Rigby???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissBanger, Jun 28, 2006.

1. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Has anyone ever used the Rigby curriculum for reading? It is what my district uses and I have never heard if it before. Will someone tell me what it is all about? Your feelings about it? I haven't heard a lot of good stuff about it and so I am feeling discouraged.

3. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

don't get too discouraged!!! just look back and smile...cause you have a JOB!!! You made it passed the hard part! Girl, we made it through some rough things at NGU, I know you can do this!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2006

We just use the Rigby for reading levels. I did not realize that they had a whole reading curriculum.

5. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Jun 28, 2006

We also use Rigby for reading levels.

6. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Ok so maybe its not a whole curriculum I just don't know. I don't know anything about it. HELP!

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2006

Rigby is not hard, it is just time consuming. Have you done running records? If not your school will train you as it is part of the guided reading program. The Rigby kit is made up of a book for each reading level. You will pick a book that you feel may be at the child's reading level based on classroom observations/observations during guided reading/running records given during guided reading... It will give you a script to introduce the book to the student. The student will then read as you complete a running record. It then tells you to ask the student to tell you about the story and provides you with questions to ask the student. You will then calculate the errors the student makes and look at the comprehension questions to determine if the reading level is too hard/too easy or just right. You may have to go through a few books with the student in order to find his reading level.

8. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Rigby is definitely a good way to find a student's level of reading. We rigby at the beginning of school and use this to make guided reading groups. We then use these levels throughout the year (our lit. library is based upon it) and then test again at the end of the year. While time consuming, Rigby/running records are very helpful and always good to show growth. I find it very useful in the classroom and when explaining things to parents. I hope Rigby helps you just as much!

9. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jun 28, 2006

My school just adopted Rigby as the reading program in place of the basal textbook series. There are book sets to use during guided reading groups. There are also big books with a teacher manual that has lesson plans for approximately 10-14 days using that one big book. There are writing lessons and phonics lessons. It is research based. I have not used the program because we just got it for the new school year but I practiced with the big book and teacher lesson plans for one week to see how I would like it. I am pleased that I will have multiple book sets to teach with for my guided reading groups. It will also be convenient to have the lesson plans available in one place. Of course, I will have supplement lessons in reading workshop time. I am excited about using the program.

10. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

I have heard that with Rigby there are no activities that comes with the books. You have to think of/find your own activities and sheets for each book. Is this true? Or do they provide those for you along with lesson plans?

11. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jun 28, 2006

What type of activities are you talking about? For the big book lesson there are activities for each day you use the book. I don't think (but not for sure) it comes with the usual blackline masters that other textbook series has but now that type of instruction (drill and practice with worksheets) is not encouraged.

12. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Yeah I am not a fan of drill and practice worksheets.. i don't even like worksheets at all! But I've just heard using Rigby is VERY time consuming thinking of the activities you will do with the leveled readers.

13. abfoland

abfoland Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Hello dear! :) You are going to do SO GREAT and the kids will LOVE you! I can't wait to hear how you are doing and all! It's going to be GREAT!

14. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Hey girl! I'm glad you are on too!!! Isn't this site incredibly helpful!! How's in the ATL? SC misses you already!

15. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

DUDE!!! I'm addicted to this site!!! I can't get away from it!!! Everyone is so helpful!

16. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 28, 2006

Rigby sounds similar to Read Well which we use in our county. Anybody else use that?

17. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Jun 28, 2006

I just had a windfall of Rigby books through a sales rep I met at the CATESOL conference. There are activities for each story that are reproducible.

18. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 29, 2006

Hi!

I have been using the "Literacy Tree Book Package" by Rigby in Kindergarten for about two years. I love it for guided reading. I do not have any "worksheets" just the books, but my kids were reading just the same.

I have some prompts to facilitate guided reading questions at http://www.mrsmikesell.com/LiteracyTreePrompts.xls

I didn't know they had a "program". Does it include read alouds and shared reading books?

Kelly :)

19. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 29, 2006

Our district has adopted Rigby and uses it K-5 right now. IMO, it really depends on the grade level as to the strengths and weaknesses of the program. There are aspects of it that I like and things that I don't like. It can be very time-consuming but no more than a different program that is providing students with learning at their unique instructional level. I don't feel that it pushes my GT kids at all so I am working on finding reading materials over the summer to supplement those kiddos this upcoming fall.