Room arrangement

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jlj, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 26, 2010

I am so over the same basic arrangements in my room every year & would like something different! 1. How many of you still have housekeeping center? I like it and feel it should still be part of kinder class but it takes up so much space! 2. I need tables with enough seating for all to do large group handwriting lessons, snack, etc. which doesn't leave too many tables or space for separate centers. I teach ABEKA curri & they have "seatwork" during which time small group work is also going on. Any suggestions?

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2010

I feel the same way about housekeeping. They love that center, and I think it is VERY important, but I don't like the space it takes up. At the end of this year I made a difficult decision and got rid of my little stove and refrigerator BUT I kept everything that went with it (pots and pans, dishes, play food). I realized that over the past several years my students didn't use the stove and refrigerator. They played with the stuff, but didn't really pretend to cook. The refrigerator was just used for storage. So, I'm going to put the contents in a bin or two and they can get it out during choice time and just use it at a table. It breaks my heart a little bit, but I need the room!

I have enough table seating for all of my students to work at once. During centers, we use some of the tables and then some other areas. One center is always at the rug. One group is always at computers.

I did get rid of one of my student tables this year. I am HOPING to have no more than 24 students this year (that will be very nice after a few years with 27). However, if I have more than 24 students, I'll use my kidney table as student seating as well.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 27, 2010

I have a my kitchen and dollhouse in the corner of the room. The space is used during literacy and math as a quiet space to work... you just have to make the space as flexible and multi-purpose as possible. :D

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 27, 2010

I incorporate my dollhouse and kitchen into workstations. My dollhouse I had a writing activity for them to do with vocab and the housekeeping I would use for math-restaurant where they were ordering and adding money, etc. Are there parts of it you could keep? Mine is down to a fridge and a sink now, I got rid of the little picnic seating last year for space.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 27, 2010

I got rid of housekeeping halfway through my first year of teaching (2 years ago). I noticed that the kids played with it in the beginning of the year, but then they moved on to other things, even when I would add new things. It sat untouched for probably 2 weeks when I decided to take it out.

For me, it was a big space issue, too. I really wish I had the space, but my classroom is incredibly tricky (no corners, and almost no wall space). I still have some housekeeping stuff out, such as a doctor kit, dolls, food, dishes, and a cash register. I store it on shelves, and they just take it to different areas of the room to play.

I would highly recommend this book for new room arrangement ideas:
    http://www.amazon.com/Spaces-Places...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277682435&sr=8-1

It is full of amazing ideas for arranging your room and using spaces for multiple purposes. Debbie lays everything out step-by-step and there are tons of pictures.

7. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Jun 27, 2010

I'm in the middle of rearranging my room too! I went and just stared at it for a good hour today just trying to figure out where to put stuff. If I move one thing here, then it'll mess up something else. Or if I put one thing here, it blocks another thing. It's crazy! One thing I've found useful it this website...
    http://classroom.4teachers.org/

There is a way for you to kind of design your room and see where things can go!

8. kinderokSA

kinderokSA Rookie

Jun 27, 2010

I got switched with another Kinder teachr. I really LOVED my room. I now knew where i wanted everything and how it worked well with the students. But now i have t do it all over again. I re-painted my entire room, have boxes gallore to unpack and have to get organizing starting begin. Aug. Have fun with the rooms, looking at other teacher rooms and pics of their rooms is also fun. The two positives about my new room, loads of storage space and wall length windows :)