Robbed today

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Mrs. K., Feb 1, 2013.

1. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2013

The back door was partly open when DH got home. Almost all of my jewelry is gone. That's all the guy took--left three laptops, TVs, my phone (which I had forgotten again), my Kindle... A neighbor actually saw him leaving our house; the police went over to talk to her, but I rather despair of getting any of my things back. I remembered a lot of what was in my jewelry case, and my best friend helped me estimate value--it's several thousand dollars. Insurance will cover a small amount. I could kick myself for not selling all those gold chains I never wore. I'm most upset about losing my wedding ring, though it no longer fit on my finger, and a tiny cross my mom gave me when I was about 12.

The officers who came said there's been a big upswing in residential burglaries lately.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2013

This is terrible to hear. I'm so sorry. :(

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

How terrible and scary. So sorry. :(

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

How awful :(

Why didn't your neighbor think something was strange when someone left your house and no one was home?

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2013

I don't know...I'm sure she feels bad about that. She's older, and she was just out for a walk. She even spoke to the guy, and noticed his car; she may have been able to give the officers a good description. Of course, even if she had called the police this afternoon, it probably wouldn't have mattered; it took them over two hours to get here when we called.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

Oh man! How horrible! I'm glad they didn't take more, but I would feel really violated just knowing they were in the house.

Actually, we were robbed when I was in high school. My brother was the only one home and they held him up at knife point. He was still in junior high. My brother begged that they didn't hurt our pets. They took a TON of stuff. :( I hate this sort of stuff, but I believe in karma....

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 1, 2013

So sorry this happened!

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2013

I am very sorry this happened. It feels like such a violation which I think it worse than the monetary loss. :hugs:

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 1, 2013

Mrs. K., I'm sorry to hear this.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 2, 2013

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2013

I'm so sorry.

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 2, 2013

I am so sorry!

14. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2013

I'm so sorry.

Home invasions happen far too often here and I hear stories like this way more than I would like.

I hope the police can find some of the things that were taken :(

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 2, 2013

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Hope you can regroup over the week-end.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 2, 2013

I am so sorry!

My tiny town has had a rash of break ins lately. They are stealing cash, jewelry and guns. They come in during the day, kick in the door.

Most of the homes have been in the countryside. My mom lives outside of town, no neighbors. She has taken photographs of all of her jewelry and moved the most meaningful pieces to a safety deposit box. She moved some of her guns. She also took a video camera through her home and documented items.

We thought an arrest had been made earlier in the week, but haven't heard any details ... so, maybe not.

We have 2 indoor dogs that would MELT DOWN if someone kicked in the door. I don't know if that is a good thing or not, worries me that my dogs might get injured.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 2, 2013

My aunt and uncle were robbed last year. It cost them almost $30,000. They even took my uncle's underwear! My cousins have gotten over it but my uncle hasn't. I don't know how I'd react. The robbers locked their dog in a room after kicking her :( she stays in a crate during the day now.

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 2, 2013

I am so sorry! I was robbed when I was in college and it is such a violation. I'm glad you and your family are safe. The rest is 'stuff' - it can be replaced.

19. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 2, 2013

I'm sorry to hear that. They say that this type of thing will be more common... in this economic climate. It's a wake-up call for sure, because I know I've lulled into a sense of complacency as it relates to security (I have a big dog, but I'm sure everyone in the area knows how nice, i.e. not mean, she is). Also, I'm going to pay attention to others in the neighborhood. Sorry again.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 2, 2013

That is so awful and upsetting. I feel for you.

21. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Feb 2, 2013

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you. You will eventually get past the feeling of your home being violated, but it does take quite awhile. We were burglarized a few years back. The second time the guy came back, I was at home. Even my husband can't understand the strong feelings I still have about the incident.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2013

Wow! I am so sorry this happened! :hugs: I agree with others that have spoke about the invasion of privacy. I hope that they are at least able to catch this guy. I haven't heard of anything like this happening in my neighborhood, but you never know. I have two small dogs that stay in the house and one German Shepard in the backyard. I would be more afraid for my pups than anything else.

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

So sorry that this happened to you, Mrs. K.

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 2, 2013

I'm sorry. I hope they thief is caught.

25. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2013

We'll certainly be checking the doors! What happened was that DH ran out of propane halfway through grilling, and just slid the door closed as he hustled in with his hands full. I'm also going to figure out a way to store the few things I have left, and any new pieces, in a much more hidden and secure way. I'll "salt" a jewelry box with cheap items, just in case someone is bold enough to break a window to get in. And I think I'll put a big dog bowl and a massive half-chewed rawhide out by the back door! (We have an 18-year-old cat who probably didn't even notice what happened.)