Rhyming Words/ Word Families

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mudpie1598, Aug 4, 2007.

1. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

I haven't had any OCR training yet. I will in about 1 month. I was wondering how you started to teach rhyming words and word families. What do you say or explain what each item is?

I say, "Rhyming words are words that end the same..."
    "Word families are groups of words that end the same..." These two are both the same, etc.

I don't know if I'm saying the proper definitions of each, that's why I'm asking for suggestions on what to say exactly? Thanks!:huh:

3. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Aug 4, 2007

At my school, we tell our kids that rhyming words are words that sound the same in the middle and at the end. I say that the only thing that changes is the beginning sound. We have rhyming word books that we use and posters. I show them the patterns in a couple of the easy word families, such as the "at" family and the "og" family on the dry-erase board. We work on rhyming words all year, using silly words and real words. Any story that has a set(s) of rhyming words, I make sure to ask the students to pick out the ones that rhyme. We do lots of matching games and activities individually, with a partner, and as a group. It takes a lot of practice, but they practice and they eventually get it!:)

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

I introduce rhyming words to my preschoolers through the use of books. I really like Hop On Pop and Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. Then we play games Like "Rhyming Jingo" and make word lists. Like tarheelsak said, it does take a lot of practice but once they get it, you see their "light bulbs" come on.

5. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

What is "Rhyming Jingo?"

6. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

You can also do activities where you give a couple of rhyming words mixed with one that DOESN'T rhyme so that they can hear/see the difference.

7. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

You can buy "Jingo" games(like bingo) at teacher stores. My Rhyming game has about 30 or more large game cards with pictures on them. The teacher has smaller cards with "rhyming clues" on them. The teacher reads the clues out loud, for instance: "This object is round, you wear it on your finger and it rhymes with king". The students have to look at their picture card and find the matching picture that rhymes and then put a bingo chip on it. There are a variety of Jingo games that cover other academic areas.

8. hello_mido

hello_mido Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

i have these rhyming cards i made. i got the pix from a site that i forgot to save i'll upload the file it's a word file you can play guessing games or you can hide one card and the kids can guess the other rhyming card or you can play memory game with them. there are so many games you can play with these cards i hope it'll be helpful for you
    http://www.mediafire.com/?40ozjbdmssd