Right to Bear Arms?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 29, 2014.

1. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Feb 14, 2014

For me, I guess I don't worry about it that much, if I'm honest. Right now I have a 3-year-old and a new baby on the way. I'm more concerned about a firearm accident involving them than an intruder. For that reason, anything we did own would be unloaded and locked away so far from where we could access it easily (like in a nightstand) that it might not give us much chance anyway.

I'm not opposed to owning one someday but for right now I guess I just am not fearful enough to want one, if I'm honest. :) I'm sure people think that's naive but I can get myself worked up very quickly and acknowledging that I need a firearm in my house would send my anxiety into overdrive. I'd probably be more paranoid because that's just how I am.

2. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2014

Many people feel the way you do ..... Be safe ..... :)

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

Statistically, I'm much more likely to accidentally shoot my daughter (or have her accidentally shoot me/herself) than I am to shoot an intruder, so I'll take my chances.

I absolutely despise the "gun culture" in the United States, and would prefer for any guns outside of strictly hunting guns to be banned... though I also recognize that Pandora's Box has been opened, and probably can't be closed.

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2014

Ok, you don't want guns in your home..... So what is your plan to protect yourself (and your family) against a violent attack? Do you have one? (I certainly hope you do ........ :))

Also, the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting .... It's a constitutional right to keep and bear arms..... I firmly believe as an armed citizen I am safer in my home and out on the streets.

Be safe, gr3teacher ......

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 15, 2014

Agree 100%. We have had break ins in my area. I live by myself during the week. I still don't worry about it. If it's my time to go, I will deal with it. Otherwise, I'll use the self-defense I've been taught. As a small, out of shape female, it would be easy for a man to overpower me and take my gun. That has happened in my area. It also can escalate a situation too quickly for my liking. In my area, the break ins are usually unarmed teens. Their intentions have never been to harm anyone. They want quick items to sell for cash. They also want easy entry (like a neighbor who forgot to lock a door). When they spot someone, they typically run.

I also don't believe I could ever get over killing a person. It would really hurt me.

6. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 15, 2014

Major what is your plan if an intruder breaks in and you are not near your gun? Do you have guns in every room?

I don't have a problem with people who own guns but you will never find the in my house. Not worth the risk

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2014

Hopefully they would in fact run when they saw me pull out my gun...

Unless they send me a curtesy message in advance (Ma'am, I will enter your home ininvited around two in the morning Saturday night but only intend to take your jewelry and electronics. I will have no weapons and will not use my body and power as a weapon against you.), I am going to assume that a CRIMINAL entering my home understands the risks of doing so. And they do. I don't want to kill anyone including a "harmless punk" teen, but I will not hesitate to protect my life over a criminal's who chose to put himself in such danger.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2014

Sue, I do have handguns strategically placed around the house, well hidden but I know exactly how to get to quickly get to them. (We don't have children so MY plan might not work for everyone.) Also, I make it a practice have a pistol on my person almost all the time ..... inside the home or away. (I have a concealed carry permit plus my state allows for open carry without a permit. I seldom "open carry" because it does tend to frighten some people.) I am well trained in the use of all types of firearms ... revolvers, pistols, shotguns rifles etc. I would never recommend a gun to anyone not willing to become proficient in it's use. This means LOTS of practice and self defense classes. In addition to firearms I've had extensive training in martial arts.

Sorry for rambling ........ :):)

9. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 15, 2014

Hindsight is too late for protection.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

Yes, I know it's a constitutional right. I just wish it wasn't, since you having a gun puts your own family more at risk than it does any "bad guys." You can believe it makes you safer if it helps you sleep at night, but statistically, it's more likely that one of those weapons would be responsible for killing somebody you love, rather than an intruder.

My plan in the event of a home invasion is more or less identical to what it would be if I did have a gun. Stay the hell away from the burglars, let them take what they want to take, and then call my insurance company. There's nothing in my apartment valuable enough to be worth anybody dying over, and I'd rather not assume there was an intruder or burglar in my house, shoot them, and then find out it was a family member or friend.

