Rough decision making me Crazy

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Upstream, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Upstream

Upstream Rookie

Oct 17, 2013

Hi Everyone, I just had two interviews in as many days and I'm really bummed. First one didn't go well but I had a bad feeling about school so don't mind. The second one was sort of surprise. It was my first day subbing on the campus and AP had mentioned they might have permanent job if I was interested. The kids were pretty bad, ignoring instructions, talking, had little interest in working. The interview was the next day during the normal conference for the regular teacher. This was a different group of kids, same elementary grade level and they were horrible. Outright attitude and open defiance and disrespect. They were so bad I almost walked out and told them to forget the interview. And I have taught in some pretty scary places!
    The interview went well, but I really don't want this job. I need a job badly both for financial and self-esteem reasons. And the real clencher is it is a gen Ed job and I KNOW I want to move to gen Ed. But my last job was in a school like this one, Title I with the same type of problems, just not as bad and same grade level. I had another sub job there for Friday, but I cancelled it. The sub system is online and that's how I cancelled so they don't know the reason for sure.
    During the day I talked to two other teachers who started at this campus this year. Both have experience and are not returning next year. The teacher I subbed for on second day has been out four weeks due to stress related health problems. And another teacher that I had not met stopped me as I was dropping students off at lunch. He said he felt sorry for me being with these kids and then asked if I had subbed at other schools in the same vicinity as this one. I said yes and he wanted to know how the behavior at these schools compared. I told him the truth which is that another school about a mile and a half down the road is 180 degrees from this one. It is also Title I but it is orderly, quiet in the halls, students are respectful, etc. Guess the P really makes that big a difference and I hadn't realized it before.
    Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I have my husband's support about not accepting the job. I was very depressed today, feeling like I should accept it even though I knew I would be miserable. But I know that the very reasons they might offer me the position are exactly why I shouldn't accept it. I am a good teacher and don't have to waste my talents and passion on kids who don't care about their own learning and future. Did that for five years. I deserve better and it will come my way!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2013

I think you know yourself and you know your limits.

Wait for a better job.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2013

If you can find a way to get by without the job, I say you need to wait. You can't jeopardize your health for your job (I learned that the hard way with a rough group one year). Hopefully something else will come along that will be a better fit. :)

5. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Oct 24, 2013

Go with your gut! Good luck with whatever you choose!

6. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Oct 25, 2013

Trust your instincts. Don't take the job if you don't think you will like it.

7. Upstream

Upstream Rookie

Nov 16, 2013

Ok, here's the update. I had convinced myself I wouldn't get the job, but did get the offer. I expressed my concerns about behavior and got an honest answer, talked to an administrator I had worked with previously and took the leap. I figured if I really hated it I could transfer next year. Turns out I love it! The kids are great, team is great and administration is fantastic! The principal is new to the campus and making positive changes from the previous unhealthy environment. It's been a little tough starting late in the year, but I plan to stay next year and longer.

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 16, 2013

Wow! Love hearing success stories like this. :) Thanks for making my Saturday!

Please consider keeping us posted on your many victories through the year. The kids, perhaps, just needed somebody they knew would care for them and guide them and give them rules and regulations.

Well done, teach! :)

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 16, 2013

When I read your first post, I wanted to suggest to not base things on how the kids behaved one 1 day, because they're often bad for subs, but that doesn't mean it's a bad place.
    What the other teachers said... well, some might already have been burned out, have different thresholds for tolerance, so you can't always base everything on that.

I think if you have a good admin, you can make it in any 'bad' school. So it sounds like it will work out for you! Congratulations!

10. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Nov 17, 2013

Please stay on top of things. They must know you are the boss and that what you say goes.

11. Upstream

Upstream Rookie

Nov 21, 2013

Yes, that's the biggest battle since they have had so little structure for so long. They are starting to understand that I'm in charge and that I mean what I say. They do appreciate the structure but would never admit it!

12. Upstream

Upstream Rookie

Nov 21, 2013

Thanks so much for the kudos! There have been some tough days for them as well as for me. One thing is definite, I'm not all alone, have plenty support from all other faculty and admin. Also need to say that the class was the grade level winner for AR last six weeks and kept the title for the second six weeks even with all the changes! I am so proud of them!!!

13. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 21, 2013

Great news! Congrats! :)

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 4, 2013

I think you will do great! If I went by the 10 minute observation of my class while I was interviewing I would never have taken the job (the aides told me to RUN) but I did have a good feeling about most of the school so I took the chance and now am working in a great place. I hope the rest of the year goes well for you! :thumb: