Roleplaying Game in School

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lankyogre, May 29, 2011.

1. lankyogre

lankyogre New Member

May 29, 2011

I work at a before and after school program run by the school district that becomes an all day program during school breaks. We create activities that align to our district curriculum as extension type activities and to structure the time with our kids. We have broken our summer up into three themes, and one of those is space.

I personally play a lot of board games, tabletop games, and roleplaying games, and I keep trying to find ways to incorporate my skills and interests into lessons.

I vaguely remember an activity when I was in middle school that was similar to Oregon Trail, but was all paper and pencil, without a computer. If I remember correctly, our class was broken into groups that each represented the crew of a sailing ship coming to the Americas. Each day we had decisions to make and the next class our teacher would tell us the results. Occasionally, random things would spring up like storms, spoiled food, etc.

I was thinking of doing a similar activity for kids based on space exploration and was wondering if anybody had heard of something similar.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

3. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jun 30, 2011

I used to do things like this when I was a kid too. It would be fairly easy to make something like this if you thought of 2 or 3 scenarios and some choices for each, built around key points you'd like to hit.