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2014

I KNOW I am safer with guns. I have no doubt about it. I'm very proficient with firearms. I've owned them all my life. I don't fit into any "statistics" you mention. I'm a combat veteran ...... I've taught self defense courses for years. I have a refuse to be a victim attitude.

Now in your situation how will you "stay the hell away" from the bad guy IF he decides he is going to brutally assault you?? .... Asking him to "please leave me alone" most likely wont work.

Hope you stay safe .........

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

I'd consider it (and statistics agree with me) far more likely that I'd accidentally shoot a loved one than a burglar, so I'll take my chances staying away from a burglar and hope for the best. I hope you're right about your own situation, though I'm sure every other person who ends up shooting a family member also thought they were safer with the gun.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

And to be entirely honest, if somebody breaks into my house with the intention of assaulting me, it's likely that they'd be far better with their weapon than I would, and it's a certainty that they'd have their weapon closer to hand than I would. Since I have a two year old, my hypothetical gun would be tightly locked, and kept unloaded. I live in a pretty small apartment. If somebody came in with the intention of assaulting me, I don't think I'd like my odds of unlocking the gun safe and getting the weapon loaded in the time it would take them to find me, particularly when they would have the element of surprise, among other advantages.

14. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Feb 15, 2014

This goes for me, too. We have a small house and our bedroom is the first an intruder would come across. If their intention is to rape or harm me, they're going to get to me before I can access a gun that is unloaded, locked up, and hidden away. The best I can do for now is install a security system or get a dog that might either scare off an intruder or at least give me a heads-up so I can dial 911. If they just want to take stuff, well, they're probably going to end up wishing they'd picked a different house based solely on the fact that we don't have anything that'd be worth much.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 15, 2014

Let's hope they run, but if they want to overpower me they easily could, especially if there's more than one person.

I just don't believe I could ever bring myself to shoot to kill and live with it after, especially if I knew their family.

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 15, 2014

Gr3teacher is speaking my truth, too!

17. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 16, 2014

I have always thought I would never own a gun, as I used to despise them also. However, living in an area where the response time of a deputy/sheriff is about 45 minutes, I knew that I had to develop the "I will not be a victim" attitude.
    I took the gun safety/concealed carry class, and I learned to be comfortable and proficient with my firearm. I carry when I feel the need, and I know that I can defend myself should that need ever arise. My DH and I have grandchildren who visit our home often, but only we know where our firearms are, and when they visit, we are confident that our firearms are secured.
    Criminals/enemies will always have access to firearms. We would like to think that having a law that bans any firearms would stop crime, but it won't. They will still acquire illegal guns and use them in criminal acts. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Shooting an intruder does not mean I will kill someone. But I surely will slow them down from doing me bodily harm.

18. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 16, 2014

I saw something on TV where people will soon be able to download a blueprint for a gun and print one on one of those 3D printers. That should be interesting trying to control the criminals with that one.

19. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2014

:yeahthat: Good post, knitter63

20. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 21, 2014

I wouldn't feel bad about killing someone who was trying to kill me. No way, no how. Especially when it comes to protecting my daughter.

That being said, I don't own a gun...no way would I be able to think and focus that quickly in panic mode.

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 21, 2014

I place a high value on human life. I feel those who commit murder could have been helped before they reached that point. I'd like to think I could kill someone if they were trying to kill my family, but I'm pretty sure the aftermath would be horrific for me. I was the one balling while watching Green Mile.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2014

I'm debating with myself whether I agree that those who commit murder could have been helped prior to the crime. Short of confining some people for the duration of their life, I do think some cannot be fixed. They are broken. And that's sad. I could have easily been born mentally unstable or in an environment that made the dark path very easy to take. I think of the man who brutally hacked off the disabled boy's head recently and left it in the drive for the mother to see upon returning home. I. Want. Him. Dead. I value an ant's life more than his, and that is absolutely the truth.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 21, 2014

I don't tell this story often, but yes, the aftermath is horrific.

