rotating sub. job

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jd123, Feb 2, 2007.

1. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 2, 2007

I accepted a rotating sub. job for next week (just one day). Has anyone had this type of assignment? Can anyone tell me about it?
    Thanks!!

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 2, 2007

That sounds similar to the "floating sub" jobs that I have done. The teachers have trainings scheduled throughout the day - usually about an hour for each session. I start out in one classroom and stay there for an hour, go to the next classroom for an hour, and so on. It's usually a pretty easy day - and there is always a lunch break scheduled in the day at some time.

4. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Feb 2, 2007

Alot of times this rotating sub is following a specific class which may have special needs (behavior or educational). If that is what you are doing then you should have another teacher with you in each class. I personally love those positions. On the other hand, there are rotating teachers in my district who rotate through different classrooms to be in charge of Study Skills/Study Hall class during the regular classroom's teacher's prep period. With that you will be in charge and the regular teacher may or may not be around. Or you could simply be filling in for several different teachers throughout the school! I find it helps to get a map of the school and highlight the rooms I am going to with the period and time next to each one. Hopefully the teachers all leave good plans. On the upside, the day usually flies by when you are a floater! Good luck!

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 2, 2007

I've had a few jobs like this. I usually spend half the day in one class and the other half in another class. Its not too bad.

6. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 2, 2007

This is just a half-day assignment. Don't know whether to prepare for the younger kids or older kids. I'll just be prepared for anything!
    Thanks!

7. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Feb 5, 2007

I'm doing a rotating sub job right now! The teachers have to meet with certain elementary school students and parents, so I have to move throughout the school at various hours in the day.

The day started with.. special area! Then, we went to the media center. The teacher came back and got her class. The next class I had to go to wasn't for another hour, so I had an hour of free time!

The next class was supposed to be under my management for an hour.. but the teacher came back in under 20 minutes! (I guess someone didn't show up to the meeting!) The funny part is that I was just introducing myself as the "substitute of the hour" right when he came in. After he walked in, I said, "Correction! That's 'substitute of the minute.'"

I went to go to the next class, but the teacher that was supposed to be in the meeting called out sick! As a result, she had a sub in her class, so the hour was made into free time for me. As a result, I had two hours of free time. I went to the office, which asked if I had lunch. After answering "yes," they figured I could go to the media center (which is where I am now) and help them out. I said that this is what I usually do at a middle school when I have this kind of assignment and lots of free time, so they sent me.

I just helped them shelve all their books. I asked if anything else needed to be done, and the librarian said to sit down and relax! Now I have twenty more minutes until my next assignment. From there, it's an hour until dismissal. If the teacher gets back early, I guess it's time to go home.

I'm the only sub on campus who was fortunate enough to catch this assignment. I'm loving it!

I think I'll go look at that "Ripley's Believe It or Not" book I was reading earlier now. Maybe I can also go to DBCC's website and figure out how I'm going to take beginning college courses for the next semester and not fail them this time.

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 5, 2007

It is good to see that you are starting college. Are you planning to go into to teaching Shane? Terry G.