Room moms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by czacza, May 22, 2014.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 22, 2014

I have three room moms (assigned by PTO) 2 have shown up for EVERYTHING...planned snacks and crafts or holidays and celebrations, chaperoned field trips, supported my class in many ways. The other has not shown up for any event, doesn't respond to emails, plus is habitually absent/late/needs rescheduling for 'regular' parent stuff (conferences, returning important forms, etc).. She sends me emails at midnight: asking about things I've already sent detailed emails about...so, end of year is coming. Want to recognize my room moms support with a gift (I usually have kids put names on a nice big pot and I fill with gardening things and note 'thanks for helping us grow this year!') not feeling like sending the deadbeat room mom the same gift as other two but probably sill because i don't want to hurt the child of that mom by not doing something....what would you do?

3. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 22, 2014

I love that idea!

How about doing the pot for all 3, but have the kids make tissue paper flowers to 'plant' in a styrofoam circle for the unreliable mom and add the gardening things in the other moms' pots? Maybe you could ask the moms to come in separately to pick them up.

4. PrincessDaisy

PrincessDaisy Rookie

May 23, 2014

I'd give them all gift cards on the last day they're supposed to show up. Make sure it's some place you like. If the mom shows up and does her part, she gets it. If she doesn't, you can keep it and claim you mailed it to her. If she has the nerve to make a big fuss you can claim it was lost in the mail. I would guilt trip her and say "Why wouldn't I send you one? Did you do as much as the other two moms?". With a mom like that, they probably won't show up or even know what happened.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 23, 2014

Our PTO takes care of the gifts too :)

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 24, 2014

I don't get why she would have to claim that she mailed it to her, unless she has the audacity to say "where's my gift" which I don't see being very likely, but that's just me.

But I do like the idea of maybe just giving the gifts at the last event and then if she doesn't show she doesn't get it. Of course then you're in a pickle if she does show, so I don't know what I'd do in this situation. We don't have room moms.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 25, 2014

This is what I'd do: have three pots ready to go for your last activity of the year. Don't even hint that you have something special planned to the kids. If the one doesn't show - too bad, so sad, save it for next year. If she does - well, then you're being the bigger person by not excluding her.