RIPers in Science

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sayuri, Jul 21, 2007.

1. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

Does anyone use RIP (Research Investigation Process) to facilitate critical thinking in science? I took one workshop from Dr. Landsman and dabbled in it last year. I would love to hear about your classrooms and how it has supported student learning.

:thanks:

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2007

Could you please explain what it is? I may have SEEN it before. Did it work well for you? :)

4. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

RIP is a scientific inquiry process created by Dr. Landsman from New Jersey. it's a different approach to the "scientific process". although students still set up their own inquiry, it is approached from a scientist's point-of-view.

here's the website for more info: http://www.anovascience.com/

my students really enjoyed the process. of course one inquiry led to another and another. the units weren't short and sweet like they usually are with textbooks. due to lack of time and materials, i wasn't able to continue the RIP process with all of our science units and still be able to cover all of the standards by the end of the year.

this year i received a mini-grant so i hope to be able to implement the RIP in all of my science units.