Room Assigning?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Jun 4, 2011

When an Administrator assigns you a room or who ever does.. say you been in your room for lets say 5 years and they decide to switch you down the hall or to the opposite side of the building.. what determines this? Are they just moving teachers just to move them? Do they do these moves for a reason?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 4, 2011

We are always moved to fill vacancies. When someone retires, for instance, we don't necessarily hire someone to replace that person. We might move someone within the building and hire for another position. I teach 7th grade, so my classroom is in the 7th grade wing. If the moved me to 8th grade, I'd have to move classrooms. Some teachers request moves. Others are moved by administration.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2011

In my school there are good reasons when teachers are moved. Such reasons include: adding a section to a grade level and keeping all the classrooms on grade level in the same area of the building, teachers changing grade levels, domino effects of the above, shifts in student population, classroom space needed for resource teachers (speech,sped teachers get moved a lot in my school).

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2011

It's not about teacher convenience, it's about making the building run.

This year I had a freshman homeroom, and taught in 3 different sophomore rooms, with SAT classes in 4 more Junior rooms. In November I picked up an Algebra class, in still another room.

It's nothing personal, just a matter of what rooms were free during the periods my classes met. Yes, it was inconvenient. But that's life. The unfornate truth is that, as much as I wish it were different, the world does NOT revolve around me.

In our building, most frosh classes are in one hallway, sophs are across the courtyard and upstairs, junior classes are above the frosh, and so on. They like having me as a frosh homeroom teacher-- I think they like having a lot of moms in those rooms. But, at least in the summer when it was assigned, all my classes were Geometry (even the one frosh class I started with; those kids were the advanced class.)

**But when I become Queen of the Universe, you can believe that things will change!!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2011

Every year we have several teachers move classrooms; this is solely determined by the administrators. Next year, some of the moves will be necessary because we will have 6 classes in portables; the teachers assigned to those classes will need to move out of the building and some who are out there now will come back into the main building. Sometimes, classrooms are assigned because of student needs--we have 2 students with physical disabilities and will try to keep them on the main floor and close to the handicapped washroom for as long as possible.

7. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jun 4, 2011

All of the intermediate teachers moved last year in order to group the classrooms by grade level since we switch classes. I had to move across the hall (my third move in four years). Technically, I didn't have to move, but I went ahead and volunteered since everyone else was moving too. I'm glad not to have to move this year, but I will say it is nice to purge and get rid of the junk you've collected!

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 4, 2011

We had a principal who wanted to keep teachers from developing "cliques" and feeling proprietary, so he moved everyone frequently. He wanted to establish the idea that we worked for the school and that nothing was really "ours".

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2011

I moved from one side of the building to another in my old school, because I was moved to a different teaching assignment. I have since left that school. This new year coming up will be my 3rd year in my room. We have a teacher that has moved every year since she has been there, which she has moved 4 times. (good news this year she doesn't have to this year) She taught the same grade level it's just that she was "odd numbered" teacher on the grade level so they would put her where ever there was an extra classroom. Now we have lost a grade level teacher and she finally gets to to stay in our wing. The only moves that are being made this year is people being moved out of one grade level to another to fill transfer vacancies.

10. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jun 4, 2011

Seems I have it pretty nice in comparison to most... we're assigned rooms, and generally stay in them. I have never moved classrooms. The courses I teach change, but the room doesn't. The kids come to me, regardless of level (9-12). It's nice, but we're a smaller building... we don't have an Freshman hallway, or anything like that.

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2011

usually it is due to a teacher changing grade levels or a particular unit needing a certain room. We had a teacher have to move rooms to be closer to nurse for one particular child.

However, I have seen principals move teachers to "better" or "worse" rooms because they really liked a teacher or wanted to tick off a teacher. Principals do have ways of pushing out teachers they don't want.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 4, 2011

We are lucky enough to have enough classrooms for each of our teachers. I, however, as an AP and Department Chair do not have a classroom. I utilize whatever class is available during that time period.

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 4, 2011

I will be starting year number 17 in the same classroom where I started :) I think the only teachers who have moved around is our English staff when we added computers to their classrooms. I can't imagine what a pain in the buttocks it would be to move rooms :(

14. janney

janney Cohort

Jun 4, 2011

At my school the principal decides who moves where. This is done to rotate the grade levels that have to be split up in different hallways and to adjust for grade level changes. It may also be done just to shake things up and change things a bit. Kindergarten is the only grade level that never moves since it is close to the nurse, office, and front of the school for dismissal.

15. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 5, 2011

We had a "fruit basket" turn over in regard to our teams and rooms. It has resulted in about 90% of us having to change rooms, work with new teams and very low teacher moral. I wonder if the admin. realizes how upset everyone really is...although I know we will all suck it up and do what's best for the kids.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 5, 2011

I will be switching rooms again, because I am changing grades. Our middle years students are in a different part of the school than the early years students. Since I am moving down to early years, I need to change rooms.

17. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 5, 2011

I worked at a school once where the principal would require that all teachers pack their stuff at the end of every year to be ready to be moved. Some teachers would be moved, some others wouldn't. I later found out that she did this so teachers would keep their classrooms clean and would get rid of clutter.

I just moved in this year to a classroom of a teacher who had been there for 10 years and for health reasons couldn't come to get her stuff. I had to clean her room and it took me 4 full days to pack her stuff. It was a nightmare.

18. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jun 5, 2011

We change rooms based on enrollment. I've had to switch 3 times in the last 4 years and I'll be moving again for next year. I'm happy to be going to a new room -- the one I'm in right now is the smallest in the school and I have been miserable there. I like the room I will be moving to.

19. joe22k

joe22k Rookie

Jun 5, 2011

At my school the main reason for switching is moving grade levels. We have a different hallway for each grade level. I was moved one time in my 3 years of teaching there and that was so I could be close to the other teachers on my team (that is when we did teaming) I think this is mainly decided by the assistant principal, and while convenience for the students is the top priority, he does look and tries to avoid a lot of teacher movement.

20. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

Jun 5, 2011

When my Principal moves us to the other side of the school, down the hall, or to a different floor is because of the Grade Level/Grade area.

I guess they do that for the Grade Level Teachers to be right next to each other. Like next year, I may be getting moved to 2nd Grade, I would be moved from my room on one side of the hall; to the other side of the hall, but down the hall.