Room Not Carpeted

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by krisaustin, Aug 12, 2006.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Aug 12, 2006

My classroom is not carpeted. I wanted to have morning/group time, but I do not want my studnets sitting on the floor. I teach special education and should have only 5 students. Does anyone have any suggestions for a new teacher who does not have much money.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

3. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

Buy an area rug or something. Or maybe even get some bean bag chairs and wrap them in bed seets so they can be washed for sanitary reasons.

4. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

Go to a local carpet store and ask for some old sample squares or a large end piece. They may even be able to give you or your school a deal on a rug.

5. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

Carpet squares!

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2006

I 2nd asking for a donation. A local carpet store would be ideal. It is amazing what people will give you when you tell them you're a teacher. I've know teachers who have gotten rugs donated from stores like Home Depot. You can just go in and ask for a manager and tell them what you'd like. A friend had great success getting many types of donations from all sorts of stores by printing up a request on school letterhead.

Whenever I ask for donations, I always let them know that I'll let the parents know of their generosity through our class newsletter.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2006

I got a 5x8 area rug at Big Lots for $15.

8. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 12, 2006

Ask around your school. Someone may have a carpet that needs a new home! Or check the district warehouse, if there is one!

9. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

Go to Home Depot (or other stores like that) and check their clearance sections. A lot of times you can find large carpet remnants for really cheap. The edges may not be bound like a rug, but it would still work the same.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2006

I got a 5 x 8 carptet at Wal-Mart for $19.94 but it looks like I should have gone to Big Lots!

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2006

Sometimes not having a carpet is a blessing. We have two carpets but not a large carpeted area. Our room gets all kinds of bodily fluids on it. That being said I second asking for donations. I have had sucess with Menards, don't know if you have them. Otherwise carpet squares can always be nice. We put carpet squares on our carpet-- helps the kids with personal space.

12. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 12, 2006

Carpet Squares are great!

I know a teacher who pieced together a bunch of carpet squares to make a big area rug. The pattern she made was really cool. It looked like something people would buy in a store. They tore out the carpet in my new classroom this year, but I was lucky enough that they let me pick out a cute carpet from an educational catalogue. My big concern now is that I won't be able to wear half the shoes in my wardrobe because they all have huge heels and I'll be afraid of falling on my butt...not sure I'm liking this tile thing...;)

13. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 12, 2006

if you can't get a donation (I got one of 30 carpet squares), or find one at big lots, try a thrift store/second hand store.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 12, 2006

I just got new carpet this year and I am dreading one second grader. He can go to the restroom whenever he wants (we have one in our classroom) and I say yes 99% of the time (I always say yes for him) but waits until he is going to jump up and try to run to the restroom. He won't even go when we see him wiggling and send him to the restroom. This year he will be down on his hands and knees scrubbing the carpet clean if we send him and he won't go.

15. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 12, 2006

Carpet squares are great. They will love going over and picking out a square to use.

16. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 12, 2006

my first thought reading this thread was carpet squares...you can even get a couple of larger carpets (sale, donation, reminants, whatever) use a sharp knife (exacto) or scissors and cut them into smaller squares yourself.
    They are wonderful for behavior problems as well because you only need to remind students to keep themselves inside their square or color or however you choose to do it.
    In my moms classroom she uses carpet squares over the rooms wall to wall carpeting "just in case" there is an accident...pick up the carpet piece, clean it, then lay it out in the sun to dry!

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2006

most classrooms that i've been in don't have rugs.... either a big area rug or the carpet squares are always used.

18. dana72205

dana72205 New Member

Aug 12, 2006

Go to your local carpet store and ask them for any old carpet samples that they may have. They should normally give you them for free. They are about the size of a front door mat and work great as "portable carpets". Don't let the store make you pay for them, if they do go to another store! All they do with samples is throw them out once they are not selling.

19. gwat1aw

gwat1aw Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

The classrooms in my school without carpet also use carpet squares. Some teachers use the squares as individual squares the students can pick out and then sit on. Others duct tape them together (on the back) and make a larger size rug. Another idea I have found is use of the interlocking squares that I found at Big Lots. There are 12 squares in a box for $10. They come in different colors so that you can make your own pattern. They are very cushiony and easy to clean. You can use as many or as few interlocking squares as you want or need. With all the bodily fluids that are on my floor everyday, I'm also grateful for not having wall-to-wall carpeting (been there done that). And the easability of the interlocking sqares or donated carpet squares and the ability to throw them away for next to nothing is wonderful as well.

20. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

Every year about this time, Target sells multicolored dorm room rugs for $20.00. I've purchased a few. Not sure of the size but they hold a lot more than 5 kids.

21. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

We've picked up chair cushions at garage sales to use. Carpet squares are great too, but the chair cushions give a little cushion to the floor. They stack easily and I don't think we paid more than a quarter apiece for ours.

22. yclark

yclark Comrade

Aug 13, 2006

Chair cushions are great, especially since you only need 5. I also leave chair cushions in my chair that I sit in during story time. Those are removed and placed in a child's desk on his/her birthday. It's like sitting on a throne without any advanced prep or storage.

23. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Aug 13, 2006

I had a classroom that was all tile, and nasty tile at that. For reading, I let students bring in blankets and comforters to lay on. When we were done, I just folded them and put them away in my cabinet. Every week, I took them home for a washing, and that was that! Didn't cost me a thing.

24. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Aug 13, 2006

THat is a good idea and the great part of that is I have a washer and dryer right next to my room.

25. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

I bought some small rugs at Dollar General for a dollar a piece. The kids could sit on them during group time and then they could be put away for the rest of the day.