You see, many years ago, when my children were babies, I was at my parents' home alone with my children and my youngest brother, who is the same age as my youngest. My parents had gone out of state and needed somebody at the house to take care of the animals/pool/house, so I was there with my kids. Now, you need to understand that my parents' house is in the middle of nowhere; or at least as "middle of nowhere" as that county can get. The nearest neighbors are a mile away.

So, it was about 9PM. I'd just gotten the last of the 4 kids (all under 4 years old) asleep. I was walking through the living room on the way to the kitchen. I glanced, out of habit, towards the living room window. I was stopped in my tracks by the image of a very large man staring in the window. Now, remember that this house is well away from any other house. The driveway is over 700 feet long. The property is completely surrounded by a commercial plant nursery, and at that hour, is gated and locked. There was absolutely NO reason for somebody to even be on the property, let alone close enough to be peeping through the windows. I didn't even think. My reaction was one of pure instinct. I do carry all the time (well, when I can. At the moment my situation doesn't allow that, but I'll get that taken care of shortly). At that moment, my Glock 9mm was holstered at the small of my back. In one motion, I'd unholstered the Glock, aimed and fired 3 times through the living room window. Then I called the cops.

The cops found the guy's body outside the living room window. When they investigated, they found that this man was a suspect in a series of brutal rapes in the area. They were never able to prove that it was, in fact, this man, but the rapes stopped. Was I his next intended victim? I'll never know, and I have no desire to know.

In spite of the results of the investigation, I still had a very difficult time with the aftermath of that night. I took a man's life. I
    don't regret what I did, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but the emotional fall out of a shooting, even when you know you did the right thing very difficult to deal with.

24. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 21, 2014

Mm, many hugs to you. I've heard cops struggle with the same thing even when the shooting is considered justified.

25. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 21, 2014

I really do believe some probably deserve to be locked away for life. I know a few people who grew up around Dahmer and he's a prime example to me. But from what I've heard about his home life, I'd hazard a guess that he could've led a very different life without his mom around. Obviously we have no way of knowing for sure.

I do believe we need to beef up how we deal with mental illness.

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 21, 2014

Yes, they do. Actually, after the investigation was complete and they ruled my actions justifiable, the detective in charge of the case strongly recommended I see the police psychologist they require officers who've been involved in shootings see.

27. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Feb 22, 2014

Big hugs, mm. In a situation like that, I think you were completely justified. You were quick on the draw and it worked out in your favor.

With recent news stories of people shooting others who have come to their door for help, I myself wonder if I would hesitate too much, wondering if it was someone with bad intentions or like those two other recent cases, someone who had just been in an accident and was looking for assistance. I don't think I'm the "shoot now, ask questions later" type. It's scary to think that it might cost me my life but on the other hand I'm not sure I could live with myself if I killed someone who had no ill intentions.

I just wish we lived in a world where we didn't have to worry about this stuff. ;)

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 22, 2014

Betty, that's the thing...I'm not normally quick on the draw, but if I do draw, I'm shooting. In that specific situation, there was absolutely no chance that this was innocent. That particular property is difficult to find even if you know it's there. You can't see it from the street, and you surely can't see it from the nearest "real" road. There's no chance that somebody is going to accidentally wander up to it. Given that, I followed my instinct. I've been in other situations where my instincts said "be alert", but never felt the need to draw my weapon. I listen to my gut instinct. It's never steered me wrong.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 22, 2014

mmswm, what an event! I don't blame you at all for what you did. I have no doubt that that man was up to no good based on what you said.

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get over that?

I'd like to take a shooting class someday...probably after the auto mechanics course I'd like to take. If my ankle wasn't messed up, I'd love to get a black belt in karate.

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 22, 2014

Not entirely sure you ever "get over" something like that. You just learn to live with it.

31. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 23, 2014

:hugs: mm.
    Thank you for sharing your story.