ROLL CALL --- Special Ed teachers & Parapros

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Jun 21, 2009.

1. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 29, 2009

Elementary, Middle School, or Secondary? Middle School (In our school, I'm also considered secondary.)
    Grades taught: 7th and 8th
    Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other: I'm considered resource. It depends on the kids in these grades. I teach a subject if I need to.
    How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)? There is one para who is assigned to me.
    How many years teaching/assisting? going in to my fourth
    Love your job, hate your job? I love my job most days. I do know that there isn't anything else I would like to teach. There are things that I would like to change for the better.

2. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2009

Bumping up...there must be more of you out there in Special Ed Land!

3. Piggy

Piggy Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

Elementary

Taught grades K-5th

Pull-out (small and whole group) and Inclusion
    Actually, I'm a para. I have my Early Childhood degree, but didn't like it. Recently, I took and passed my SpED test. I work with 2 other paras, in the Lifeskills room (I relieve the teacher for lunch).

I started since 2003. Around 6 years.

I love it. I enjoy working with small groups and the work is very rewarding. Being the only male in the school is cool, too. :)

4. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Jul 3, 2009

Early Start, 0-3 Infants & Toddlers, orthopedic & mulitiply disabled.

Center-based (self contained) & Home visits

2 Paras, one also is bi-lingual & helps to interprit & translate

4 years teaching, had 3 as a para

Love it! Had expected to be with prek spe ed, but fell into this & have found a nitch. Love the family component & working with other teachers in the deaf & vision areas (many of my kids cross over & are dually served).

5. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 4, 2009

WOW - TWT, you've got the tiny ones! Aww... :) I wasn't sure where to put you on the list, so I put you under "other" since it's a unique position. If you'd rather I put you somewhere else, let me know.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2009

TWT, that sounds like an awesome experience! How did you luck into a job like that?

7. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

* Elementary, Middle School, or Secondary? I am a h.s. teacher who just got transferred to elementary ed.
    * Grades taught: Used to be 9-12. Now not sure
    * Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other: I'm gonna take a wild guess I'll be a combo of self contained and in class. In the H.S. I was all self contained.
    * How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)?Last year it was 3. This year, not sure :)
    * How many years teaching/assisting? This will be my 3rd year.
    * Love your job, hate your job? Love it now that I'm in a good district! My first year was a definite test to my commitment.

8. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 14, 2009

Rockys mom - wow, what a change that will be for you! HS to elementary! Did you request that?

9. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

No I didn't request it, but I took it. In college I focused on elementary spec ed, but when I graduated there were no spots open. I took a high school position because I was certified 1-12.

My plan was to stay in the district as a h.s. teacher until an elementary opened up. It just happened to open up a lot faster then I was planning!

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 14, 2009

That was great for you then. Congratulations!!

11. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 15, 2009

Wow that makes 33 of us. Pretty cool! I wish I could meet up with that many sped teachers in person, don't you? Last year was my first year teaching and my district hosts a week-long new teacher program in August. I was the only sped teacher there - in a sea of new people. When we broke up and went to our training rooms, I didn't really fit in the middle school category because they were talking about gen ed. I asked if I could sit in the elementary sessions but I didn't really fit in there either. It sucked.

So it's nice to see so many of us in one spot! :)

12. MrsRogers

MrsRogers Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

Elementary, Middle School, or Secondary? Middle School
    Grades taught: 6th grade
    Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other: Push-out? (Inclusion/Co-teaching)
    How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)? Not sure yet
    How many years teaching/assisting? This will be my first year teaching, last year I was an assistant
    Love your job, hate your job?LOVE IT! :D

13. notaninstantwin

notaninstantwin New Member

Jul 17, 2009

I'm currently a preschool general teacher - and come 1 week I'll be a high school special ed teacher. 9-12, also dealing with adult 504's (tech college). I've taught 2 years preschool and before that 2.5 years in a K-5 pull out resource program.

Don't know about parapros (but I'm told that there are at least a couple), don't know anything about my schedule or ANYTHING. I'm worried about the high school thing.........

I'll update when I actually start work - Just looking for any tips / help I can get!

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2009

My son graduated this year with his SPED diploma and he was in self contained classes since he was 3 years old. I have dealt with his teachers closely all the way through. The thing I noticed about his HS teachers was that they dealt with their kids the same way we deal with our younger ones..with kindness and compassion. Things that will be different for you will be OJT programs, Vocational Rehabilitation people, and different class schedules. The 504"s will have a pretty high skill level. If you will be teaching a self contained HS class, most of your students will be academically elementary level, and you have taught that.
    I guess I'm trying to say that these kids will be much like the ones you are used to...just taller!

15. *teacheer*

*teacheer* New Member

Jul 17, 2009

Elementary, Middle School, or Secondary?: Secondary

Grades taught: 11th during student teaching (reg. ed.), will have 9th this year

Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other: resource in my own class, plus co-teaching

How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)?: none

How many years teaching/assisting?: This will be my first!

Love your job, hate your job?: I don't know yet. I hope I love it! I'm excited about it, but never having taught SpEd before is making me a bit nervous...like I won't measure up. As of right now, I'm loving that I have a job!

16. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Jul 17, 2009

Elementary

K-3

Self Contained ( 4-K's, 1-1st Gr, and 2-3rd Gr.)

Two parapros

30 years (7 sp.ed. then 23 yrs. in the classroom-primary level)
    I was moved out of 2nd gr. and given a choice of 2 sp.ed.
    positions. This was due to budget and that I am highly
    qualified to teach sp.ed. Living in a rural area, h.q. sp.ed.
    teachers are few and far between.

I have been disappointed about being moved out of 2nd grade.
    It has taken several months for me to get over this and
    start getting excited about the new position.

17. kmECSE

kmECSE Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

What a great thread idea! Nice to see so many of us :)

Elementary, Middle School, or Secondary? Elementary
    Grades taught: Early Childhood (3-5)
    Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other: Inclusion/Push-In
    How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)? Two
    How many years teaching/assisting? Two
    Love your job, hate your job? Each day is different! Most days I love it!

18. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

I didn't see myself listed and I had responded. I am a Spec Ed TA, here was my previous response:

Elementary, Middle School, or Secondary? Middle School last year transferred to High School this upcoming school year
    Grades: 6-8th grade this year, High School 9-12th next year
    Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other: Self-Contained - EDHow many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)? I am a para(asst) and there is one teacher and one 1 to 1 para(asst).
    How many years teaching/assisting? Asst -One year.
    Love your job, hate your job? It's o.k. special ed is not where I want to be permanently I am in the process of becoming licensed to teach CTE

19. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

Updated! Sorry guys - I went on vacation and then when I got home I was sick. Gah. :rolleyes:

Sorry wannabe - - I had you on there, you were just in the wrong spot.

teacheer - You'll be great! If you do hit any rough spots, just pick our brains and we'll help you out. This will be my 2nd year, but I'll be doing the same thing - at a different school. So I'm a little nervous myself!

notaninstantwin -- (great nic btw, ha) beckysuek is probably right about the elementary level of the secondary s-c kiddos. Because if they were higher, they would just do resource push/pull. UNLESS, you're a resource teacher. Please do let us know when you find out (that must totally suck being in the dark like that!) and I'll put you on the roll call. :)

20. Piggy

Piggy Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I'm finally a full-time teacher.

I'm going to be an Elementary Alternative Academics teacher, self-contained. K-5th grades.

21. YesICan

YesICan Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

How did you get the questions to print in your reply?? I had to copy them down on paper to remember them.

I'm an elementary self-contained classroom teacher of 3rd - 4th-5th graders with mild/moderate learning disabilities. I've been teaching for four years, and have from 6 - 10 students each year with one paraprofessional. I like my job, but find it overwhelming most of the time. It's like running down a steep mountain from the day school starts until the last day, and I stay late and go in at least one afternoon on the weekends. I am constantly making curricular materials, keeping up with all the paper - both from students and admin - and creating lessons for each student's goals, and making daily schedules to address them all. In addition, I'm supposed to be teaching science and social studies!
    So I like that there are endless possibilities of things to do, and all of them will help my students, but I find it exhausting, and am always looking for ways to simplify things and put boundaries around the time I spend in my room.

22. YesICan

YesICan Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

How many students are on your caseload?

23. YesICan

YesICan Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I will have 2 students with autism next year, 3rd graders. Can you recommend anything specific that would be helpful to prepare me to work with them? Or tips for working with them? I know nothing about working with autism, but I'vd had some intro to Asberger's, which I don't think my new students are.

24. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

High School
    Grades taught: 9-12
    Self-contained school
    How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)? 1 great para! :) I love my para.
    How many years teaching/assisting? 1 (going into my 2nd year)
    Love your job, hate your job? I LOVE my job and can't believe it took me so long to figure out that this is what I should be doing with my life. :)

25. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 1, 2009

Updated. ;)

There used to be a teacher that posted on here regularly and I haven't seen her in awhile. She actually had "autism" in her user name and ran an autism website that had tons of tips. Maybe she'll see this and help you out. Autism is sooooo broad that it's hard to give general tips. I know that kiddos with autism need lots of structure and there's even a program called "The Structured Classroom" that involves a series of work combined with small breaks that has been proven to work really well with this population.

I'm sorry that you're working yourself so hard. It would be a good idea if you came to the forum and picked our brains about specific behaviors when you come across them this fall. We'll all be happy to help. Meanwhile, don't stress. Enjoy the rest of your vacation. And ask someone to teach you the old "cut and paste" on the computer which is how you post original questions in your posts and answer them. ;) (Easier shown in person, but if you "highlight" what you wanted copied, then hit "copy", go to your new post and hit "paste" - they should be there.)

