Robin Williams- dead at 63

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by giraffe326, Aug 11, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2014

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2014

How sad.

I always found him disturbingly manic.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2014

How sad. He was a genius at comedy and improv.what a load for his family as well.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2014

Oh what a sad waste of talent.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2014

Woah & from suicide. One never knows what's going on in someone's head.

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 11, 2014

What a shock and so very sad.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 11, 2014

My favorite moment of his was on one of the awards shows years ago-I think it might have been the Golden Globes. And Christine Lahti won and they announced it but she was in the ladies room. He was not even one of the presenters but I guess in the front row and got up just cutting up for the audience while they waited for her. I think it takes real talent to be funny when it's not rehearsed! A real loss.

9. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Aug 11, 2014

Oh my gosh, I am at a loss for words. He was one of my favorite actors of all time, and I am not one for following actors and actresses at all. So sad.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 11, 2014

I did not care for him as an actor, but every human life has value in my opinion, so I'm sorry for his family, friends, and fans.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2014

A wonderful talent gone too soon.

12. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Aug 11, 2014

One of my fav's loved him in Good Morning Vietnam and the Fisher King. Great memories taking the kids to see Mrs. Doubtfire. His death has hit me hard....feel like I know him. Crazy huh?

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 11, 2014

Mr. Keating in Dead Poet's Society is the teacher we all aspire to be. He played the role brilliantly. RIP, O Captain, my Captain.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 11, 2014

This just broke my heart. :(

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2014

My thoughts exactly. So incredibly sad to lose such a talented actor.

16. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2014

Depression is such a terrible illness. Poor guy. I hope he is resting now.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2014

My first memory of him is in Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry Be Happy video. I had two older cousins. I always pretended that I was Bobby McFerrin, my cousin that was 3 years older was Robin Williams, and my oldest cousin (6 years older) was Bill Irwin.

:lol: I was like 4 or 5.

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 11, 2014

Robin Williams was a great actor but also a seemingly wonderful person. He did a lot of work with children's hospitals and for the troops overseas. Something that I just learned was that he paid a good deal of Christopher Reeves' medical expenses, because they were such good friends.

It just shows what a horrible disease depression is. It can be so hard, too hard, to beat.

19. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 11, 2014

So so sad :(

My first memory of him was when he was on Happy Days as Mork from Ork with Fonzie..I was a little kid but I just thought he was hysterical!! And then of course his own hit show Mork & Mindy came to be and I just loved him and Pam Dawber together!

Mrs. Doubtfire was also great!!!!! He did a guest appearance on Law & Order SVU with Christopher Meloni & Mariska Hargitay and he was brilliant as a grieving, mad scientist!

I thought he was a genius. I got chills when I saw the report on tv this evening. What a tremendous loss to his 3 children, his wife, his friends, fans....the world.

20. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 11, 2014

I was really saddened by this…Robin Williams was part of my childhood. My favorite movies by him was Hook and Mrs. Doubtfire. I also liked his "fukitol" comedy skit :lol: He was hilarious. But also someone who I NEVER thought would take his own life…

I myself deal with depression and it is not fun. So hearing that a talented actor and comedian suffering and taking his own life really saddens me. It's sad that depression is real, and that even someone famous has these feelings too. When I feel down, I always remind myself that every second of life is precious. He went way too soon.

I feel sorry for his family and friends, and I hope they find the closure that they need. May he rest in peace.

21. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2014

22. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 12, 2014

Honestly the most unexpected celebrity death since Steve Irwin.

He went way too soon.

23. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 12, 2014

Extremely sad. My first thought when I heard the news reveals one of my remaining childhood naivetes: Aren't adults supposed to know when and how to get help?

24. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 12, 2014

I'm still in shock. Just remembering...he was also Popeye (the sailor man) I thought he was a
    great Popeye:love::love:

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

26. smalltowngal

Aug 12, 2014

27. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 12, 2014

28. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2014

Robin Williams had immense talent. It's sad that he killed himself. But for me he's not anymore important --- news wise --- than the U.S. Army private who steps on a landmine in Afghanistan and gets blown into a thousand pieces. And yet, we don't hear much about the private, do we? Are celebrities that much more important than the rest of us??? Not for me. Not by a long shot.

Why don't people in general, and "celebrities" in particular, MOURN the loss of a 20 something year old private? It's an honest question... and not meant to take away at all from the talented Williams.

(Yes, I have a personal reason for asking this) :)

29. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2014

As a celebrity obsessed culture, the mainstream media focuses on those people, forgetting our brave men and women that serve our country.

I have been stalked by paparazzi, rather briefly, but I have been. Right after DH deployed after Sept 11 we made the newspapers for three towns, the news for half the state, and everyone wanted a picture of us as a family saying goodbye.

We refused, as we were never asked before they published a picture of us and put a false headline (it looked like DH was crying, he was yawning and complaining about having to listen to a four our lecture on how to use military health insurance. As former full timers, we knew already) It caused no end of problems for extended family, who as a whole panicked. DH doesn't cry.

