Rough Draft Letter to Principal

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Maithal, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

I am thinking of emailing this to a principal of a position I have applied for (k) and could use suggestions. Please change/add anything so that this sounds better. Is this basically what you'd say to a principal to help you get an interview? Thanks!

Dear (Principal)

I have applied for the kindergarten teaching position that I saw posted on the your website. I am writing to let you know of my strong interest in working in your school.

I believe your school parallels my interests and career goals. Coming from a diverse cultural background, I feel it is very important to teach students to respect each other’s differences. In previous positions, I have immersed students in discussion about my Indian culture. I showed photos, Indian outfits, and even taught an Indian dance to a second grade class. It was a very fascinating way to bring my culture to the classroom and students seemed enthusiastic because they a lot of follow up questions to ask.

I am also excited about to participate in “Character Counts”. I believe the classroom should be a community of learners working together to reach their fullest potential. I plan to create this sense of community as well as foster risk taking by differentiatiating my instruction to meet the needs of all my students. I will take into account the way each student learns best. Students will also be able to have ownership of their learning through centers and academic choice.

My application packet has been sent to Central Office. I hope you will consider me for an interview. Please call me at _____ if you have any questions or need any other information. Once again, thank you very much for your consideration.

Sincerely,

________

Any suggestions?

3. Esperanza

Esperanza Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

The letter looks awesome! Just saw a typo but other than that you are good to go!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2006

I love it!!! Nice work!!

I would just add: "Enclosed, please find my resume."

5. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

Thanks Esperenza for reading over my letter! Please think (and pray for me-if you do pray) that I get an interview by doing this. I turned down a offer after much thought b/c it wasn't what I expected and I wouldn't get a single bit of flexibility in terms of teaching the way I want and I know it was the best choice to make like something was telling me to not take it. So I'm really on a crunch with school starting end of August. I'm hoping upon hopes I get something even if it is last minute. That's what keeps the spark going...

Btw-do you have a job lined up for fall? I've read too many posts of ppl getting hired here that I can't keep it straight who got hired and who didn't.

6. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

Also, thanks Aliceacc for reading over my letter! You've been very encouraging throughout this ordeal!

7. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

Silly question, when I send out this email is it okay to write "Interested in your school" in the subject area? Any other suggestions for what to put in the "subject" line?

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

I would put as the subject what ever grade you are applying for.
    So if it is K. I would put in the subject Line Kindergarten position.

9. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

Thanks JamieMarie! The fire still burns...

10. Esperanza

Esperanza Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

Thanks for asking, Maithal. At this point i DO NOT have a position, actually I am still deciding whether or not I want to go back after deciding to stay home for awhile with my daughter (oh yeah, and I just decided to apply YESTERDAY.) So far, I applied only to one district where the salary is good enough for me to want to consider paying someone else to care for my daughter for 2 days a week. I got an interview for next Tuesday after calling all of the principals in the district. I left messages for all principals, spoke to one principal who didnt have a position for classroom but offered me an interview for a para (which I declined- graciously I hope), and spoke to another secretary who said she would review my application and then called me back to set up an interview an hour later. I only applied for one other job,which I found online today, and drove my application over since the deadline is today but I feel like it was rushed so I am worried about mistakes, etc. so I dont even want to look at the copy I made. I hope I get a call but no answer yet.I feel like I can't make a real decision without the true economics- how much would I be taking home vs. paying out. Wish me luck.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2006

WOW!!! Not bad for 24 hours!!!

12. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

Maithal----the only thing i could think of is you might want to include is a little more about yourself....where you have taught previously, education type stuff..i always did that so they wouldn't have to look at my resume too after reading an email. but i did always attach my resume even though i had things on file at the school and at the central office.
    email for me was the best way to communicate with the principal....they get so much mail and often times don't look through it right away.
    in the subject line i would put regarding kindergarten opening.....

13. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

A few slight modifications:

1) Reiterate your interest and enthusiam at the end. You may also want to describe your passion for teaching.

