RICA Tutoring

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by RSMY, Nov 11, 2006.

1. RSMY

RSMY Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

Does anyone know of any workshops or tutors in San Bernardino County?

3. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Nov 26, 2006

Tutoring

Just curious when you are taking the test? If you cannot find anyone we could start a study group here. I am sure we would get others to join as well as TeacherGroupie. I am getting ready to take it next year so any studying now would be great. I actually cracked my book on Tuesday. Let me know.

4. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Nov 26, 2006

There might be some offered through UC Riverside; I don't know how you find out though.

5. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Nov 26, 2006

Just curious Eddie, what types of resources did you use? I have already completed my two reading methods courses and I will be using the Zarillo book along with one other book that I received from my class. Thanks and Congratulations again. What a HUGE accomplishment, to be finished with that test.

6. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Nov 26, 2006

Besides Zarillo I used the book Case Studies in Preparation for the California Reading Competency Test (3rd Edition) by Rossi & Schipper. The format did not mirror the test format, but it really got me thinking and reflecting on ways I would approach certain situations/cases in my own classroom. I feel this helped me on the ugly case study section of the test.

I also reviewed and made index card notes from a website
    http://www.csub.edu/~klague/ that was mentioned on this board from member named Terrance.

Wishing you luck. Keep reviewing so the info stays fresh and you will do great!

7. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Nov 26, 2006

thanks...oh yeah i forgot that I had that book also. It is sitting next to my folder. thanks again.

8. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jan 16, 2007

thanks again for the information. I have one more question though..while looking at the required words needed for the case studies it says: 4 essays total 2 will be short answer essays 50 words for the two, and 2 two will be longer 150 words. So does this mean that for the short answer essays they should be answered with 50 words EACH? and for the longer essays 150 words EACH? In the book it states,"50 words for the two" and " 150 words for the two" that is confusing me. I am guessing the are meaning EACH essay that you write out should be either 50 or 150 depending on the specific essay that you are answering. Thanks

9. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Jan 17, 2007

You are correct. It is EACH
    Short essay - about 50 words EACH (there are two shorts)
    Long essay - about 150 words EACH (there are two long)

Are you taking it this coming Saturday?

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 17, 2007

Rossi & Schipper's second edition raised some issues that Zarrillo 2 doesn't; sounds like Rosse & Schipper 3 is good, too. I haven't managed to get my hands on it yet, though.

11. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jan 17, 2007

thanks for the clarification. I will be taking the test in February. I am quite anxious about the whole essay word count thing. I mean I could just see myself just sitting there counting the words. Is ther an easier way? A much quicker way to know that you have the right amount of words for each essay?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 17, 2007

Try it this way:

Find a sample middle-sized answer that scored high (there should be one somewhere on the RICA Web site). On a piece of notebook paper, draw a right-hand margin where you can see the left margin from the other side showing through the paper. Copy the sample answer out on the piece of notebook paper. Count the words in it. When you get to 50, make a mark: that's as many lines as your short answer should be. The whole thing is the long answer; and I don't now recall the rough word count for the case study, but I'm guessing it's going to be about three long answers - bear in mind, by the way, that the word counts are approximate.

13. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Feb 3, 2007

RICA TEST FEB 10th

Hello All
    Just wondering if anyone else is taking the test next Saturday? I am way stressing out trying to remember strategies and how I will answer the short and long essays.
    I am also kind of concerned that they haven't sent me anything in the mail confirming that I will be taking the test. I did register and have the confirmation number handy just incase they don't send me anything by next week.
    Some questions I have:
    Are the case studies like the ones in the rossi case study booklet?

Anything else I should study for besides the practice test on Rica's web site, Case Studies booklet, and the rainbow Rica booklet?

Any suggestions would be great such as what to expect when I arrive at the university?

Will it be like how we all took the CSET? allowed to go out and take breaks in between??

How long does it take to get your score back?

Thanks and Good luck to everyone!:D

14. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Feb 3, 2007

If you registered for the RICA via the Internet, you should have received an email 'ticket' for entry into the test. Print this out and bring it with you to the test. They don't send snail-mail confirmation.

I took (and passed) the RICA in October 06. The testing room, test proctors, rules and paperwork are very similar to the CSET format.

If you've taken your reading instruction coursework, studied the Rossi book, and NES sample questions you should be prepared.

For the short answer and case study parts, think of yourself as a Reading Doctor. You are presented with scenarios of different students with different reading/literacy ailments. It is your job to give the most detailed and fitting prescription for a 'cure' you can.

As far as getting the results back - it felt like FOREVER. But it's about 6 weeks. Check the NES RICA website. The chart with the test dates also has the date you can expect scores to be reported.

Try to relax and let your knowledge flow. You'll do fine.