rhyming

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by diggerdeb, Nov 2, 2013.

1. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Nov 2, 2013

We all know how important rhyming is in phonic awareness. But how do you introduce it developmentally? We have a nursery rhyme every week. We read rhyming books often. But some of my older fours are still not getting it. We play games with rhyming names. etc

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2013

Have you introduced what rhyming means? I tell my kinders that it is when words sound the same at the end.

I find that for my struggling students, it helps to choose a category and provide a nonsense word that rhymes with an item in the category. For example: in the category fruits, I might say proranges, then the students say oranges. Or brapples and the students say apples.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2013

What about word families like hat, cat, sat, mat. Or give a couple and see if they can get the at sound even if they are made up words.

5. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Nov 15, 2013

I understand. I think there is a level where children aren't really understanding rhyming. But I think the secret is to just keep at and just keep talking about it. You can tell when they aren't getting it. Today I read "I was walking down the road"[​IMG] and on each page I would say "Oh! Here's another rhyme? Ready?" and repeat the rhyming words. It's a concept. And young minds are just starting to understand concepts. It takes repetition. Keep at it. You're on the right path.