RICA...Help!

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by AA0225, Jun 16, 2016.

1. AA0225

AA0225 New Member

Jun 16, 2016

Hi fellow teachers, I could really use some advice or help. I have now taken the RICA six times. I cannot begin to tell you how defeated I feel. I have purchased every book on the Rica, including Zarillo's and used teachers test prep. I had a job with a new district and they were very patient and gave me time to be able to pass and obtain my credential. However, at the end of this school year since I have not passed i have been let go. I can get my job back if I pass, but as I received my score for the latest exam I missed it by 5 points...a 215. I'm going to request a rescore, but any advice you have on that i would greatly appreciate. Any advice at all would really help. I don't want to lose my job. I'm very desperate at this point. I've only taught in the 7-12 as a special education teacher if that helps at all. Thanks.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2016

What does your most recent score report show by way of diagnostics? Are you below +++ in any domains? What are you seeing for the case study?

4. AA0225

AA0225 New Member

Jun 16, 2016

I had "++" in domains 4 and 5. My case study had "++" as well. It also says I need to work on describing instructional activities and strategies and explains how the strategies promote reading proficiency.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2016

Domain 4 is vocabulary, academic language, and background knowledge; domain 5 is comprehension. Scoring ++ in each would definitely be a deal-breaker, yes.

Do you think there's a difference between vocabulary and academic language? If so, what is it?

What do you think "describing instructional strategies" means?

6. Car777

Car777 Guest

Nov 11, 2016

can anyone recommend at tutor in the southern cali area?