Rhodium Plating??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherGrl7, Feb 26, 2012.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 26, 2012

Has anyone ever heard of this before? The other day I took my engagement ring back to the jeweler and asked her if it's normal that after only 7 months my white gold ring is looking yellowy on the bottom. When I tried on wedding rings, it was amazing how pretty and shiny the wedding rings were, and how yellow and old looking my fairly new ring was in comparison. My fear was that if it looks like this now, what will it look like in 20 years??

She said there is a process called rhodium plating that is very common with white gold jewelry, and that I should probably plan on having it done once a year for my engagement ring and my wedding ring. Has anyone done this? The process would be free as often as I need it for the life of the ring, so I mostly want to know if there are any downsides to be wary of before having it done. My ring is a solitaire, but it has small diamonds on each side in a "channel". I don't want the diamonds to be affected, and I'd like some outside opinions!

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2012

I have to do mine every 18 months or so.

one of those things I'd never heard of until I had to do it, and then all my friends are saying "oh yeah, I have to do that to mine!"

I wish someone had told me when I was shopping/picking out what I wanted! (Not sure it would have changed my mind though... I'm not a fan of yellow gold.)

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 26, 2012

Wow, you read my mind! My ring I just got at Christmas was looking the same way. I didn't know anything about this Rhodium either, so I took it in to the jewelry store, and they told me the same thing. The guy did it right there in the store, it took about half an hour (He said usually they keep it overnight, but they weren't very busy).

5. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 26, 2012

Wow, I've never even heard of this.

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 26, 2012

Whew, I'm so glad to hear others are familiar with this! My fiance said he wished he would have been told ahead of time, too, even though it wouldn't have changed anything- I didn't pick out the ring but he knew I wouldn't have cared for yellow gold. But they should mention this if it's so common!

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 26, 2012

Ditto. It's worth it though, to have the white gold. It's so pretty! Plus, I have to take mine in at least every 6 months for a checkup to keep the warranty up-to-date, so I figure they can do it while they do that.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2012

My ring is white gold but it doesn't look any different from how it did when I first got it like 7 years ago. Is this yellowing thing something that I should be looking out for?

9. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 26, 2012

After a bit of research, apparently not all white gold jewelry is rhodium-plated, but most of the stuff out there today is. Ceaser, it seems like if you're happy with the color of your ring, you don't need to worry about it. I found this page very informative: http://www.finishing.com/faqs/whitegold.shtml

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 26, 2012

I hate yellow gold to a level that's really just silly, so when my ring started to turn yellow I knew that had to be fixed and fast! :) The first white gold ring my husband (then bf) gave me is still beautifully white after ten or so years, but the engagement ring needs the plating to stay lovely.

I got my band in platinum to avoid this. I don't wear them both at once anyhow.

11. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 27, 2012

My jeweler said the yellowing is caused by rings being made now with less nickel (the alloy that makes the yellow gold appear white) to avoid allergic reactions. If your ring has more nickel in it, you probably won't have the yellowing, but might have an increased likelihood of an allergic reaction if you reacted to nickel.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 27, 2012

I have had my white gold rings for almost thirty years and they look exactly the same.

13. holliday

holliday Comrade

Mar 1, 2012

My wedding ring is white gold and I was told to bring it in every 6 months or so for "flashing"...but the jewelry store where we bought it went out of business and now I'm not sure if I'm going to have to pay to have a different jeweler do it for me...:(

But I still love my ring and it hasn't yellowed noticeably and it's been about 4.5 years since I've had it done.