Rich as a teacher

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by franc, Aug 11, 2007.

1. franc

franc New Member

Aug 11, 2007

Need advice: How to be rich as a teacher??

I want to rebuff the myth or stereotype that teachers are poor.

cheers

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2007

There is a teacher in my home area of Michigan that makes over 100k. It was in the paper. She has been there a LONG time and does a LOT of extras (mentoring, tutoring, etc...)

4. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

Teachers that are National Board Certified make more money (in CA they get 15% salary increase).

5. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Aug 11, 2007

Teach in a high need subject in a high need area. Take on additional responsibilities. Be good at what you do.

However, please don't "rebuff the myth or stereotype that teachers are poor."

db

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2007

I know this isn't what you are looking for, but...

I went to the grade 8 graduation of a very special group of students I had taught in grades 4 and 5 and hadn't seen since early grade 6. They had no idea I was coming, and the looks on their faces when they saw me there to share their special night made me realize that I am very rich indeed.

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2007

For me it's not as much about salary as it is about money management. Learn to invest and not live beyond your means.

We are in a fine financial situation and for the first 10 years of our marriage one of us was always in school (both got Master's and he worked on PhD) while the other taught in the public schools.

Now, I don't know about rebuffing myths and all that or where you are headed with this, but, as an individual you CAN make it work.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2007

I work with several teachers who are the sole breadwinner in the family (some single parents others with 2 parents in the home). All are able to live quite comfortably on their salary and most own their own homes. We have excellent benefits and an exceptional retirement plan which definitely help. While none of us are independently wealthy, we certainly don't have to make many sacrifices.

9. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I'm going to make millions writing a book on how to make millions. That's what everyone else does =o)