rough week 1

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linzi, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

Sep 1, 2014

Hey all, I had a really rough first week back. We went back the 25th. I really wasn't expecting to feel this way. It's my second year, and I had what I would consider to be a wildly successful and happy second semester. I was expecting to feel like I kind of had it together somewhat when we got back, just pick up where I left off but it was SO HARD. It was a roller coaster of a week. I'm kind of dreading going back tomorrow, but still holding hope that I'll be able to get my excitement back before second semester.

Wishing everyone a great semester :)

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 1, 2014

I think the first week back is really hard for most teachers. Don't beat yourself up over it. I personally fell asleep each night around 8pm :)

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2014

:hugs: I'm sorry that you had a rough first week. I know that each year is a whole new ballgame. And the first week of any new year is especially tough.

5. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Sep 2, 2014

Every year is a new experience. I think the first week or two is difficult for all teachers. Just give it a few more weeks and you will be where you left off last year.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 2, 2014

First week can be the hardest. The kids are still in 'summer' mode, some of them had absolutely no structure in the last 2-3 months. Depending on their age, they may have been partying, staying out all night, doing drugs, drinking, etc, or if they're younger, they ate nothing but junk, laid around all day playing video games, stayed up until late, slept in late... and are now paying the price.
    Some just have a hard time to get adjusted to the new schedule, even if they had a structured home life.
    Others just want to test the teacher to see what they really mean when they say 'no getting out of your seat with permission', or what kind of consequences are in place, and are they really used?

You just have to tough it out, it will get easier, but it all depends how you follow through in the first weeks.