Rituals to have a good day?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 5, 2016

I learned from the SCM site about a mantra that you should say each morning:

"No matter how surprising, unexpected, or crazy behavior or my day is, I will NOT lose my composure."

Since I've started saying this, I've never had a day where I've lost my composure to a great extent.

I also try to say "I will move slowly, speak calmly, and protect every students' right to learn by following my classroom management plan."

That mostly works but not all the time.

This morning, I'm feeling very tired and sleepy and the last thing I want to do is teach a bunch of classes. Any ideas for what I could do to wake myself up (besides coffee)?

Also what do you do every morning to ensure that you will have a good day?

ms.irene, miss-m and otterpop like this.
  3. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 5, 2016

I have a few podcasts that I listen on the way to work. They are mostly spiritual type podcasts that talk alot about our work in the world. These usually put me in the right frame of mind! They also remind me that I am a human being, not a human doing. I try not to worry as much about the things I am doing as much as the person I am becoming as I am doing them.

Backroads, PallasAthena and Peregrin5 like this.
  4. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 5, 2016

I look at cute pictures of my kids (my actual kids, not my students) on my phone. Always cheers me up!

Peregrin5 likes this.
  5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 5, 2016

Prayer?

Peregrin5 likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 5, 2016

This is one I need to work on too.

MissCeliaB, Upsadaisy and Peregrin5 like this.
  7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2016

I wake up and go to a job I love....that's pretty much a good work day.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  8. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Oct 8, 2016

I second prayer! Love my morning prayer time - I usually do a devotional of some kind. Some deep breathing and meditation also helps my mind to focus for the day.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 8, 2016

I always remind myself that if it weren't for the crazies I deal with every day (I'm only partially joking), I wouldn't be able to afford a nice home, car, and all the other amenities that I'm fortunate enough to have.

Peregrin5 and smalltowngal like this.
  10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 8, 2016

I don't do any mantras or affirmations, but (this is my 4th year teaching) I've always liked my job. Some days it's hard to get out of the bed because I'm tired and I try to sleep just a little longer, but as I get up, I try to remind myself to smile. That is usually enough.
    I subbed for 2 years and was so jealous of the teachers whose classrooms I covered. I never forget how much I wanted to be a teacher, and now that I am, I am grateful.
    During the days / even weeks when things are a bit rough with some of my classes, I put on my mental warface and vow to not let anyone mess with me. That's usually enough as well :)

Peregrin5 likes this.
  11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2016

Whenever I start finding myself frustrated or significantly negative (when that negativity isn't the disappointment-leading-to-a-learning-moment kind), I always try to push myself to find positive moments that are happening in the classroom & call them out more often, re-establishing positive interactions with those who might have been driving some of that frustration, and trying to insert a bit of fun, laughter, and smiles into the day.

There are times though, when it also is a great learning opportunity for the kids, and I've even highlighted / shared some of those times as a class: there will be moments, times, days when you are frustrated or not feeling (physically or mentally) your absolute best...how do you use those feelings to empower yourself instead of it driving you to shut down? A few of my students over the years have especially needed this, and seeing a model of it is so important for them!

12. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 8, 2016

Coffee! Coffee and more coffee!! Seriously. My students always ask me how I am always so enthusiastic lol!! It's a great way to start my day when I get in the building.

Also getting in a little bit early after having made all copies the day before instead of rushing right before class makes a huge difference in my anxiety.

13. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Oct 10, 2016

I meditate every morning when I first wake up and do some stretches. This really helps me. I have an app on my iPad called Stop, Breathe, Think--it is a guided meditation app. It's really fun and helpful. Also available for Android. :)

Peregrin5 likes this.
  14. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Oct 12, 2016

My school has started mindful meditation school-wide, and we breathe with our classes every morning. I find that really helps me stop and get centered and be present in the moment, which helps my anxiety. I'm usually one of those people constantly thinking about what is coming up, what i need to cross off my to-do list, or what just happened in the previous class and how it could have gone better etc. So I find that taking time to slow down and be in the moment with my class really helps.

linswin23 and Peregrin5 like this.
  15. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2016

I always listen to NPR in the car on the way to work. I find it soothing (even if the news is depressing at times!). I especially like it when the timing works out and I get to hear Storycorps or the California Report.