26. penelope10

penelope10 New Member

Aug 2, 2009

New Resource 4th Grade Teacher

Grades taught: 4th Grade this year!
    Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other: Resource pull-in and/or Resource push-out
    How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)? Do not know but possibly none.
    How many years teaching/assisting? 1 year
    Love your job, hate your job? Loving it!

27. ASDTeacher

ASDTeacher Rookie

Aug 25, 2009

* Elementary, Middle School, or Secondary? Middle School
    * Grades taught: 1-4, now middle school
    * Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other: Self contained, Autism
    * How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)? 1
    * How many years teaching/assisting? 8 years
    * Love your job, hate your job? Now that I switched to teaching Autism, I love it!

28. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 25, 2009

Self-Contained (PMLD)
    Grades in Class - can be k-12, currently I have students in 3-12
    6 Learning Assistants in my classroom
    7.5 Students in my classroom
    4th Year Teaching Special Education (18th year teaching)
    I have the greatest job in the world!

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2009

I have to ask--7 and a half students?!?

30. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2009

Probably a student who only attends school half days. Or only spends half of the day in the room and the other half in another classroom.

31. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2009

That is nuts that they can have a kindergartner in the same class as a twelfth grader.

32. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Aug 25, 2009

Wanna be added? Answer these QUESTIONS:
    Elementary, Middle School, or Secondary?

Elementary/Early Childhood

Grades taught:

Kindergarten (our building is only kindergarten....we have it for the entire county - 17 classes of gen ed kinder and nothing else).

Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other:

Officially I am self-contained, but as the year goes on and more kids get added to my caseload, I usually wind up working some resource pull-out into my schedule also.

How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)?

Depends on the year. Last year I had 1, then 2, then 3 as the year progressed. This year I am starting with one.

How many years teaching/assisting?

This is my 8th.

Love your job, hate your job?

Love the kids and teaching, hate the politics.

33. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 25, 2009

Grades taught: K-2
    Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other: Self-Contained ED

How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)? One para. Also collaborate with gen ed teachers for bits of inclusion as the kiddos are ready.

How many years teaching/assisting? 2 Special Education, 4 Head Start.

Love your job, hate your job? Right now? Love. :woot:

34. etrad

etrad Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

* Elementary, Middle School, or Secondary? Elementary
    * Grades taught: K-5
    * Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other:Resource Pull and Push
    * How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)? 0
    * How many years teaching/assisting?3
    * Love your job, hate your job? Both, love it most days! :)

35. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Aug 28, 2009

Elementary - 1st grade inclusion teacher split between two classroos. I work with the regular education teacher in both rooms, a one on one aide and an inclusion aide who will be covering the classroom I'm not in. This is my first full year but last year I was pulled from an aide position to teach from January to the end of the year. I love my job but would really love to have a regular education position. Unfortunately, those jobs seem to go to people with connections.

36. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 29, 2009

Welcome to all you new folk! And I updated the roll call finally. Sorry about that. I've been so busy with school, I haven't been on here as much! busy busy busy...

37. Tweety

Tweety New Member

Aug 29, 2009

Elementary
    I've taught K-5
    Self contained
    Currently have two paraprofessionals
    Taught for approximately 18 1/2 years
    Love my job, but hate all the bureaucracy

38. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 30, 2009

* Elementary, Middle School, or Secondary? ELEMENTARY
    * Grades taught: 3
    * Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other: INCLUSION PUSH IN
    * How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)? 1
    * How many years teaching/assisting? 11+
    * Love your job, hate your job? LOVE IT ALTHOUGH STRESSFUL AT TIMES.

39. rmarie26

rmarie26 Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

* Elementary, Middle School, or Secondary?
    I am teaching secondary English and Science 6th-8th grade.
    * Grades taught:6-8
    * Self-contained, Resource pull-in, Resource push-out, or other:
    I am teaching SDC English and Science. One single subject different students each period self contained.
    * How many parapros do you work with (or paras - how many teachers do you work with)? I will only have one para that I will be working with for next year.
    * How many years teaching/assisting? 3 years this year will be my 4th year.
    * Love your job, hate your job? I absolutely love my job!

40. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

I have taught high school, intermediate, and middle school

Grades 5th-12th

Severe-Profound, Autism, Multiple Disabilities

Self-Contained Special Day Classroom

I have 4 paraeducators this year, 2 of my paraeducators are actual health-care assistants too due to the fragility of my students.

October 1, 2009 will be 10 full years of teaching moderate-severe disabilities

Honestly I loved working in Autism Support until I got burned out by having too many students placed into my classroom. I moved back to severe-profound multiple disabilities because there was an opening. It's very difficult to do things with these students because their attention is so limited. It's best to try to stimulate them with a variety of different activities. I am blessed to be a teacher though.