2) Instead of saying "I would like to work for you at your school" I would say the actual name of the school (you may have left this out intentionally, though). It comes across as more personal, and the principal will know that you are interested in teaching at X Intermediate, Y Middle School, etc....as opposed to just any school.

3) You may want to explicitly state how you plan on differentiating instruction.

You want to do all that you can to stimulate interest in your individual talents. I love that you talk about your culture and how you have previously, and plan to continue to share that with your students! You sound like you have much to offer your students and your fellow teaching team.

14. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

Thanks JenL and MillerJ for your advice. I took your advice MillerJ and would like to post my final copy of my email. Please let me know what you think. All of you have been a tremendous help and I smile when I see how many of you are willing to help other teachers like me that you don't even know. Thanks! :love:

Dear Mr L,
    I have applied for the Kindergarten Teaching position that I saw posted on your website. I am writing to let you know of my strong interest in working at T Elementary School. Enclosed, you will find my attached resume.
    I believe your school parallels my interests and career goals. I have student taught and substituted in kindergarten as well as worked as a preschool special education teacher and a second grade teacher. Coming from a diverse cultural background, I feel it is very important to teach students to respect each other’s differences. In previous positions, I have immersed students in discussion about my Indian culture. I showed photos, Indian outfits, and even taught an Indian dance to a second grade class. It was a very fascinating way to bring my culture to the classroom and students seemed enthusiastic because they had a lot of follow up questions to ask.
    I am also excited to participate in “Character Counts”. I believe the classroom should be a community of learners working together to reach their fullest potential. In my classroom, students have ownership of their learning through centers and academic choice. I plan to create this sense of community, as well as foster the at-risk, by differentiation my instruction. The way I differentiate is by getting to know my students and determining whether they laern best visually, auditorially, or by working with their peers. Meeting the individual needs of my students is my top priority. It is truly a joy to watch a struggling student finally grasp a particular concept. It's as if they have taken flight.
    My application packet has been sent to Central Office. I am very excited for the possibility of discussing this with you futher. Please call me at _____ if you have any questions or need any other information. Once again, thank you very much for your consideration.

Sincerely,
    ______

Now what do you think? Thanks again!

15. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 9, 2006

Everyone made excellent points. I think it's good! :cool:

16. Esperanza

Esperanza Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

<I have applied for the Kindergarten Teaching position that I saw posted on your website. I am writing to let you know of my strong interest in working at T Elementary School.>

You could try "I am writing to let you know I am an excellent candidate for this position". I like good, strong language. But either way you are in good shape. Good luck!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2006

And, "attached, please find my resume."

18. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

I just sent my email. I hope something "good" comes out of this. I worked so hard to write and revise this letter. Thanks again to everyone who helped me out!

19. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

Good luck! I hope you get a good response!

20. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

Still no word yet. I just sent my email about an hour ago, but I'm getting ansy. I don't know what else I can do to get hired.

21. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 10, 2006

Don't you wish they would respond a LITTLE faster! The letter looks good!

22. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

Yeah I wish they'd respond. No word yet. However, I vaguely remember the women I spoke to at central office saying the principal was off this week and that's why next week he's looking over applications. So, who knows. Hope that's the case, and the principals not "ignoring" me so to speak. I really hope I get something. I'm starting to get worried.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2006

Get out of the house!!! You know what they say about a "watched pot!""

24. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

I'm getting out of the house tomorrow and I helped a friend set up her classroom. Aliceacc please read my post entitled "a typo, yikes!"

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2006

I CANNOT believe we all missed it! I'm so sorry!!
    Serves me right for proofreading anything at 7am!!

Sorry!!

26. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

No it's okay, I should've looked at it more carefully! I hope this doesn't decrease my chances of getting an interview. Maybe, I'll get lucky b/c I think I remember central office saying principal is on vacation. I'm sure he'll be bombarded with several emails and maybe he'll read it rather quickly. I can only hope upon hopes.