Rhyming ideas??

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by lucky223, Oct 1, 2006.

1. lucky223

lucky223 New Member

Oct 1, 2006

Hello Everyone!

I'm a second year Kinder teacher and I'm having a hard time teaching my kids how to rhyme. They are all EL's and it may be lack of the English language, but I'm having a very difficult time teaching them to rhyme. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Thanks!:)

3. MissV89

MissV89 New Member

Oct 2, 2006

Personally, I think you should (if you haven't already) introduce them to the Dr. Seuss books. They help kids get an idea of rhyming and putting it into a story. Also, when teaching words that rhyme start with common syllables or the same length of letters in the word such as so/no, fat/cat, etc. Underlining the endings of each word that rhymes with the other shows the students which part of the word they need to concentrate on to find a similarity. But then again, I don't know how well your kids can read! I suppose it depends on the school. So incase they can't read well, picture cut outs would help too. Such as, a picture of a bow and a picture of snow and having your students match them. At that age, most children learn best when they can see and interact with the thing they're learning. I hope I helped!

4. cokelady

cokelady Rookie

Oct 2, 2006

We always played picture bing, with rhyming words, so you have a picture of a cat, on your card, and you show them a picture of a bat, what rhymes with bat? Cat, then they put a tile on Cat. Just do it over and over again, boys against girls have them play games, who can tell me what rhymes with sat, mat, hat and so forth, use picture cards, if they cant speak well.Get a matching game and maybe at your local school store they will have rhyming words? Hope that is of help to you...

5. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 2, 2006

Also, don't forget about songs. There are lots of songs out there that emphasize rhyme-- Down By the Bay, for example.

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 9, 2006

My little girl learned to rhyme really early (age 3) and I believe it was at least in part due to the 'games' we play in the car when we're traveling every day. I would say, "My brother is Chuck. He drives a ______." She would guess the word (truck, of course). Some of her other favorites were:

I get in my car
    And I drive real _____ (far)

When I look up so high
    I can see the blue _____ (sky)

Oh what can that be
    Up there in that _____(tree)

What will I do?
    I can't tie my _____ (shoe)

You're very smart
    I cross my _____ (heart)

My pet is so fat
    It's a kitty _____ (cat)

I used words that are very easy to figure out and then I moved to more difficult ones. She caught on in no time.

7. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Oct 9, 2006

I teach pre-K and I introduce rhyming through word play with silly words, songs, chants, books, and the other methods mentioned. Before you know it the kids are doing it all the time! We sing "willoby walloby" and other nonsense songs during transitiontimes and during dismissal. I even change it to "tilloby tolloby" or "dilloby dolloby." There are some great books out there that specialize in taking advantage of the small amounts of time we have throughout the day to emphasize language skills. I play a lot of "Name games" with my group to teach language skills. Before I know it, the alphabet is known by all as well as sounds and letter recognition all through fun and exciting games, chants, songs, movement activities, etc. HOpe that helps. I have taught kindergarten before and I used many of the same methods with kinder that I use with pre-k to teach language skills.

8. missyloveskids

missyloveskids Rookie

Oct 10, 2006

What is Kinder?

I just wanted to check if Kinder is the same as Kindergarten? What are the age groups for Kindergarten in your areas?