RICA Question

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by superkev31, May 27, 2006.

1. superkev31

superkev31 Rookie

May 27, 2006

Hello, I'm just wondering for the RICA's essay portion, will the grading be based on content AND GRAMMAR (like the cbest's writing)... or will it be based mostly on the content itself (like the cset's essay) ??? does anyone know?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2006

Let me put it this way: I wouldn't recommend being totally slangy and I would recommend being organized... but RICA is not primarily 'about' whether you can write formal prose, so I wouldn't expect that you'd have to main CBEST-like standards of adherence to formal conventions etc., and I would expect that bulleted lists are fine where they get the point across adequately.

4. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

May 28, 2006

No, spelling/grammar doesn't count in the constructed responses. You don't have to write a formal essay if it's not necessary. Use bullets if you can. Just make sure you answer EVERY part of the question. You will probably have to write a lesson plan for at least one of your essays. Plan on writing the lesson, and your rationale for giving a student that lesson. I don't know if it's legal to do this, so the moderator can delet it if necessary, but my university has a great RICA prep program. The teacher has put a really great powerpoint RICA prep guid on her web site. She goes over it in her Prep seminars, but the info on it is still useful. She has worked as a scorer for the RICA, so she knows what she's talking about. Good luck!

http://www.csub.edu/~klague/

5. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

May 29, 2006

The best advice I got was to answer the question directly, if it ask for three reasons and examples, give three reasons and examples. Be specific and bullets or numbering are probably your best bet. I did this and passed it on my first try.:)

6. superkev31

superkev31 Rookie

Jun 1, 2006

Thank you Terrence, Teachergroupie and sofiluv for your useful information. Much love!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2006

Have you taken any reading methodology coursework yet? If not, wait to take RICA till you do.

8. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 2, 2006

Also think of mini lessons you could teach to address different issues that students can have. And remember that if there are no obvious areas of need with the student, focus on enhancing a skill they already have.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2006

Great advice, sofiluv.

10. superkev31

superkev31 Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

Ya, I did. :)

11. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Jul 28, 2006

I completed the first half of my lang/lingustic course and I will be taking the second half in the Fall. Would it be wise to wait and take the CSET upon finishing the second semester of the lang/lingustics course. What would be the best way to approach studying for this test?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2006

Did you mean CSET, or did you mean RICA?

If CSET, use the Subject Matter Requirements document as a checklist, and if you "get" most of the language/linguistics related points in Subtest I, you're probably good to go without waiting for part two of your coursework.

If RICA, I repeat: hold off AT LEAST until you've taken your credential program's reading methodology coursework, and if you can get away with it, wait till you've done some student teaching and have seen how this stuff actually applies in the heat of battle.

(And, strictly speaking, if you meant CSET, your question might have been better phrased in a CSET thread. There are people who get tetchy about threads being hijacked...)

13. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Jul 29, 2006

I was tired when I posted this last night :tired: . I definitely meant the RICA. I'm done with the CSET, now I'm switching my focus to the RICA. I do have both the beginning and intermediate books for my lang/linguistics class. Like I mentioned in my post I will be beginning the intermediate class this semester. The teacher is already advising us not to take the test until the end of semester in December, because he will not have been able to give us enough information in time for the October test date.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2006

No worries, kiddo.

Well, unless there's a compelling reason to try sooner, I think I'd follow his advice - though my recollection is that there isn't much linguistics per se on RICA. (Okay, that's linguistics as in grad school linguistics, which is a different animal from teacher-education linguistics.)

15. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Jul 29, 2006

Hi TG, I just wanted to clarify about the language/lingustics class I mentioned last post. In looking at my course list for last semester, I see I am referring to it with the wrong name. It is really language and literaracy not linguistics.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2006

Language and literacy? Oho! That is indeed a different kettle of phonemic awareness!

Then by all means put off RICA if you possibly can - and be QUITE aware that the class is by way of helping you prepare. (The flip side of this is that you might find that the online RICA information helps you with your class. Connections, connections...) And you should view your student teaching the same way: it's about applying the principles you'll have been learning.

17. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Jul 30, 2006

Alright thank you for the advice. Quite possibly, I think it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me to start flipping through the books for that class to refresh my memory and start preparing for class. I don't think it would be a good idea going back to class admitting I don't remember what a phoneme is. Also, I want to be able to bust this RICA out on the first try. I don't want it to take me 4 tries like the CSET did.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2006

Okay, so you tell me: what's a phoneme, and what isn't it?

19. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

What a phoneme is -
    - A phoneme is the smallest unit of sound in language.
    - A phoneme is a single speech sound.
    - It is a distinctive lingusitic unit that contrast
    or causes differences in words
    ie: /h/ouse, /m/ouse.
    - Phonemes are abstract and hard to indentify,
    becuse they are changed by the sounds that
    surround them in the pronuncation of words.

What a phoneme isn't -
    - A phoneme is not a syllable: ie: pal /p/ /a/ /l/

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2006

Pretty good. Strictly speaking, a phoneme isn't a unit of sound (that would be a phone) - but, yes, it functions as a single unit in the phonology of a language, and it does indeed distinguish between words (I wouldn't say it "causes differences" but rather that a change in phonemes SIGNALS a difference between two words).

And, yes, a phoneme isn't a syllable. It also isn't a morpheme - that is, while we recognize that house and mouse are different words and therefore that /h/ and /m/ are distinct phonemes, it's not the case that [h] in and of itself has some sort of house-ish meaning and /m/ some sort of mouse-ish meaning. In contrast, the /s/ in the word cats is a morpheme, because it tells us that more than one cat is present.

I like how you give examples.