Romeo and Juliet Help Needed

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SMS62, Feb 22, 2016.

1. SMS62

SMS62 New Member

Feb 22, 2016

Hello all,

I am in dire need for some creative insight. I am teaching 9th grade English and need some inspiration for our Romeo and Juliet unit. I am bored and I know that this is translating to the students. I keep researching project ideas online but keep coming up flat. My original intent was to have the students write an argument based essay about the ultimate fall of Romeo and Juliet. I may stick to this task but I feel as if there could be more life to be had with this classic text.

Typically, I seek to create authentic tasks for end of unit projects (i.e. something that results in a production of a piece or experience that can be applicable in the real world-or beyond our classroom walls). For example we have wrote reviews and submitted to the NY Times. Has anyone done anything along these lines for this unit?

I'm desperately seeking help/advice/ or resources that might help add some life back to my classes.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 22, 2016

I've talked about my explanatory (can be made persuasive) essay: "Use what you have learned from reading Romeo and Juliet to write a paragraph that explains which character(s) you believe are most to blame for the deaths of Romeo and Juliet. Develop your paragraph by providing textual evidence from the play." If your students are a little sick of Romeo and Juliet, make it a court case or an inquest. If you have a lively group, you might even have a mock inquest acted out, with you as the judge who decides if the textual evidence is relevant / sufficient. I did a whole lesson on textual evidence using a Judge Judy motif, and the students then collaborated on whiteboards with real evidence for who they thought was guilty. Even Gregory got the ringer for not recognizing Romeo when he needed a reader, thus starting the mess.

4. SMS62

SMS62 New Member

Feb 22, 2016

Oh wow! Gregory, poor guy but that shows how in depth they were reading to consider that option. I really like the idea of having a trial. I could see how this could maybe even turn into a character confessional.

Thank you!

5. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Feb 22, 2016

One creative project that I have used when I taught "Romeo and Juliet" was to have students create a memory book. This memory book must consist of a minimum of six pages and include diary entries, love letters, photographs, and other memorabilia.

SMS62 likes this.
  6. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Feb 23, 2016

Students can make a costume book. This assessment entails drawing a minimum of one authentic (based on research) costume for Romeo, Juliet, Mercutio, Prince Escalus, Nurse, Friar Laurence, Lord Capulet, Lord Montague, Lady Capulet, and Lady Montague. Each costume must be labeled according to the character, act, and scene. Students should incorporate a brief explanation of each costume and include a Works Cited section.

7. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Feb 23, 2016

I used to teach R&J to 8th graders, and they loved researching hair, makeup, clothes, and toilet styles and habits. Seriously, it's history at its most authentic. A comparison of the language with the King James Bible is also fascinating. Hint: people were nasty dirty, and the language is the same. Your students will never be able to sleep with an ear on the pillow ever again. Word history in R&J is also interesting; a fragment isn't what you might think it is.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 23, 2016

SMS62, welcome to A to Z. Your threads have been merged into one: forum rules strongly discourage multiple threads on the same topic by the same member at the same time, on grounds that keeping the discussion in one place facilitates better discussion.

9. SMS62

SMS62 New Member

Feb 23, 2016

Thanks for sharing these ideas! I like it. :)The memory book idea is clever. Did you tie this into an inquiry unit? We've been talking about blame and the themes of love. I'm thinking there's a way to merge this together.

10. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Feb 23, 2016

You're very welcome, SMS62. I'm glad that you liked this memory book idea. I have tied it to an inquiry unit before. The essential question was, "How did the protagonists' values, motivations or choices affect their everyday lives at the time?"

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 23, 2016

My tutoring student had to research theater during the Elizabethan period, sketch the Globe Theater, research monarchs, even write sonnets.