RICA in June

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by jennegirl, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jennegirl

jennegirl Rookie

Apr 22, 2008

Hello Everyone,

I've been away from this board for some time, and now I'm back. Teacher Groupie got me through the CSET last summer and I'm just starting to gather my info for the RICA in June. My credential program offered an awesome study session for the RICA, and I also have two books to study from: Ready for RICA (Zarrillo) and Cliffs Test Prep.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to get through this? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jennegirl

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2008

Sounds like you've got a good foundation, jennegirl. Know and use the technical terminology... Zarrillo's a good resource. I haven't heard enough feedback from Cliffs to know how well done it is, but if it works for you, that's all to the good.

(A tiny correction: I didn't get you through RICA. You got you through RICA. I'm just the cheerleader.)

4. jennegirl

jennegirl Rookie

Apr 25, 2008

Thank you for your response. BTW, you opened up my eyes to another way on how to approach the CSET to pass! :D.
    Regards,
    Jennifer

5. kleinsch

kleinsch New Member

Apr 25, 2008

Hi Jennegirl,

I took and passed the RICA last January. I used the same resources you listed in your post, and I also used some textbooks from my reading classes as references for specific terms.

What works best for me is to use the Cliff's and Zarillo books in conjunction with making my own flashcards. I like to write important terms from the books that I'm pretty sure will be on the test, and research specific definitions using my textbooks. (Eg: a flashcard term might read, "Stages of Learning to Read" and my definition on the back would list the various stages.)

I also developed a list of buzz words that seemed to come up in my books and classes that I wanted to remember to use in my essays.

I still have my huge collection of flashcards, and you know what? They are a great reference to me, even after RICA! I still like to refer to them when I need ideas for strategies, etc.

Lots of luck!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 25, 2008

And that, kleinsch, is the real, lasting payoff to the studying for and the taking of tests like these. Bravo! or Brava! (as the case may be).

7. jennegirl

jennegirl Rookie

Apr 27, 2008

Thank you kleinsch for your feedback. I appreciate your insight. I have yet to start studying for this mammoth of a test, my goal is to start the first week of May. Once I get in the groove of studying my posts won't sound so desperate!
    Thanks again.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 27, 2008

Whoa, jennegirl. Don't make this bigger than it is.

9. markheath

markheath New Member

May 31, 2008

Hi Teacher Groupie,
    I have to take the Bilingual Supplemental and TOPT in Spanish, the TOPT does not worry me. I just did not have any information on certain cases that came up on the Bilingual Supplemental. I still need to take the PPR and THEA since I am doing alternative certification.. Can you help with any of these. I take the THEA 6/21/08 and the math is the only section I would need assistance with I think. But might as well get that out of the way. I used "Preparing for the Texas PreK-4 Teacher Certification" by Janice L. Nath and John Ramsey as well as the study guide on sbec website. I could use a hand on the bilingual and the ppr and thea... thanks I read where you helped someone else get through some test could sure use your help.. thanks

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2008

Go ahead and launch a new thread about these tests, or join one of the existing threads about them, and let's see if we can get you some help from the community, markheath, shall we?

11. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 7, 2008

Hi there! Test scores came out today....how did you do??

12. jennegirl

jennegirl Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I passed!!! I passed!!! I passed!!! That is the last of the high stakes exams for me. Thank you God.

13. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 8, 2008

Congratulations!!! I know just how you feel because I passed as well!! Doesn't feel great to be done with those tests???

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2008

Well done, jennegirl and dragonfly05! Nobody passes these things purely by luck, so please be sure to celebrate your accomplishment.

15. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Congratulations to all who passed. Tell me, of all the tests, which do you think was the hardest. I only have the RICA left and it's coming up soon...........

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2008

Have you already taken reading instruction class(es), glamis369? In many credential programs, those classes are designed in part to get people through RICA in something like one piece.

17. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 10, 2008

Thanks girls!

For me, the multiple subject CSET was the hardest by far! I felt really prepared for the RICA after taking the reading course at school. I reviewed with a preparation book and I passed...so yeah. :D

18. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 10, 2008

This is the book I used. Great resource!

19. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I am currently taking the reading course at APU and it is supposed to prepare us. I also have the book you recommended dragonfly....it is required for the course and we use it a lot so it makes me feel better to know that it was useful to you. I've just got to get my final assignments done for the course and buckle down on studying. Gosh I will be happy when all these tests are over!!

