RIFFed list getting shorter?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ahodge79, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Dec 27, 2013

Moved to SoCal five years ago and there still doesn't seem to be anything to even apply for (multiple subject elementary). I have a couple of teacher friends and one says that the list of teachers that need to be rehired is now gone- another says in her district their list is still long. What is going on in districts that you know of? Any chance of lower class sizes coming back? How about prop 30 money?

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 27, 2013

I got a job in a charter, and I moved to work at the charter. Someone from my credential cohort did get a job in a public district in Orange County. I think OC might be THE hardest SoCal market. She had done a couple LTS jobs in that district and because of that was able to apply as an in district employee for a full time teaching position. So it does happen...sometimes.

Other than that person, the people in my cohort who got jobs moved (Bay Area, Bishop, Nevada, LA), are commuting ridiculous distances, work in charters, and/or got jobs teaching core classes in middle school. Only 2 out of 26 have gotten elementary jobs in traditional public school districts, and we graduated in December 2011.

I doubt lower class sizes will come back in SoCal unless something changes drastically. Huge districts down here follow the money, and there is no money in small class sizes.

I'm sorry to sound so negative. Things really can only get better now that it seems the layoffs have mostly stopped. In the meantime, working at a charter to gain experience is a viable option.

4. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jan 3, 2014

If you live in Kern County and you have some experience along with an awesome resume- you will get hired. The biggest elementary district in the state (by schools) is now hiring for 2 new schools that were just built. They open in August 2014. PM me if you want specific details.

5. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jan 3, 2014

Hi teacherwithlove, I would love some information on those new schools. I'm not sure how to PM...Please advise on how I would PM... Thank you!

6. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jan 9, 2014

thanks for the replies... I live in the "dreaded OC" (as far as the job market). Things are seeming to look up though; that LAUSD is going to be hiring over a 1,000! wow and districts are balancing their budgets, and there is a provision somewhere to start lowering class size to 24 (seems to be ways around that though). There aren't many charter schools (especially about where I live specifically). I have a job in a private school right now but I'd make so much more in public (plus a few more benefits)...

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 9, 2014

Oh, OC. That's where I was, too. I moved. :lol: So there's that option. :rolleyes:

But if OC reduces class sizes I think I will faint from shock. From what I have seen and heard, OC basically has the largest class sizes in the state, on average.

There aren't charters *in* OC, but there are charters that are sort of commutable (meaning pretty brutal commutes) to OC. I know a couple of people who are doing that.

But in all seriousness, the LAUSD thing is nothing short of a miracle, so yes, maybe OC will *finally* start to open up too. It really does seem that things are getting better statewide. This is the first year in recent history that the Education sections in CA newspapers haven't been all doom, gloom, and layoffs. Things are looking up, FINALLY.

8. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jan 9, 2014

unlikely yellowdaisies, I'm married, we have two kids, and the family all lives here (left my nice teaching job in NM to be near family).... There is a statue about to get more funding they have to reduce class sizes, but I'm not holding my breath!

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 9, 2014

I think I edited my post after you replied, so I hope you read it. I was more positive. ;)

I actually was only suggesting moving with tongue in cheek - I think the whole situation in SoCal is ridiculous, and it drives me nuts. In my case, it wasn't a huge deal - my heart is not here (my family is not here, either), so I'm leaving and I'll be happy to do so. But I can definitely understand your situation!!

I sincerely hope they reduce class sizes.

I don't know if you want to leave your private school job, but like I said, I do know someone who got hired in a public district (PM me if you want the name of it) because of the connections she made as a long term sub. It only took her a year of subbing to land a permanent position. Of course that is not a magic formula, but it was successful for her.

I wish you the best of luck. I have seen too many people struggle trying to get jobs in OC, and I'm tired of it. Oh, and I was one of them! I *really* hope things turn around soon.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 9, 2014

:thumb: I like mine too, but family is in northern CA and I can't take the cost anymore so we're out of here (I hope this year)!

Sorry to hijack! :sorry: