ridiculous schedule?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by silverspoon65, Aug 19, 2009.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2009

Ok, so I KNOW I was super spoiled at my last job. This was my schedule last year:

1st semester
    1/2 block - 11th grade (also homeroom)
    3/4 block - 11th grade
    5/6 block - 10th grade
    7/8 block - plan (90 min)

1/2 block - 10th grade (also homeroom)
    3/4 block - 11th honors
    5/6 block - department chair duties
    7/8 block - plan

So I didn't expect anything that good at my new job, esp since I am not dept chair anymore, and one school is on block and the other is traditional. But I just find this to be a little overwhelming.

Homeroom
    Pd. 1 - plan (45 min)
    Pd. 2 - 9th
    Pd. 3 - 12th honors
    Pd. 4 - 12th
    Pd. 5 - 9th
    Pd. 6 - 12th
    Pd. 7 - Study Hall duty
    Pd. 8 - 9th

I mean, I knew I would have more preps and classes because it's not a block schedule. And I knew I would have less planning time. BUT I think the final straw was that they couldn't even give me a subject back to back. I am ALL OVER THE PLACE all day. Does anyone else find this ridiculous, or am I over-reacting? I just don't know how you expect anyone to be efficient that way...

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 19, 2009

When I was teaching middle school and high school that's how all of our schedules looked. Most people only have 5 classes per day though.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2009

I am hoping the saving grace will be that after teaching 90 min classes (and usually overplanning them) for 7 years, plus student teaching, I should be able to plan a 45 min class pretty quickly.

5. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Aug 19, 2009

my schedule this year is something like this (the order changes every day) and I'm at the high school. I teach deaf kids so I really don't have one subject I teach all the time but this year is pretty bad.

biology
    resource room
    math
    free
    english
    history

6. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 19, 2009

I don't understand..how do they not give you a lunch period? I know our contract says we can't teach more than three periods in a row (though we can have a duty), but I think we're guaranteed a lunch and a prep. Is this a public school? How do they think you can go without a break from second period on? Is this common?

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2009

Oh, i have a lunch period, they just didn't tell me when it is yet. it's before, after, or (shootme) in the middle of 5th period.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 19, 2009

Okay, first off I'm glad you do have a lunch in there, that had me rather worried! I think your biggest challenge will be going from the 90 minute prep to the 45 minute prep. I teach on a block schedule and I know I cherish my 80 minute block of prep. Even that length can seem to fly if I need to go over to the copy room to do stuff there.

So, do you have 3 different preps? I'm assuming all the 9th and 12th are the same and then 12th honors. If so, I think you'll get in the swing of things pretty quickly even though you have to change from one to the other frequently. If there's more than 3 preps in there I'm guessing it'll take a bit longer to get used to it. But yeah, I think as you pointed out you were pretty spoiled with your schedule last year so anything is going to seem tough. Doesn't mean you won't get used to it though given some time.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2009

To be honest, lunch aside, I think your schedule is fairly reasonable. I've had similar schedules over the years.

10. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 19, 2009

Good to hear about the lunch! You had me worried. As for the rest of the courses, is 12th honors a completely different curriculum, or simply more advanced? That will certainly make a difference. I have a 40 minute prep, so I can warn you: don't plan on needing to get much done then. Use it to review your notes for the day, make sure you have all the handouts you need, grab a quick bite, etc. If you can use it for grading, great, but don't count on grading things you want to give back that day during the period, unless it's a small quiz or something. It's too short to really get a huge test or essays graded.
    As far as the schedule being all over the place...plan good do nows/bell work. I teach 4 different preps, so I really switch gears all day long. Having a good "do now" ready for the next class really helped me out. I needed that minute or two to mentally switch gears, look over my lesson plan for the next class, and put handouts/notes for them on top.

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 19, 2009

I went from block to 41 minute classes. I was actually able to plan quite quickly after preparing for 90 minute classes. I suggest you figure out a structure for your class, and try your darnedest to stick to it. For me, it is important to have the kids working independently for around 20 minutes per class (reading and writing). That means I need to keep my mini-lesson and guided practice to about 15 minutes. Then there is 5 minutes for a warm-up/do now. Essentially, I have to plan for 15 minutes for each prep! It's great. My time is used effectively and I have very limited amounts of time to prep.