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2008

I suspect you'll do just fine, glamis.

21. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Jul 10, 2008

Hi,

I took the CBEST and all the CSETs last summer and passed them the first time. I just found out I passed the RICA too!!!! I think for me the CSETs were harder. We have to take a reading course as part of the credential program and my instructor did great in preparing us for it.

Now my next challenge is taking the math single subject CSETS, I need a back up plan in case I can't find a job in elementary grades. Junior high here I come:eek:

Ana

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2008

Congratulations on passing RICA, mommy3boys!

23. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

Congrats and awesome job mommy3boys. Junior high/middle school isn't that bad. I sub at a middle school a lot.

24. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Jul 19, 2008

Hello everyone, I haven't been on here in awhile and I've missed it. This site was so, helpful to me when I was going through the CSET and TeachGroupie and several other helped me to pass that, and as for the RICA I did it on my "own" with the assistance and encouragement of other friends. I'm sure if I had been on here I would have passed sooner then I did, but the point is......I passed, and received my credential in the mail yesterday.....Woo Hoo

Kelster

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2008

(Insert here happy dance.)

26. yolyn

yolyn Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Rica test prep course

:unsure:Hello, I'm desperately looking for any kind of help with the Rica test. I have taken it three times and I can't seem to pass it, I do good on the case study but do poorly on the domains. I finished my courses and student teaching program through University of Phoenix but if I don't pass the Rica I can't get my diploma or credentials. I have all the study guides but does any of you would like to share notes? I could exchange with some of my notes from cset if you need any.
    :thanks:

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

Hm. What have you been doing to prepare, yolyn?

28. yolyn

yolyn Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Hello, I have been reading and taking notes using the following books: case studies in preparation for the Calif. Rading Competency test, Ready for rica by Zarrillo (new and old edditons) and Cliff testprep.:blush:
    thanks

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

Do you generally test fairly well?

30. yolyn

yolyn Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

I have always struggle with multiple choice questions. I did taken prep courses for the cset and cbest before passing both (after two years of trying!)but I would like to save that money. But if I don't pass it on October I guess I will have to take that prepcouse.
    thanks

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

Hm. Hmmmm. Where did you get your CBEST and CSET prep, and what did they teach you about test taking?

32. yolyn

yolyn Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

I took the prep courses at Cal State University Long Beach, California about three years ago. It took me many tries in order to pass both test even after taking the prep courses:( but the one quality I know about myself is that I am persistant..so I finally did it:2up:
    Some of the things they went over was how to analyze the questions, read the questions before reading the paragraphs in order to know what to look for, how eliminate answers, and how to organize your ideas in order to write answers in paragrah.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2008

Hm. People don't normally do all right on the case study unless they have a fair grasp of the terminology and concepts; your issues might be more along the lines of test anxiety, and you might want to consider tutoring that will focus on that.

34. yolyn

yolyn Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

I've been taking these tests for a while now and I don't feel/think I get nervous or tense during test time. I felt I did good on the writing portion, but when I got my results I was very sad and I just have to retake it on October. I just can't seem to get the multiple questions right:confused:
    for this reason I was asking all of you if you could spare your notes if you have taken any?
    thanks

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2008

Do you also find that you don't do so well on the practice tests' multiple choice questions?

36. yolyn

yolyn Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

well, that exactly where my problem is. I do good on the written portions but mess up on the multiple choice:wub:

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2008

If you feel you really do know the material but it doesn't come out when you test or when you take a particular kind of test, that's a kind of test anxiety.

How have you generally done (not just on RICA) with fill-in-the-blanks questions?

38. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Have you considered the video option on the RICA? I don't know much about it but a student in my summer school class told me she was considering it because she is a poor test taker. Just a thought...........

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2008

Word on the street has been and continues to be that the video version is more challenging.

It breaks my heart that so many people taking teacher tests go into them seeing themselves as bad test takers. But I feel three and a half rants coming on, and for once I think I'll spare you all.

40. yolyn

yolyn Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Thanks for all your comments! I guess the only way out for me is to keep trying just like I did with cset and cbest. I will not try the video/Rica because I heard that it is much more difficult. Again thanks!:thanks:

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2008

Whereabouts in the state are you located, yolyn?