Rewards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by bondo, Jan 17, 2011.

1. bondo

bondo Cohort

Jan 17, 2011

How do you reward good behavior? I have stuck to the "treasure box" with little gifts good behavior at the end of the week. However, this does not motivate all students. Can you share what your rewards system for good behavior is and conversely what your punishment system is for misbehavior? Thank you in advance.

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 17, 2011

I just do a compliments system in k- for every 10 or so compliments (20 now) we earn a class reward be it extra recess, an art project, free time, gym time, longer time in centers, or any number of class selected treats. However, just recently I started the stoplight behavior mgmt system and if you get to red you get a note, phone call, or e-mail home which must be signed and returned by family. Otherwise, I do caught being good notes home periodically- letting parents know the good things the kids are doing and giving the recognition/attention to my well behaved kids. Plus the moving to red really seems to put the responsibility on the kids and off of me- I am not doing the dirty work- they are not on red because of me (because I put them there) and I can take that stress away from myself and not feel responsible for it in any way. It really puts the responsibility back on them and allows them to see where they are at all times during the day and helps them to better self monitor.

4. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 17, 2011

Search the forums for behavior management and rewards- there are tons of posts.

5. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jan 17, 2011

I have instant rewards (candy, stickers, praise, cool pencil, etc.) and also a ticket system where students earn tickets for good behavior. On the last day of the month, anyone who has tickets gets to take part in a small party to celebrate their accomplishments. We count our tickets and the top 5 students with the most tickets win extra, small prizes-- silly bands, candy, skip a homework pass, etc. It encourages the students because even if they have a bad day, they could still be in the top 5 since it is cumulative over a month.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 17, 2011

I have a Superstar chart. If they show extraordinary behavior they get a superstar which means they can eat lunch with me on Fridays. I also have stuffed "buddies" which I will send home with superstars for the night and they return them the next day (they are also journaling about what they do together, so it's writing practice as well).

7. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Jan 17, 2011

One thing I use a lot is the reward of choice. I let the student who was the best to choose what book the class reads or to choose whether to be the "caboose" or "conductor" in line. I think this appeals to more students and lets kids choose exactly what the want.

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 17, 2011

Pacific- that is very true! good point, I do that, too. It is super effective.

9. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Jan 17, 2011

I actually use educational games at the end of the day and let the kids choose. I found some great ideas on these discussion boards and online. Mind Soccer from whole brain teaching is fun. Also, the Positive Engagement Project has a bunch of games (mostly math), which my kids really enjoy and I do as well, because they are free. Also, something as simple as eating lunch in the classrrom instead of the cafeteria is a fun and no expense way to get my kids motivated.

10. bondo

bondo Cohort

Jan 18, 2011

Thank you all for your replies. I like all the ideas and I am hoping to implemnet them in some way in the near future.

11. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Jan 21, 2011

At the beginning of the school year I let the students pick what they want. We make a list and some times it changes. Students will work for some thing want. We have had donuts, movies, free time, picnics, teacher chair, pen for a day, claw machine, pizza parties, and the list goes on and on.