RICA

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by msmarcie, Sep 4, 2007.

1. msmarcie

msmarcie New Member

Sep 4, 2007

I have taken the RICA three times and failed all of them. The first time I missed by 10. The second time I missed by 2. The last time I missed by 9 points. I am frustrated taking this test! I have tried the Zarrillo’s book and Dr. Schipper’s Case studies book. I do okay on the case study. I do not know where I am going wrong? Can someone please help?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 4, 2007

What are you seeing on your official score report? The feedback on RICA could be better, but there is some information there that can help.

4. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Sep 4, 2007

I'm in the same boat...I missed passing this time by 5 points. I scored a 76 this time and a 75 last time around. Last time the score report said that I didn't elaborate enough on the strengths/weakness on the case study. Not sure what happened this time around. I need assistance in passing the test too

kelster

5. juiceitup

juiceitup Rookie

Sep 5, 2007

I need help too, I need 4 more points. I didn't receive the official score sheet now, and the unofficial score showed only ++/+++ in four domains, my case study was ++, is that a score 2? and it showed that I need improvement on instructional strategy/activitiy (in case study). Does that mean I need to write strategy more specifically? I think I wrote very similar with the writing sample in "Ready for RICA". I don't know how to improve it, and am afraid of a similar result next time.

6. msmarcie

msmarcie New Member

Sep 5, 2007

I cannot believe how difficult they score these exams. Do the people who score these exam know exactly what we are writing about or do they have some experience in teaching reading? I am very disappointed with myself. I studied so hard and it seems like I did not even put any effort in trying to pass. When I saw my the unofficial score yesterday, I was devastated and I thought to myself maybe this career is not for me. I always seems to struggle taking these type of tests. And why should I continue to give the NES my hard earned money. I would like to take look at my test to see where I am having trouble because it could be either on the multiple choice or on the writing.
    I received my official score sheet. I was nine points away, this the official score: NOT PASS

Domain 1: +++
    Domain 2: +
    Domain 3: ++
    Domain 4: ++
    Case Study: +++

I cannot believe I did worse this time after being two points away from passing.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 5, 2007

Those scores on Domain 1 and the Case Study look to be good solid scores - it wouldn't surprise me to find that bringing your Domain 2 score up to +++ would put you over the top.

So let's start by refreshing our memories as to what's in each domain, please. Please post a one- to two-sentence description of the domain and list ten Very Important Terms that go with it.

8. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Sep 5, 2007

This is what my score report says:
    I: Planning and Organizing Reading Instruction Based on Ongoing Assessment +++
    II: Developing Phonological and Other Linguistic Processes Related to Reading ++
    III: Developing Reading Comprehension and Promoting Independent Reading +++
    IV: Supporting Reading Through Oral and Written Language Development +

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Case Study
    Performance
    Index
    Case Study (Domains I, II, III, IV) +++

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 5, 2007

Okay, so let's do some thinking here: what do we think domain 1 is really about? And what are some key buzzwords that go with it?

10. juiceitup

juiceitup Rookie

Sep 5, 2007

Domain 1: ++
    Domain 2: ++
    Domain 3: +++
    Domain 4: ++

Case Study: ++ Need improvement on instructional strategies/activities

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 5, 2007

So (let me go into teacher mode here) what do we think Domain I is really all about?

12. juiceitup

juiceitup Rookie

Sep 5, 2007

about assessments (IRIs)

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 5, 2007

Is that all there is to it, juiceitup? Just IRI? Or can you say more?

14. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Sep 5, 2007

assessing the student level in reading

15. juiceitup

juiceitup Rookie

Sep 5, 2007

S-ABCD. Assessments direct instruction

Also, teachergroupie, do you know the difference of explicit teaching and implicit teaching. Especially in Domain II, most chapters have both explicit and implicit teaching strategies, which one we should prefer to write? E.g. If a student has a problem in phonemic awareness, we, as teachers, need to use direct teaching of phonemic awareness, such as sound isolation/blending, etc. or just say using rhyming games?

16. msmarcie

msmarcie New Member

Sep 5, 2007

Domain 2 is about the importance of phonemic awareness that each letter has a sound and it is the process of beginning to read. In this domain, how to teach phonics and how to implement the appropriate instruction to become fluent readers.

Important things:
    Assess phonemic awareness
    Phonics
    Concepts of Print
    Letter Recognition
    sight words
    developing Fluency
    word identification strategies
    Explicit phonics instruction
    Spelling Instruction
    Make sure assess for understanding

17. Teach 4 U

Teach 4 U Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

I am just as frustrated as everyone else! I took the RICA 3x and the first time I got (78, ++,+++, ++, ++,+++), the 2nd time (79 +++, ++,+,++++,+++) the 3rd time (80 +++, ++, +++, +,+++). The worst part is that each time I call to get specific answers to specific questions and they snowball me. I just want to know how many points exactly did I get on the M/C sec. and how many did I get on the Writing sec.? How much is each + worth and what is the equivalency of one point? They avoid all of the following! WHY? Please give me some answers!:help::(:eek::thanks:

18. Teach 4 U

Teach 4 U Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

I am still looking for a study group or a study buddy near Rancho Cucamonga for the RICA! Is anyone interested? Please let me know ASAP!

19. Teach 4 U

Teach 4 U Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

This is exactly what I got, but how many points did you get?