RICA Exam....failed...:(

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Chaka, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Chaka

Chaka Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

My unofficial results say..."Not Pass".

I scored a 79.

I studied from the Zarrillo Prep Guide, 2002 Edition...(Could be my first mistake).

Gonna sign up to retake in April. Any advice right now would be extremely appreciated.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2009

Welcome to A to Z, Chaka, and have a hug or two.

You'll get a printed score report soon that will give a little more information (a little) about how you scored what you scored. 79 is pretty close to passing, so there shouldn't be a lot that you need to fix.

Do you yourself have a sense from when you took the test of what needs to change for next time?

4. Chaka

Chaka Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

Not sure on what I blew it on. I finished the test with ONE MINUTE TO SPARE. I'm usually really good at taking standardized tests, and I felt that I did really well on the written portion of the Exam, particularly the case study. The multiple choice was a little tough for me though, because on many questions the "answer" wasn't "Right There", as in many multiple choice tests, (like the CSET). 79 is close to passing, but it's also pretty low compared to how I felt I did. It's like a D-, or an F+, (depending on how you look at it....half empty, half full).

I'm hoping that my study materials were outdated, and I'll go to the bookstore, read up on an updated study book, have an enlightened epiphany, and cruise on forward with better spirits.

Thanks for the reply.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2009

Ah, I'm so sorry.

My only advice is to listen to Teacher Groupie's advice. She knows her stuff!

6. Chaka

Chaka Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

Let me just ask it.....What's the BEST source of study materials for the RICA Exam?

7. Chaka

Chaka Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

So here are the unofficial results of that test:

Domain I.......+++
    Domain II......++
    Domain III.....+++
    Domain IV.....++

Case Study....++
    With the comment added: "Your case-study showed a need for the following improvement: Describing instructional strategies and/or activities.

....And I thought I did good on the case study.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2009

There's no such thing as the one right resource for everyone for a test like this: because space (and readers' patience) is limited, one book emphasizes material that another soft-pedals, and of course no two test takers have exactly the same background. It follows that each test taker should look for the book that works best for her (or him).

Have you had coursework in reading instruction?

9. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 2, 2009

I read one of my text books. Literacy for the 21st century: A Balanced Approach, by Gail Tompkins. I thought this was a great book and totally prepared me for the test and I think made me a better teacher. I passed the test with really good scores. Good Luck

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2009

Try Googling "strategies reading instruction".

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 2, 2009

Chaka, are you a credential student? My program had a study session for us and basically we were told to do this: memorize all of the content areas and have an example in mind for an instructional strategy and activity for each.

I memorized the whole list of content areas to the tune of Eine kleine Nachtmusik (click to hear it, you know it even if not the name). Then, upon getting the test booklet, I wrote down every single content area and tried to remember my instructional strategies and examples. Through the test, I wrote about these examples using the names of the content areas. This seemed to work!

So get your singing voice ready:
    Mi mi mi mi miiiiiiiiii.....
    Phonemic Awareness!
    Concepts about print!
    Phonics!
    and Sight Words!
    Comprehension, Fluency!

Lit response and analysis!
    Content area literacy!
    Student independent reading!
    English Language learners!
    Vocabulary!
    Structure of the English Language!

12. Chaka

Chaka Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

There was a course at the University I went to, (to remain anonymous for obvious reasons), that focused on passing the RICA Exam. Not once did the teacher mentioned the word RICA, or Content Areas, etc. It was bogus, and left me disillusioned.

That being said, I just got back from the bookstore and did some hefty reading. Picked up the Cliff Note study guide, and recognized a few key elements that I may have messed up on. Thanks again for all your advice people.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2009

Courses like that generally have two goals, Chaka: they're intended to get you through RICA, but they're also actually intended to teach you some things about reading instruction.

Having said which, I like TeacherShelly's approach. Turning the material into a song works. Applying it to your everyday life outside of the test, where possible, also works: between now and April, make a point of watching yourself reading, so to speak - rummage up some unfamiliar text on the Internet, tackle it, and label the things you have to do to make sense of it.

How is it that your reading instruction methodology class was bogus?

14. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

My credential program devoted a whole month to Rica (they have never had any one fail and they want to keep it that way). Part of it was going into a classroom and testing a child on a lot of tests and then we had to write up our report on them (case study). My case study was over 40 pages long of the tests I gave him, my analysis of the scores, what he is good at, needs improvement at, and strategies I think should be used in the mainstream classroom to help him. This was just a small part of the week, we also had discussions, memorizing, tests, activities on all the material. It was a lot but, we all passed.

15. EPM

EPM New Member

Mar 22, 2009

I'm taking the RICA in April I failed the one in March too. I got Cliffsnotes book. Also RICA is going through changes to. The June test will be the last one with that format the RICA in August will be new. I'm taking a workshop through my district. But I want to get as much material and study guides as I can.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 22, 2009

How "new" the RICA will be in August remains to be seen. A warning, though: when a substantially new version of RICA or a CSET or CTEL exam comes out, scores from the first administration may be delayed by one or even two months for "score-setting" activities - which basically involves a panel of professors and teachers looking over the test that was just given, deciding what kind of performance on it would indicate a minimum level of competence, and dubbing that score the passing score. So a RICA-taker who needs scores by September may be well advised to take the April or June tests.

17. anitae209

anitae209 Rookie

Mar 24, 2009

I'm currently studying for the RICA and one instructor from my campus has a website where he made instructional videos that discuss the basics from concepts about print to comprehension. The website is: http://mediasite5.csustan.edu/Media...FolderId=9c5193d3-f9f2-4b99-b2b7-08b1e976729a

The site has 4 parts to the RICA so look over it, Im still on part 1and there's a lot of clips but it's a great refresher before the big test!