**Room for BOOKS/Supplies?!?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Miss E., Aug 13, 2007.

1. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

So i am new this year and my kindergarten classroom has tables instead of desks...ive been in classes that some have had individual desks and some had tables...where do you put the students belongings that would normally go inside of a desk...(i know, that was wordy, i apologize!)

they have cubbies, but what about workbooks and of course all of the supplies that they bring from home? just doesnt seem like there is enough room! im feeling very disoriented not being as organized as usual...new state, new school, and im a new teacher! AHH!! :eek:

3. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 14, 2007

The art boxes they kept at their tables, and I had a basket at each table for them to put their notebooks in, and books. Their journals I kept in a separate basket on the counter in the back of the room. Oh, and when I was doing a maternity leave in K, they had desks, but the teacher kept their workbooks on a shelf and got them out as needed.

4. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 14, 2007

I keep the journals and workbooks. When we are finished using them each day, I have each table make a pile of their workbooks. I then collect them in order table by table. when I pass them out the next day all the workbooks for each table are together and we can get them passed out quickly. We keep our pecils, crayons, and glue sticks in pencil boxes and store them in our cubbies. Sometimes, I wish that I had desks, but I think that tables have their advantages too.

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 14, 2007

I use colored table caddies for supplies, a different color for each table. You can see a picture of one of my table caddies at this link: table caddy You can usually buy the caddies at Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, or other dollar stores. I know other teachers who use "seat sacks"- a fabric sack with pockets that goes over the back of the chair to hold all their stuff.

6. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Aug 14, 2007

I collect the workbooks and pass them out by table color. I also have community supplies (Crayons, glue, scissors etc) that each table has to share. Color pencils, scissors and markers go in those little buckets you can pick up for a $1 at various times of the year. I got mine on closeout for $.25 at Target in their dollar section. Crayons I use small cans that I remove the sharp edges from and cover in colored paper to match the color of crayon I want to be placed in there. It makes it much easier to say take our a red crayon and they all have one. (Lakeshore sells one for a way lot of money, so I made mine.) also for books I bought color coded baskets for each table. Also the plain white would work as well. I only put a few at a time on the table and switch often to keep it exciting. I would not want desks for kinder they would constantly be playing with anything in there (at least they do in 1st grade until they get a hang of the rules, and kinder takes longer to teach everything it feels.) HA! even my 3rd graders would chose to play in their desk and it was always a mess. Yeah I like the tables, but I understand not know what to do with them at first.

7. BeachBum

BeachBum Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

Several teachers at my school have tables instead of desks. I like to use table caddies or another container for the small stuff, like pencils, glue, etc. I have also seen teachers use plastic crates for workbooks and textbooks. The plastic crates just sat underneath the table in the middle so that it would be out of everyone's way. At the end of the day, students cleaned out their crates and prepared them for the next day (put morning work notebooks inside).