Once at school, I put on a playlist of high-energy French hiphop/pop music that gets me feeling upbeat.

I also like to have a moment to check these forums as a way to know there are others out there having the same struggles as I have on certain days!

And yes, my thermos of hot coffee helps more than anything else! I get a Starbucks on Fridays -- it's been my "reward" for making it to Friday for years.

I start all my classes with a quiet journaling activity (some of my classes do this more quietly than others lol). It gives me a moment of calm and a chance to check in with students as needed.

linswin23 and Peregrin5 like this.
  16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 12, 2016

I don't drink coffee, but I do love the cucumber-lime Rockstar.

If I feel the day is off, I have little qualms about slowing things down. I've even been known to revert to some independent reading time or even an art project. If I'm off, there's nothing wrong with just rolling with it every now and then.

If I'm feeling off and can get to school early, I make sure my desk and my board are shipshape. The clealiness and neatness can help get me back on track.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    ms.irene, linswin23 and Peregrin5 like this.
  17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 12, 2016

I have used www.gonoodle.com, particularly the "Flow" videos to calm myself down, and the kids too... I find it's great for all of us to take a moment to calm ourselves down.

linswin23 likes this.
  18. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 12, 2016

Could you give any more information on what this looks like? Do you follow some kind of program? I think this is a great idea, especially if the whole school is doing it.

19. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Oct 12, 2016

I love this thread! I'm getting so many tips and ideas. I think teachers need to practice good mental health habits. I think this issue is so important in our profession and is often under looked. I wish in college they had a course about the realities of teaching and how to mentally deal with them--it has taken me years to get to the place I am now--mentally--as a teacher.

20. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 13, 2016

This post will probably trail on a tangent, but here I go:

My mentor when I started teaching was a great retired teacher whom I admired, but she was extremely academic and I think that's where I ran into many a problem with her. I fairly modeled the procedures and routines of my student teaching cooperating teacher, who had all sorts of mini rituals and brain breaks.

My mentor hated them. Flat-out said they were a waste of time in the learning day.

21. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2016

I could see people having different styles, but that definitely sounds like she was more closed-minded. I don't do some of the "brain breaks" that many think of, and instead build in movement by having 4 different partnerships that they're always walking over to to meet with throughout the day, and "quasi"-breaks such as vocab charades, that really are academic work masquerading as a break, but that doesn't mean that I don't think they're a waste of time: it depends on the individual teacher and how it's used!

(Then again, I feel that way about most in education - make sure your practice matches the research, but otherwise one should have an open mind to many possible successful routes).

linswin23 likes this.
  22. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2016

I think there is recent research that shows that you actually learn more with occasional movement breaks or what we might call brain breaks. Teachers or admin who are more "old-school" might not have been aware of this research.

linswin23 and Backroads like this.
  23. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Oct 13, 2016

Interesting TEDTalk about adding movement into the day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1aNERoMndU
    I work in block periods, so I absolutely think that short brain breaks are essential to maintain productivity. I think research indicates that 2 minutes of movement improves the following 20 minutes of focus, or something to that effect.

As for the mindfulness, my school has adopted a program that is geared at improving student behavior, but I think it is a great element that can easily be added to the beginning of any class period. I'm experimenting with different apps that do guided meditation for the classroom, and I really like the gonoodle.com FLOW channel. So at the beginning of the period, after taking attendance and listening to any school announcements, we just put pencils down, close our eyes (well, some kids don't, but most do) and take a few minutes to breathe deeply together, or follow along to one of the FLOW gonoodle videos.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    linswin23 likes this.