this other interview that was for an elementary position.

I guess the main reason I'm worried is that I think I was one of the first interviews she had -- there were several others scheduled this week after mine. I'm worried that my telling her I had another interview plus the fact that I didn't get back to her in a timely manner may have come off as disinterest. And given what happened with this other school that rejected me, I'm concerned she may have offered it to another candidate already.

7. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 19, 2012

Oh I should clarify: there are a few positions open at the school. She technically offered me a chance to work at the school and THEN we'd talk about which position I would fill.

When I mentioned that I was more suited for elementary she did say she may be able to shuffle things around and have me in fifth grade (which would be great!). Hope that is still a possibility!

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 19, 2012

The glowing comments you received I received in about 12 interviews. Since I am still able to write this reply and not asleep in the corner recovering from my 12 job work load you can probably tell I was not offered 12 jobs. The important thing is I was offered the right LTS position which led to my 1st FT job for next year. It's not a perfect situation but I am incredibly happy with it. Clearly the other job is meant to be and I think it will still be there Monday. Be sure to let us all know and don't spend all weekend worrying.

9. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 19, 2012

Thank you for your advice. I guess my lack of interview experience was working against me and causing me to get my hopes too high.

You're right...this probably is meant to be. I couldn't see that right away as I was (and am still, a little) getting over the last one. But now I am excited about this opportunity and can't wait to talk to her on Monday to see if it's still available!

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 19, 2012

Keep that excitement! It'll be great when you talk with her on Monday!

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 19, 2012

I think the P was just really excited about you, and that's why he said those wonderful words. I don't think it was a hint at you getting the job, I think he just meant what he said: at that time, if it was up to him, you would have gotten it.

You just gotta be positive about this other job offer and wait it out, otherwise you'll go insane. And this is the type of situation when I remind myself that everything is going to work out the way it's supposed to, and leave it at that, especially since you did all you could, and there is no more. Just wait and have faith for the best outcome :)

12. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 19, 2012

Thank you :)
    I'm so glad I posted. I feel so much better about the whole situation.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 19, 2012

I actually agree that he said too much...their decision is just TOO huge in applicants' lives to give them such encouraging comments.

14. worrywart

worrywart Companion

May 19, 2012

You will probably end up really liking middle school/junior high..may be a blessing in disguise. Never a dull moment, that's for sure!

I totally understand you being disappointed. I have been turned down before after a good interview but at least was called personally to let me know. The principal obviously just didn't have the character to call you and let you know himself..Good luck with the other offer!!

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 19, 2012

A similar thing happened with a friend of mine. She subbed at the school for a few years (her mother-in-law worked there as a para), and she came in for an interview. The P pretty much told her it was a formality and that she'd have the job. However, the job ended up going to someone with a relative in the district office. Nepotism at its best.
    (Note- she did get a job there the next school year when another opening appeared)

16. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 19, 2012

I am glad I am not the only one to have been in this situation -- well, not GLAD of course because it sucks! But it's just nice to know I'm not alone.

He is very young (about 30) and probably hasn't hired/rejected many people. And I doubt it was only his decision -- I think the current principal had a lot of say. And I didn't get a whole lot of face time with her. At least, that's what my hubby/mom/self are telling me to make me feel better!

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 20, 2012

I agree with some of the others that you probably were (and are) an excellent candidate, but that someone came along after your interview that wowed him just as much and had more experience. I would've felt the same way hearing those things.

I'm sure the job will be there on Monday...you contacted them on Friday but they were gone. I would call first thing on Monday to talk to the P. Good luck!

18. CCinIL

CCinIL Rookie

May 21, 2012

I had a rough week too- was offered a great job, close to my house, subject I wanted to teach--- 2 hours before I was supposed to sign the contract, I got a call saying the teacher who was leaving decided to renew at the last minute (it was a private school, so they could do what they wanted). Pretty devastating. I took the weekend to "grieve" this job, and now am getting back into job applications full swing! What's meant to be will be :)

And congrats on already having a job! That's wonderful! I agree that they said WAY too much. I had an interview where they made it seem obvious that I was getting the job- and got a form rejection letter a couple of days later. Nothing you can do but promise to be better should you ever be on an interview panel!

19. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 21, 2012

Oh no! That's terrible!! I, too, was grieving most of the weekend, but, like you said, what's meant to be will be and I am back in job hunting mode!

The school who gave me an offer called me this morning and asked if I would come back and discuss the position more. But I actually had an interview this morning that went pretty well. I wasn't expecting much to come from it, and was just going to accept the other job. BUT they invited me back for a second interview/demo lesson.

