Rough day-vent please-and maybe advice?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sunbeachgirl, Sep 21, 2012.

1. sunbeachgirl

sunbeachgirl Rookie

Sep 21, 2012

Rough day-venting. Advice, please.

I teach in a high school resource room and have known my students for a few years now. I have one student with a particularly rough home life (most families in school are wealthy, married parents, ambitious, etc). His older brother is missing (druggie) and his parents are divorced. They don't pay a lot of attention to him.
    I have a great relationship with the student and help him a lot with school work and anything else he's struggling with. I almost feel like a mentor instead of a teacher. However, today he was upset that I didn't let him work on his English project since he had a test to retake. He didn't want to take the test, but it was the very last day the gen ed teacher would let him. He called me a "b*tch" and I had to take him to the office. It's just so saddening to put so much effort into a student and be treated like that in return. Right now I'm planning to back off. Perhaps then my feelings won't get hurt when this happens.

Ahh, oh well. So goes the life of a special education teacher.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 21, 2012

In my opinion when students act like this (call you a name) it most likely has nothing to do with you. In your specific case this was not about you. You said you have a great relationship with him. Today something happened that upset him, and it seems that he has trouble verbalizing his feelings, or even maybe controlling what he says or how he says it.

I'd say don't overthink it. I would have a short talk with him and let him know that using words like that is not appropriate and is disrespectful. But don't take it personal.

In the environment I'm in, this happens a lot, we learned a long time ago not to take it personal. I have not been called anything to my knowledge, (probably behind my back, but I can't worry about that), but at one point I have found some very explicit drawings about me and students. They were horrible. When I showed them to an officer, the first thing he said was 'please don't think these are about you'. Even though they obviously were about me, even my name was there, it had nothing to do with me. It was just an outlet for anger, loss of control and other frustrations. (these drawings were made when I wasn't there, we had a sub). I understood it right away and didn't let it bother me.