Rock and a Hard Place

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Anjuba, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Anjuba

Anjuba Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

I am a mid-life career changer. My original BA was in English. I got started on the educational path via alternative licensure. A principal friend told me very bluntly that even though that is considered highly qualified in Ohio, any admin would always choose a traditionally licensed candidate over me. :(

This was not true when I accepted a position at a Turkish run charter school. However, for numerous reasons, I chose not to stay after my first year.

Meanwhile, I got my M. ED. with licensure. There were other programs that offered licensure classes, but I had to be degree seeking in order to get financial aid.

So, now I am at the far end of the salary schedule with only one year of experience. Most districts can save $5K-$7K by hiring someone with only a bachelor's degree.

I am very educated, yet not hireable. :help:

3. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Aug 28, 2010

Hmmm...this is hard. In my state, even with an advanced degree, pay is still dependant primarily upon experience. Additional pay for an advanced degree comes in after three years experience.

Is there another charter school or private school you could apply at where you could negotiate your salary? Catholic schools in my archdiocese generally pay less than public but you might be able to come to an arrangement with them. Not to say you should negotiate less, but it might be worth it to take the pay cut for a couple of years to make yourself more marketable in the future.

I don't know if this helps at all, but I am a career changer also and only have a BA. My principal was a career changer back before alts so he isn't biased. He told me during my first evaluation that career changers really know how to get things done. Is it possible to apply for a less easy to fill position?

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2010

Many districts in Virginia specifically state that they will give preference to people who have relevant masters degrees. I think this situation really varies widely by area.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 28, 2010

While some (or maybe even several) districts will give preference to an education major, I think it will still come down to who is the best fit for the school and the team in many cases (if the admin is truly concerned about getting the best teachers for their school setting). So focus on the unique things (ideas, experience, etc) you can bring to a specific school and convince them you are the BEST possible choice for their team. Not all of the schools will agree, of course. In fact, there will probably be many that don't. But focus on what you CAN bring (a wider variety of real world experience) rather than what you can't (an undergrad degree in education). Even though you're an alternative licensee, you ARE still considered "Highly Qualified" by the State licensing board, so that means you DO know the content and how to teach it.

Secondly, I was also going to suggest you might offer some flexibility on your salary to make yourself more marketable, if that is possible.

Good luck. Keep us informed on your progress. :thumb:

6. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Aug 28, 2010

I assume this was a Harmony school. There's a few around me, and I wouldn't mind hearing about your experience and decision not to stay.

I'm an alt cert candidate for internship with an M.A. in my field. The pay differential is minor (and I'd gladly waive it) but I do worry it works against me as a 0-yr experience teacher.