We ended up hiding in a coat closet to say goodbye alone. We had to wait for twenty mins outside the buses before the soldiers left, away from each other, just to protect our families privacy. Even our home was staked out for three days.

All in all they wanted a picture of a grieving military family, we meant so little to them that they didn't even get our names right.

Those soldiers that serve, and pay the ultimate price deserve respect, honor and more than anything to be publicly acknowledged and remembered.

Robin Williams was a great actor, but he isn't more important than a young solider who gave up his life. Especially now that the story had devolved into all the gory details of how he died. Those should be kept private

30. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 12, 2014

Sad that such great talent is gone. He contributed much to the world. He was a big supporter of charity causes and our military troops.
    Two of my favorite movies were Mrs. Doubtfire and Bird Cage. I've seen those movies many times and they always make me laugh.

31. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 12, 2014

I don't think more important, but I do think people feel like they have a connection with them through the characters they play, the interviews they read. Many people know the names of celebrities' children, etc. They feel like they know them. So it does feel like a personal loss.

I understand that concern. Mine is that there are all these quotes and declarations of how he inspired people-I wonder why people don't express those things while people are alive. I wonder if that would have made a difference in his decision to do what he did.

32. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 12, 2014

I was shocked when I first saw it on FB and hoped dearly that it was a hoax. A few minutes later there was a special report that broke into the TV show that was on. I am stunned.

33. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 13, 2014

I work with emotionally disabled students, and I can guarantee that his suicide will send shock waves throughout the school, to both the students and the staff. I see the destruction of alcohol and drug abuse, as well as the stigma attached to mental health issues. As I told my son when he had to attend the funeral of a young man who committed suicide, sometimes the pain simply clouds the brain long enough for a bad idea to seem OK. At that one moment, they are victims who can't see the pain and suffering that will haunt everyone who loves them, but those foibles are what make us human. Robin Williams brought great joy to the world, and had he been thinking 100% clearly he would have found another way to deal with his depression and/or pain. Let us remember his fine qualities and be mindful that mental difficulties can strike the high and mighty as well as the humble and seemingly insignificant. In reality, in God's eyes, they are equally important, so we should be careful not to judge what we can not understand. I pray his family can love the good man they knew, and let that guide their days ahead.:mellow:

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2014

I agree... Usually we can remember our age (or there about...time in our life) when we saw his movie or something he did. Maybe we saw him in so many things we kind of grew up with him being "there" in our TV or on the screen.

With a soldier unless we are from their area ... I personally don't know a lot of soldiers serving now... but my heartbreaks for their families when I do hear about them.

As far as Robin William's goes... LOVED is comedic timing.... So many wonderful movies & memories I have associated with them.... Thank You Mr. Williams....

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 13, 2014

Very sad :(
    I agree with the previous poster about knowing the soldier or being from their area. There was one killed from our area and he was mentioned in the news for weeks. They had a parade, fundraisers for his family, etc. He was definitely mourned and honored.
    With celebrity deaths, some people feel like they did know them personally. I know people who actually cried when Elvis and Michael Jackson died and yesterday one of my FB friends said she cried when she heard about Robin Williams.

36. smalltowngal

Aug 13, 2014

This is a great way to put it.

As for the differences between media coverage of Robin Williams and the soldiers, I think it stems from the fact that Robin Williams is a household name for many generations of people. The young man who dies serving our country does deserve recognition, I agree, but is not a household name so the news outlets don't report on it. Sad, but that's the world we live in.

37. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

It's just unreal... And quite a shame.

38. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 13, 2014

We can't know of every fallen sparrow, but even learning of the few we do know is a cautionary tale on the fragility and brevity of life.

39. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 13, 2014

Did you see his daughter had to delete her Instagram and Twitter accounts because people were being so horrible in their comments. That is just so wrong-the internet can't even be nice for a minute. :(

40. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 13, 2014

Did you see the horrendous Matt Walsh blog on the topic? I won't link it, because I cannot in good faith connect to that trash. That man honestly makes my blood boil.

I will, however, link to this.

41. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 13, 2014

kcjo13, thank you for fleshing out what I may have said poorly. It is the rare person who hasn't been touched by the suicide of a close family member or friend. My friend's son died at 19, and no one could understand why, with so much to live for. But on that fateful night, alone, and unable to deal with the demons that he kept inside, I am sure he thought it was the right thing to do. It wasn't, of course, but he didn't cope or reach out, and the moment of fear, or pain, or confusion was what ruled his actions, and then he was gone. I have worked with several students who have attempted suicide, sometimes more seriously than others, and what they never seem to get is that even a half-hearted attempt may end your life, instead of being a cry for help. I so understood about jumping from a burning building, as I was terrified to see the victims of 9/11 choosing to fall to their deaths instead of facing the fires that consumed the towers on that awful day. Years later, I still can't bear to watch that on the documentaries that have been produced. How can any of us know what is inside another's decision or mindset? Would that we could change this chain of events, but it is not to be. I hope that none who are here will face such pain and mental suffering, but we can't predict tomorrow, can we?