RICA

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by yellowdaisies, Apr 19, 2011.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 19, 2011

There doesn't seem to be much discussion about the RICA on here, but I'm taking it this summer, so...

Does anyone out there have any tips or resources (books, websites, etc)? I already have the book Ready for Revised RICA by Zarrillo.

3. KateL

KateL Habitué

Apr 20, 2011

The Zarrillo book was the only resource I used. If you know all of his information and you practice writing the constructed responses, you'll be fine. It's a long test, though! I was exhausted when I was finished.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2011

Know the terminology and practice using it.

Have you already taken your reading instruction methodology coursework?

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 22, 2011

Thanks!
    Kate - That is encouraging to hear! Some of the people in my program cohort have created a study group for the RICA and we're using that book. :)
    TeacherGroupie - Yes, I have. :) And I wasn't so worried (obviously I was going to study;)) until I met two girls at a sub orientation who both had failed the test twice - one girl passed on the third try, the other finished the credential program but can't get her credential because she hasn't passed yet.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2011

Do bear in mind, yellowdaisies, that one doesn't tend to hear about tests from the people who did fine: one tends to hear from the people who didn't.

Have you done your student teaching yet? (You should be able to student teach without having passed RICA.)

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 23, 2011

Haha, very true!

I've done one of my placements (upper grade - 6th). My next placement (primary) is in the fall.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 24, 2011

As you study, think back over what you saw in student teaching and correlate the terms and techniques with what you're studying.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 2, 2011

Just found out today that I passed the RICA!! :))
    It was my first try. I was worried because I heard from so many people who didn't pass, and it was just a matter of 2-4 points.

I already have my sing. sub. credential, so I didn't really feel the pressure, I'm doing this for my multiple cred. My major was Linguistics in college, and I did all my coursework for credential, so that helped, but other than that I wasn't sure what to study for.
    My main weakness was knowing terms, such SQ3r (or something like that), exactly what fluency entails, etc. I Googled those, but I didn't really study much.

During the test I felt fairly confident with the MC questions, and even the constructed responses. On one, though, I didn't know one of the key terms, I actually chose that as the response and elaborated (I guessed) only to find out later that I was wrong. And I underestimated my time, so for the last constructed response I didn't have as much times as I needed, so I thought I might not have passed. But I did :) so happy.

What worked for me was to get the MC questions out of the way, when I got kind of tired of them, I glanced over the constructed responses, wrote down my initial ideas, notes, outline,etc, but did not really get into it in details. I did that with each response. Then i went back to the MC, finished it and then went on to the responses. By this time i felt mentally tired a little, and it really helped that I already got started on each one. It was easier to continue, and it was less overwhelming, because technically I was done almost halfway with each response.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 2, 2011

Congratulations, Linguist92021!

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 2, 2011

I took the literacy class instead of taking the Rica... So, sorry I am not much help.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 3, 2011

Did that used to be an option? I don't think it is anymore...

Linguist, congratulations!! :) That is very encouraging to hear! I like your test taking strategy, also.

I'll be sure to study up on the terms, but I'm sure the study book I got mentions them! I actually learned about SQ3R this semester...too bad I can't remember right now what it is...:D Well, that's what studying is for!

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 4, 2011

The Zarillo book covered it all, and my university showed us a prep video that basically told us exactly what to do to pass the test. I memorized all the areas using a song (just picked a Beethoven song and put the words to it).

Then I memorized one way to teach it and one way to test it. That's really all the necessary information to answer all the questions and write the essays.

- Phonemic Awareness
    - Concepts About Print
    - Phonics and Sight Words
    - Spelling
    - Comprehension
    - Literary Response and Analysis
    - Content Area Literacy
    - Independent Reading
    - Writing
    - Vocabulary
    - English Language Learners

14. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

May 10, 2011

Zarrillo's book is excellent. I was fortunate in taking a class on the RICA that he was teaching. I fail the test the first time I try it, then I got his book and took an all day class. It really helped me big time.