RICA

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by AnonAnon, Jan 31, 2010.

1. AnonAnon

AnonAnon New Member

Jan 31, 2010

Hi,
    Does anyone have any online study materials for the RICA besides the one on the official website? I have some test books, but I'm looking for online materials now.

Also, do you think the RICA is easier or harder than the CSET multiple subjects? What did everyone think of the RICA? Was it hard to finish the test on time?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 31, 2010

It isn't so much harder or easier as different: RICA focuses in on reading instruction. I trust you've had a reading instruction methodology class - if it was fairly recent and in California, it should have been designed to help prep you for the test as well as for teaching reading.

4. beavis

beavis Rookie

Jan 31, 2010

But, beyond a class, plus Zarillo, any other materials to aid in studying?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 31, 2010

beavis, what I mean is that no one who's in or intending to be in a credential program in California should be taking RICA before completing the credential program's reading instruction methodology coursework. The coursework at Cal State San Marcos, for example, is explicitly designed to help prepare the student for both RICA and student teaching.

6. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Feb 1, 2010

You can find study books in a bookstore, in addition. However, TG is right in that a class will prepare you for the exam. I thought the CSET was more difficult...but the RICA is time demanding. I needed the full time allotment to finish it!

7. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Feb 1, 2010

Make sure you bring a dozen sharpened pencils and a small handheld sharpener. Four hours of writing uses a lot of lead.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2010

Me, I vote for mechanical pencils... though, of course, not for the multiple choice questions.

9. beavis

beavis Rookie

Feb 3, 2010

Funny you should mention that, that is where I have completed my coursework, and am currently student teaching.

I have done my case study, and am student teaching in a class that is ELA, social studies only, so I hope that also gives me an advantage.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2010

It certainly will, if you make a point of connecting the vocabulary you need to know with the things you're seeing and doing in the classroom.