Right to Bear Arms?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 29, 2014

My SO & his brother were walking around the mall today & they saw this 6'4", burly guy walking alone who obviously had a survival knife that was about 6-7" attached from his waist down his thigh. Two police officers (not mall security guards) passed right by him, saw him, & didn't say a thing. Then, my SO & his brother saw a family man go to the cops after they passed him & asked, "Is that legal?" and the cops said they can't do anything about it.

My SO & his brother were mad that in these scary times, there's all these mall & school shootings & other violent crimes, yet, a man can walk around with a big knife?!

Scary times!

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2014

Ms. I people can walk around with a gun if they wanted to...as long as it's not concealed. Many people think that you can't. It's when your hiding it & don't have the permit is when you get in trouble! Help me if I'm wrong here...but hubby & I've talked about this before....

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 30, 2014

I was walking in the mall last year with multiple knives. Some were larger than the one you describe. :eek:

I have to giggle, Ms I. You really need to be afraid of what you don't see. If someone has bad intentions, all they have to do is go to any kitchen department in a store and there ya go. Lots of knives. Tool section in Sears...

Oh, what if someone had a garrote hidden in their pocket. You would never know. Or an expert at martial arts who could snap a neck in a second.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 30, 2014

OK, just wondering. There's probably more people than you think out there (including me, I know) who don't know all the specific laws about carrying weapons. I know I always hear about how you can't carry a concealed weapon. Let's all just carry our guns & knives around then for all to see...nice example for today's young kids. I know, apparently that's the law.

I choose to be afraid of what I CAN see as well, depending on what it is. We don't know how stable anyone is anymore who are carrying these weapons...concealed or not.

a2z, just out of curiosity, what was your reasoning for carrying around multiple knives last yr in the mall? (Other than, because you wanted to & you know you can.)

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2014

Probably bought a cutlery set..you know from like Kohls or something!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2014

I would be more afraid of the guy that is walking around the mall with a hidden knife or gun that I couldn't see. Those are the ones that are more than likely going to try to do something than the guy who is openly carrying a 'weapon'.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 30, 2014

I bought them at the store. LOL

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 30, 2014

Yeah, after I typed my question, I figured you'd say that. LOL

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 30, 2014

Either way, concealed or not concealed, it seems to be a rising problem with all the mall/movie theater shootings. I can see where Ms. I is coming from and it does make you think.

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 30, 2014

What does it make you think? The problem is never with the weapon but with the yielder of a weapon. Until we address mental health issues in this country and the degradation of our society, we will continue to see more and more violence. In addition, violence that would be local to a community and only known to the community has now become national news. So, a stabbing in the local K-mart was not known often in the neighboring county let alone 10 states away.

12. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 30, 2014

:yeahthat: I'm not a fan of weapons myself and would never consider owning a gun or anything, but I recognize that they are not the cause of the issues. We need better mental health services.

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2014

Many people have a "refuse to be a victim" attitude. I belong to that group. In my state it is legal to "open carry" a firearm. I do this on occasion. As a matter of fact I have a 9mm Glock riding on my hip as I type. We are also a shall issue state for concealed carry permits. I never leave the house unarmed and usually carrying concealed. Lots of bad guys out there ..

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 30, 2014

It makes you think about your own safety when you go out. Some people are bearing arms to protect themselves but some are out to harm others. How are you to know which is which?

15. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2014

It's good to think about your safety whenever you go out. Unfortunately many people are totally oblivious to potential dangers around them. Stay alert.... :)

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2014

I am terrified of knives. I would not remain near someone sporting a hunting knife (or something similar). I think it's bizarre to be in a mall with a knife strapped to you. I feel differently about guns, but it's still scary that anyone can have one, seen or unseen. I personally really like my own gun which is strictly for protection.

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2014

I love and understand what you said about your own gun, JustMe ...... Love mine too..... all 37 of them ........ :hugs:

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 30, 2014

I have a conceal & carry permit for my revolver. I rarely carry it, though. My neighbor is a nut job who has multiple weapons and no permits. He has questionable friends as well. I need mine more here than out in public.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 30, 2014

My dad, mom, brother, and sister-in-law all have their permits. The hubs and I are the odd folks out, but if I ever get the time, I'll get mine too. I was never a fan of guns until I had someone try to break in. Waiting with a weapon until the law got there made me feel a tiny bit better.

20. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2014

Having a weapon while waiting on the LAW is a lot better than sitting in the corner of a room crying into a box of Kleenex .. Be safe ....... :hugs:

21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 30, 2014

[​IMG]

Just had to post this. ;)

22. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 30, 2014

[​IMG]

23. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 30, 2014

[​IMG]

Last one. I promise!

Carry on!

24. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2014

Love it, SpecialPreskoo ......

25. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 30, 2014

Good point, a2z.

When I was in high school, it was very common for boys to carry pocket knives. In fact, I used to trade and sell knives at school for spending money. I usually took 3-5 knives to school with me each day to sell or trade.

It also was not unusual to see some boys wearing very large folding knives in pouches on their belts. That came to an end, though, after two seniors got in a fight in the gym and one (the current football "star") pulled his pocketknife and cut the other guy on the leg. It wasn't a serious injury, but the school said we could no longer carry any knife with a blade more than 4" long. Most of the larger folding knives exceeded that limit, so we couldn't bring those anymore, but could still carry regular pocketknives.

This was a "big event" at our school (obviously), but the kids in the other schools in the county never knew anything about it (unless they just happened to know one of the two kids in the fight). Just like we never heard about any thing that happened at the other schools, even though we were all in the same county.

Out of my 4 years in high school, the fight in the gym was the only time anyone ever actually used a knife in a fight (that was my freshman year). There were still the usual number of fights each year, but kids generally never thought about actually pulling a weapon on the other person back then.

Times have definitely changed.

26. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2014

"Can't" do anything may have been a slight overstatement on the officers' part, but "It would be unreasonable to do anything" probably would not.

There are plenty of laws regulating knives. The ones that actually limit what you can possess and carry around would be state laws. http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

Most focus on possession with unlawful intent, but NY at least does not make this limitation.

As far as the implied relation to the Constitution, I don't know whether these knife possession laws have been challenged legally with any success. If I were arrested while possessing a knife I would make the argument, but I'm not confident it would work.

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2014

I just got a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk revolver. for sport and protection

In Arizona you can open carry and conceal carry (Arizona stopped requiring the conceal carry permit).

We recently had a situation like this the other day where a man shot at an Armed, with a "gun", shoplifter who was endangering his wife and another person BUT some want to charge him, there isn't jury in Arizona who will convict him.
    We have some good gun training programs in Arizona I wish it was a requirement.

It is a BIG problem with mental health and any weapon.
    Man who shot at shoplifting suspects may face charges

28. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2014

New Model Blackhawk, Dave ..... awesome handgun. Looks like something right out of the old West, single action and all. What caliber did you choose?

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2014

My hoosband always carries a folding pocket knife (three-inch blade or so). He uses that knife for everything. We have found ourselves in many situations where that knife has come in handy, and not really for personal defense or anything like that. I would hate for anyone to feel scared or intimidated by my hoosband when he's got his knife on him, because he's about as teddybearish as you can get. The knife isn't there to hurt others but to be a convenience for himself.

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2014

.357 Mag/38 special
    I am using Remington 38 Special, 148 Grain, Target Master WadCutter ammunition good for target and less lethal than normal ammunition for home protection
    This is my knife

[​IMG]

31. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 5, 2014

I love having my CCW permit. I like knowing that I can carry when I want to, or I can leave it at home when I don't.
    My DH and I spend a lot of time target shooting. It is a wonderful stress release for me. I own two handguns of my own, and my DH has three. I am thinking of purchasing a .380 handgun next.

32. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2014

Good for you, knitter ......... for having a concealed carry permit AND for having a "Refuse to be a victim" attitude. Stay safe ....... :hugs:

33. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 7, 2014

Thanks, Major.:hugs: I won't be the victim...The concealed carry permit classes were wonderful. The instructor I had was so thorough-I learned so much. I recommend it to anyone. :)
    Ladies, there are beautiful conceal carry purses out there too...;)

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2014

Knitter... I need to take mine..hubby said he'd take it again with me. I worry about the tests...I HATE tests!!!

35. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 8, 2014

Our test was not difficult at all! I only missed one on the written test, and on the shooting test, I got all of my 20 rounds in the target area. I shot a .22 from 7 yards (21 feet). Again, I had a wonderful instructor.
    I now shoot a 9mm and a .38. I am comfortable with both.
    You need to take the class, Diz. You will NOT regret the it! Mine was all day on Saturday, and half day on Sunday. Well worth my weekend!

36. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2014

Oh they have them about 5 miles away... it's an 8 hour class!! I know I would like to/plan to.

37. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2014

Diznee, as Nike ads would say .......... Just Do It........ You wont regret it. The written tests (and shooting tests) are really quite easy .........:):)

38. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 9, 2014

This!

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2014

Yup plan to...not right now I may freeze!!! Snowing again here!!!

40. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 13, 2014

I thought it was the right to 'bear arms'.

[​IMG]

Oh darn. Someone already got it.

41. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2014

A very serious question ........ If an intruder breaks into your house late at night ...... What are you plans to defend your home and loved ones .... and possibly avoid rape and/or murder? .. :eek:hmy:

Do you have one? (If not .......:dizzy:)