Granted, I realize this is such a wonderful situation to be in. I am SO thankful that I have even had interviews, let alone a job offer! BUT I'm definitely conflicted right now. On one hand, I have this job offer, but it's for a grade level that's not really in my comfort level. Do I go on these other interviews (both for elementary grades) and see what comes of them, or do I just take the job I was offered and, in essence, be settling? I really do think I would be OK and happy there, but I think I would be happier and more comfortable in a lower elementary position.

Like I said, it's certainly a fortunate sticky situation to be in, but sticky nonetheless. I understand that the school needs to know my decision so they can make THEIR decisions, but I am trying to hold out as long as possible :-/

If you were in my situation, what do you think you would do? Take the offer, or go on the other interviews and hope that another offer comes up?

20. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 21, 2012

It depends on how much you need a job. If you could get by for a few years on sub pay, I might hold out. If you absolutely need a job, I would take what is offered.

21. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 21, 2012

Agreed except for "If you absolutely need a job". If you want to live like someone with steady employment: eat out, go shopping, see a movie, etc., Take the job. Otherwise if you don't get a job, you may end up doing these things but putting them on a credit card instead.

22. teach42

teach42 Comrade

May 21, 2012

I really hate when that happens. This happened to me multiple times last year where I went on interviews and the school seemed really interested, was about to go to the next round and the teacher who was supposed to be leaving decided to stay or they found another teacher at the school to do the job.

As for the OP, if you go on the other interview, I would let the interviewers know that you have another job offer so hopefully they will make their decision quickly. The past 2 jobs I have gotten, the school made me an offer really quickly because I told them I had other interviews lined up and they were afraid to lose me.

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 21, 2012

When's the deadline? I know you're trying to find the perfect job for you, but I worry that they may get tired of you putting off discussing the job and offer it to the next person on their list. If I were you, I wouldn't continue the job hunt/interviews anymore, especially, if the deadline has already passed.

24. CCinIL

CCinIL Rookie

May 22, 2012

Yup, this one was really bad! They had already told me salary, benefits, training schedule, etc. And I got the call just as I was getting ready to go in and sign the contract!!!

If there is one lesson I learned from this, it was to keep job hunting until there is a signed contract! I lost a good 2 weeks of job hunting thanks to this school, which at this time of year is critical. So now I know better!

25. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 22, 2012

It's so funny how things work out!
    So as I mentioned in a previous post, I was going back and forth between settling for the job I was offered or holding out for something better. Well, I felt that I couldn't stall the first offer anymore, so I told them I would go ahead and come in and we could talk about the position and get the contract and everything. Well, while I was there getting the contract, I got a phone call from the school I visited this morning to do the demo lesson. I had told them that I had an offer and would need to know something soon. The P at School #1 told me to take the contract home and bring it back so I could sign it and everything. So I called School #2 back and the P just said how impressed she was with my lesson and how much she would love to have me at her school. I told her I was wrestling with it because I had this other job. She basically told me that I needed to think some things through, to do what was best for me, and that she would be thrilled for me either way. Well that's kind of what sold me -- as a first-year teacher I want a P who is going to be supportive like that. Plus, I would have another teacher in my grade level who could kind of mentor me, whereas at School #1 I would be the ONLY teacher in that grade level (scary).

So in the end, I think School #2 is best for me. I had to suck it up and just now called School #1 to tell them, and she was pretty understanding (really, I think she just wanted me off the phone). I feel really crummy about the way it went down. I know I hadn't signed a contract, so I wasn't contractually obligated to work there or anything. But she had already had a space for me and was even going to let me have second grade. So I feel really terrible.

And to make it even worse...I started this thread because I was upset that a P had made me think I would be getting a job then pulled it. And I just did the same thing!! :(
    In the end, I'm happy because I know I'm getting the job that's best for me right now, but I still feel bad that I went about it the way I did...

26. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 22, 2012

I understand your point, but I think they'll make someone else very happy as well now!

27. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

Congrats MrsAllison on having a happy ending! And just like mathemagician said, someone else will have their dream come true now, too!

28. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 22, 2012

Glad that everything worked out and the first school definitely has time to find another teacher. Good luck this year!

29. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

And let us know when its officially official so we can add you to the jobs list!!!

30. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

May 22, 2012

Thank you everyone :)
    It was a difficult decision to make, but ultimately I think it was the right one. I can't wait until it is official so I can begin my teaching career! Been part-time for the past 2 years...I'm so ready for my own class and classroom!