RICA April 9

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Noiyah, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Noiyah

Noiyah Rookie

Mar 1, 2005

is anyone else taking the rica on april 9th? i have the ready for the rica book, is there anything else that will help me prepare or is that basically it?

thanks in advance!! :crosseyed

3. Andi

Andi Rookie

Mar 1, 2005

I am hoping to take it in April too. I have the same book and I downloaded the sample questions from the RICA website. I tried asking others in this CSET thread if they had any ideas and I only had two individuals respond (I thank them very, very much) so I deleated my thread. It seems like the CSET is the overwhelming obstacle to the credential program. I studied and passed. Not a big deal. When I looked through the test booklets, I thought "How easy this is!" I did study and study. Now I am trying to study for the RICA and I want to be as prepared. I don't know of any other way that might help. Keep me posted if you find anything worth while. Andi

4. Noiyah

Noiyah Rookie

Mar 1, 2005

same here...the cset was the bigger test to worry about ...i've gotten mixed reviews about the rica though...some say it's hard (they have taken it 3 or 4 times) and the others have taken it once and pased...i guess it's all a matter of preparation. i figure it should be easier since you are only studying one area. i will definitely pass any information on to you if i get it.

thanks!

5. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Mar 2, 2005

I took the RICA last June and passed. When ansering the questions, my instructors at the time said to emphasize what the teacher would do to help the student learn. For example if a student is having trouble with sight words, a bad answer would be to give them flash cards to use at home, a good answer would be the teacher playing sight word bingo with the student or some other strategy. Does that make any sense? Have specific strategies in mind for comprehension, spelling, phonics, fluency-all aspects of learning how to read and write. Have you taken any literacy methods classes yet? Mine were almost like RICA prep classes, I don't think I could have passed without them.
    The most frustrating part for me about the RICA was the 10 extra "test the test" questions thrown in that do not count for or against your score. Of course you don't know which questions they are but my instructors said that if a question seems completely hard and/or way out in left field, it is probably one of those questions. My problem was that I had more than 10 questions I felt were hard or unanswerable. The case study also gave me problems as I just did not feel I answered it intelligently (like a teacher). Nonetheless, I passed so I must have done something right.

6. Noiyah

Noiyah Rookie

Mar 2, 2005

great! thank you for the information...i did take a class that helps with what type of questions are on the RICA and stuff like that but that was almost 2 years ago! but answering the questions as a teacher would help the student is a big help.

thanks!

7. Andi

Andi Rookie

Mar 2, 2005

What you said made sense and is a big help. I enjoy reading your method of response. You answer the questions that I am asking myself on "what the test is looking for, specifically. I read that the essay questions don't have to be in essay form, you can bullet or number the methods you would use for the different learning abilities. Did you find this to be so? Please know that this is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Andi

8. Andi

Andi Rookie

Mar 2, 2005

Did you get my reply? I might have emailed it to myself!

9. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Mar 3, 2005

The essays do not have to be in essay form and you can use bullets, numbers etc. to highlight and/or list your ideas.

10. chicanabeans

chicanabeans Rookie

Mar 5, 2005

RICA HELP OK, I took the RICA twice, the first time I didn't study and could care less if I past. The second time, I faked my way through the essays and did good enough to satisfy the graders. So I was looking through all my junk from the credential program that I went through and I had awesome language arts teachers. One of the teachers gave us a RICA exam study guide. I'm not sure if anyone else has this, but she broke the RICA down into Domain I, II, III, IV. I wrote a blog with some examples of what she did and it helped me. Its not bloated with info, but I give some examples of what can help. Check it out :) Oh and if there are any spelling errors, sorry, I wrote it up in 10 minutes ;)
    I wish I had a scanner, but I hope what I have helps just a tad

http://ricahelp.blogspot.com/

11. Andi

Andi Rookie

Mar 5, 2005

Thank you so much. I quickly looked at the info you sent before I left for Staples to buy ink for my printer. This is exactly what I can use. There is so much information to muddle through ( in the regular study guides) that I get frustrated at the length and depth of the domains. I also received some great info from another thread that I will download and study. The time is drawing near for the next test and I hesitated to send my money at the first deadline but I will study all my new material and see if I am confident enough to take the test this April 9th. Again, I thank you for taking the time and effort to help. Andi

12. Noiyah

Noiyah Rookie

Mar 5, 2005

that's fantastic!! thank you sooo much...i will be registering this weekend for the april 9th rica...good luck andi!

thanks!!

13. arnilynne

arnilynne Rookie

Mar 8, 2005

14. Andi

Andi Rookie

Mar 8, 2005

Thank you! I just opened that site and found it to be very helpful. Andi