Roll Call!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by tipani06, Jan 15, 2013.

1. tipani06

tipani06 New Member

Jan 15, 2013

Kia Ora from New Zealand fellow teachers.

I am new to this site, so am finding my way around.

My question today is (and it's rather arbitrary), how long does roll call usually take you to do for each of your classes before you get into the teaching? I'm a student teacher myself (not yet done my practicum in schools), but have been told by a number of teachers of the time it takes to take roll call and settle the students before actually doing any teaching. One teacher told me, in some classes, by the time he had taken the roll call, figured out who was absent (and why), and settled them down, there was only 30 minutes left of actual teaching!

Does anyone else experience this?

3. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 15, 2013

I start the second class starts, and then as soon as the kids are occupied either copying something down, partner discussion, group work, etc I check off my list for who there or not.

I tried doing it first thing....doesn't work for me for whatever reason.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 15, 2013

I teach grade 1 and I just do a quick scan of the room to see who is missing. Unless I was teaching students a new language and they needed to practice greeting people, I wouldn't do an oral roll call.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2013

We do an oral roll call first thing in the morning and right after lunch. It takes no more than a minute to run through 30 names and have the students respond. I don't need to determine why students might be absent, just mark that they aren't in class.

6. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jan 15, 2013

when you make a seating chart it usually takes less than a minute to determine who is not present by visual inspection and then update your attendance book. Saves the time of reading names and waiting for responses.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2013

:yeahthat:
    Just look for the empty desks. Mine is a picture seating chart, which helps when you have a sub. (It also helps me, since I have a terrible memory for names!)

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 15, 2013

I have seating charts in sheet protectors clipped to a clipboard. I don't even do attendance myself. While students are working on kick-offs, I'm busy checking homework, so I have a student helper grab the clipboard each period and do attendance for me. I use the chart at the end of the day to enter it all into the ABI system.

Result, my entire starting procedure (kick-offs, checking homework, taking attendance, passing back papers) takes 5 to 10 minutes each period, and I don't ever forget to do attendance again so the attendance lady doesn't hate me!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2013

Yep.

In the beginning of the year, I do take actual attendance by calling students' names and asking them to respond. It helps me learn their names more quickly. And, since I teach a foreign language and make them respond in the target language, it gets everyone used to making the sounds of the language, even if it's just once during the class period. Everyone talks in the target language every single day, at least in the beginning of the year, before I start making them read aloud in the language. It's good practice. I should say that when I take attendance aloud like this, it really only takes 2-3 minutes. I can't imagine it taking 10-20-30 minutes. That just sounds ridiculous to me, honestly.

I take attendance, either aloud or just by looking at empty desks, while the students are engaged in their bellringer activity, which is done independently. They come in, read the assignment on the board, and get to work right away. If you don't already implement a bellringer/warm-up activity in your classes, you should definitely consider it.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 15, 2013

I just take roll at the beginning of each year. After that I just use my class list to see who is there, I can pretty easily notice who is there and who is not with little effort.

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 15, 2013

Be careful having students take attendance for you. It's a legal record and is your responsibility to maintain accurate records.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

If you have them do some sort of "bell work", you can do roll during that time so that way there is no down time.

I can't believe someone spends so long take roll that there is only 30 minutes left. What a waste of the students' time.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 15, 2013

Noted. I do double check every now and then, they're always reviewed first before I enter them into the system, and I only choose the most responsible of students to take roll.

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 15, 2013

I'm with the others - I take roll during class, once the students are engaged in something.

I technically have a fifteen minute window in which I *must take roll and put it into the computer system. Supposedly I shouldn't take roll for the first fifteen minutes in case the students are just tardy, not absent. And I am supposed to have it into the system within the first 30 minutes.it any longer.

15. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jan 15, 2013

I usually do attendance near the end of the hour when the kids are working independently.It takes less than a minute.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

Kids have an assignment to do every day when class starts, and I check attendance then. Takes less than a minute.

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 15, 2013

I find it is fastest to have assigned seats. I have them do some quick review assignment (5 minutes) when they walk in. While they do that I can quickly take attendance and make sure everyone is settled. I can see quickly which seats are empty and then see who is absent.