Rocket Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Jan 25, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 25, 2014

I purchased the PDF versions of the addition and subtraction Rocket Math program. I spend the past few days reading the manual, making copies, and organizing everything. I think I'm ready to start!

For those who use the program, once you get into the swing of things, how long does it take each day? I do not plan on using class time to correct the drills, since we only have 1 hour of math. Between the partner practice and 1-minute drill I am thinking (and hoping!) that it will only take about 6 minutes per day.

I plan on having their next practice sheet in their folder each day, all ready to go. I am also going to choose the partners myself, and they will have the same partner until I choose to switch them up (weekly? monthly?). I am even going as far as to choose exactly where each pair will sit in the classroom. I'm hoping this will help them get started quickly.

Does anyone have any other advice? How many days per week do your students do Rocket Math?

3. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jan 29, 2014

10 minutes every day is what I've been reading for students to be successful in their math skills; not that I've been stellar keep up with that skill every day because of the make up of my class and the time we have for lessons.

Your post perked my interest in the program; so much that I started really digging into and talked to our math curriculum advisor about it to use with one of my small groups. I got the thumbs up to give it a try.

I hope others will share their suggestions. :)

4. snoopy78

snoopy78 Rookie

Feb 2, 2014

Very good program for math fluency. It is time consuming to grade, record and reload folders with new sheets every day. When I had an aid for one hour each day, it could be done. But, now it's impossible to manage. It would usually take 20-30 minutes every day for me or my aid. Maybe you'll be able to manage it better than I did. Please let me know how it goes!