rotating center material

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by amyt682, Jul 6, 2006.

1. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

do you keep all your center materials available all year or do you rotate them throughout the year...if you rotate, what is your system

3. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

And in conjunction with that question, what is the best way to quickly and effectively teach center use? and introduce new centers? I felt like I wasted a lot of time last year. It was the first year that I had to use them and it could have gone better.

4. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 7, 2006

I'm not exactly sure if I got your question, but I would think you would keep the centers the same-- but change the material to fit the theme, student interest, and increasing student ability.

yclark, as to teaching them effectively, I'm not sure-- I've never used them. But I'm looking forward to reading others replies.

5. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 7, 2006

I guess it depends on when and what you are using your centers for. For example, if you do morning centers, such as I do, then I would introduce all of the centers first thing Monday morning. If I had more specifics, I could probably help. :)

6. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I am not sure what grade you are teaching but . . . when I taught kindergarten i introduced them slowly. By the time they got they got hte hang of it, here is how it was set up. I used a pocket chart and had the kids in groups going down the left side. Beside each group there were 3 centers, each with its own picture. They had the entire center time to do all 3, I did not care what order, just as long as they all got done. Many of hte centers were in tubs with the corresponding picture velcroed to the front and stayed on a shelf and they went to get it when they needed it. The next day, I rotated the names down the pocket chart. This could work for any grade level I believe. As for changing htem out, the general idea of hte center stayed the same but work changed depending on the season/theme. the key is to start slowly and model!!!! Doing it this way made much more sense than giving the kids say, 20 minutes, then telling the kids to stop, clean up and switch centers - I hated that!!! This way they can go at their own pace.

7. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

what i was really meant to ask was...
    for example, if you had lets say some word building games like boggle or scrabble would you keep them available all year long or do you rotate them out on a month by month/six weeks period, etc

because they dont really go with a specific theme/objective they just allow extra practice with spelling...

and

for example, if we just started compound words...i would put a few file folder games and other compound word building games in a center, but then do i keep them available for the rest of the year or just when it's first introduced and when everyone has got the hang of it put it away and then maybe pull them out again at the end of the year for review?

8. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 7, 2006

Well, just whatever you would like to do...but I never use anything just once. The kids will probably like a lot of those.