Ron Clark Book Group

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Calalilys, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 7, 2008

Is anyone interested in starting a book group about The Essential 55 or The Excellent 11 by Ron Clark? Both of these books have become my teaching bible and I would be interested in hearing how other teachers have used his methods in their classroom and what has worked/not worked.

3. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I have read the Essential 55, and I loved it too. I work with the students that Ron did, and I can see so many similarities in his experience and what I have seen so far. I am working on a plan to incorporate some of what he wrote about in my classroom next year, but I am also going to do CHAMPS, and I don't want to do too much, make sense?

I haven't read his Excellent 11, but I am interested in it. Another book I plan to read soon is Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire.

4. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

Yay, another fan of Ron Clark! What is CHAMPS? I actually picked up Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire when I was at Barnes & Noble today. I have heard so much good stuff about the book that I thought I'd give it a shot.

5. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

We are actually implementing the Essential 55 at our school this year. We are a rural/suburban (so sad to add suburban, but the NoVa sprawl has hit us!!) we have to edit some, and take some out that dont apply, but we are hitting one a week next school year!

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

SuperMissM: What a great idea! There was one school in my district that was doing that a few years ago. I'm not sure how well it worked out or if they're even doing it any longer. What type of reaction have teachers had towards implementing The Essential 55 next year?

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

I haven't read Excellent 11, so I may join in if you do.

8. teachall

teachall Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

My school read The Essential 55 as our professional study for 2nd semester. I really enjoyed reading his rules. I have not read the Essential 11. I would love to join in on this book discussion.:)

9. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

I would be interested in joining a book study on Ron Clark. I love his book and even though I am not a teacher yet, I would love to get feedback on what works and how others have implemented his rules.

10. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 25, 2008

Yes! I would love to. I am using his rules this year, ala Calalilys. Thanks Nichole for sending me your files. I already have my board up and I will post pictures soon. It would be great to have some support here as this is my first year trying this. All of my team teachers seem to be interested if this is going to work for me, so I really want this to be successful.

11. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

I can't wait to see your board, ArizonaTchr! I think the most important thing to keep in mind for the rules to be successful is to be consistent with them and practice what your preach. If you don't do it yourself, than how can you expect your students to? I've seen too many teachers tell their students to act a certain way but then they don't do it themselves. Anyhow, I'm sure you'll do a fabulous job with the rules because you're invested in seeing them work!

12. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 25, 2008

I'd be interested. Ron Clark spoke at my college, and I was able to met him. He is a very NICE guy! My signed copy of the Essential 55 is one of my prized possesions! I've read The Essential 11 too, but it's been awhile.

Calalilys, how do you post the rules in your room? I don't have a whole lot of space, but I'd love visual reminders to show my kids!

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 26, 2008

One of the errors I think our school makes is introducing his rules in the morning assembly and even reviewing them but the teachers aren't required and don't reinforce them in the classrom.

14. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

buck8teacher: I use 30 of the rules and post them on a bulletin board to start the year off. After we have gone through all 30 rules, I give each student a rule to illustrate and then I post their illustrations on the bulletin board so that they are a constant reminder as to what the rule looks like.

cutNglue: I feel like a lot of schools do stuff like that. Just because it's "talked about" doesn't mean that it's sinking in to the students and is worthwhile.

15. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 26, 2008

I have only read bits and pieces of each, but have implemented some of his ideas. I would be interested in a book group.

16. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

I have wanted to read these books forever. I was at Barnes and Noble today getting an Algebra book and saw The Essential 55 right in front of me and on the wrong shelf. I took it as a sign and bought it, too. I'd love to join. I can't wait to read it!

17. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 26, 2008

Calalilys,
    I used your thirty rules that you sent me so it looks just like yours! I am very excited to use them. Many of the rules are things I have stressed in the past, but now I have a visual to refer to. I am planning on using role-playing to learn the roles and then I will probably reward students who demonstrate proper use of the rules. I will post pictures on Monday!

18. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

I can't wait to see your pictures!

19. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

In case anyone is interested, the Ron Clark movie is airing again tonight on TNT at 9:00 Central.

20. gcdparma

gcdparma New Member

Aug 7, 2008

I, too, would love to join this book group. I have the Essential 55 and really like so much of what Ron Clark says here. I have been at the high school level for the past 8 years and hadn't come across him until I heard about Oprah's show. Interestingly enough, over my 30 years in education (last 16 as an administrator) I couldn't help but develop my own set of rules and many of mine, though stated a little differently, emphasize similar values. I was pleased to see a number of points of overlap of his 55 and my own. Still, I picked up a number of ideas in reading his work and am excited to incorporate them. I would value the opportunity to share ideas along this line.

Integrity and civility are critical components of positive human development, especially in our students. These qualities truly set them our young people up for lifelong success.

Calalilys
    I would love to see your list of 30 if you would be willing to email them to me...gcdparma@yahoo.com. Thanks for your post! Great idea!

Also, I would welcome any samples, ideas and/or suggestions any of you would care to share with me as to how I might help teachers incorporate this both in their classrooms and buildingwide.