Rewards for Middle School aged students

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by nhagle, Aug 18, 2008.

1. nhagle

nhagle Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

I am a new teacher and I am trying to come up with rewards to put in my classroom store for my middle school students with Emotional/Behavioral Impariments so far this is my list:
    Pop
    Candy
    Stickers
    School supplies
    Free time pass
    Computer time pass
    work with a friend pass
    No Homework pass
    baseball cards (or football or other sports cards)
    if possible free time in the gym to play basketball....

I keep on thinking of things that would work with elementary age students such as little toys or games from the dollar store but that would not be age appropriate... Please help me come up with more things my middle school students would like to work towards...:unsure:

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2008

How about:

McDonalds dollar certificates (you can buy the booklets of 5 or 10 or whatever and give out one at a time)

BlockBuster certificates (check with the manager to see if you can get some coupons or certificates... sometimes they have them if you tell them you work for a school.....)

Frames? Girls like frames... You can get cheap ones at Wal Mart, Ikea, K-mart, etc.

Earning time as an "office assistant?" (Approval required for this, of course... where they could help out in the office for the last half hour of your class or of the day, or even last 10-20 minutes, whatever was decided?)

Paper/Stationary? (girls again...)

Check with some local fast food joints... they usually have little "perfect attendance" or "star student" type coupons that get you a free drink, free fries, etc.

Check a video store/game store to see if you can get some discount or free rental coupons.

Oriental Trading Company has tons of pens, pencils, candy, other little trinkets that aren't "babyish" but are still "cool" and they're very cheap....

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2008

My middle schoolers loved toys and games from Oriental Trading. I got those parachuters, a game where you have to get a ball through a hoop, paddleball, cool pencils...I think it is better to use non-tangible reinforceres though.

5. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I have used the
    McDonalds $
    hair accessories
    nail polish
    shampoos/soaps, etc from hotels I stay at (and my family picks these up for me also)~ boys like this
    Marbles
    Smelly pencils
    mini candy (although we aren't allowed to)
    kid's meal prizes
    things that my friends and family are cleaning out of their house
    I also use Oriental Trading Co, I let the students vote and I buy one theme at a time

I don't use stickers or soda

6. nhagle

nhagle Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

Thanks! I really like the certificates idea and I will check into the Oriental Trading Company catalog for toys and games. I just though of another reward myself... I have a cd/radio which I will be having in my room and I will have headphones that way student can listen to the radio or appropriate cd for a period of time as a reward as well. :) If anyone else has any more great ideas for middle school aged rewards I would thankful. Thanks again for ideas! Also-- Does anyone have any ways of getting money to pay for classroom rewards? I don't think I will have a school budget for classroom rewards and I was just thinking it would be great if I could find money to pay for my rewards. (I will be using a lot of rewards since my students have behavior disorders.)

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

Send a note to the parents. See if any of the parents are interested in giving (you never know, sometimes people have friends who are the managers of various places- blockbuster, game store, baseball field. etc.) Check with your school PTA too.. we got $20 per classroom last year (that's not much but it would certainly be a start for you!)

8. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

I ask my parents every month for money to pay for CBI, cooking, hygiene, etc. You could at a few $$ for rewards into this. I also ask them at the beginning of the year for supplies &/or gift cards to Target, grocery stores, etc.

_________
    my blog...www.lifeskilllessons.com/blog

9. nhagle

nhagle Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

Thanks for the great ideas!
    "I ask my parents every month for money to pay for CBI, cooking, hygiene, etc. You could at a few $$ for rewards into this. I also ask them at the beginning of the year for supplies &/or gift cards to Target, grocery stores, etc."

What is CBI stand for? Behavior Rewards?

I will create a letter to my parents asking for classroom donations. Thanks! Any other Ideas that would be helpful please!

_________

10. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

A CBI is community based instruction, you should google this to get some ideas. We use it to do career ed, money, vocation, leisure skills, etc

here is my letter for september...

Dear «Last_Name» Family,

Throughout the year our class will be going on Community Based Instruction (CBI) outings each week. CBIs are intended to help educate your child in life skills (i.e. riding a bus, ordering at a restaurant, grocery shopping, visiting potential employment, etc.) There will be a monthly contribution for the expenses.

For the month of September, I am asking all parents to send $20. Please send cash or a check made out to "Cash".

In addition, students will need the following items to share…

*2 glue sticks
    *2 boxes of tissues
    *2 pink erasers
    *Blue Ink Pens
    *2 Dry Erase markers (fine tip)
    *toothbrush
    *tooth paste
    *diaper wipes (hand wipes)
    *Purell Hand Sanitizer
    *Sponges
    *Dish Soap
    *Dish Towel
    *daily snack/$ to purchase snack (or bulk snacks to be shared)
    *1 package of color copy paper (red, green, yellow, pink, tan, orange, light blue, or purple)
    *and/or a Gift Card $15-$20 (Staples, Office Depot, Target)

Personal Needs:
    *backpack (age appropriate~ favorite color, Hawaiian Print, etc.)
    *lunch box/bag that is age appropriate (if they bring lunch)

Thanks you,

then for the rest of the month I just send home an envelope with this on front...

CBI, Cooking & Classroom Supplies
    October
    ___$15____
    Please return to ____ room __
    Cash or check made out to cash

______
    my blog...www.lifeksilllessons.com/blog

11. nhagle

nhagle Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I like you idea... to ask families to help a CBI program but my students are not in a program based school and I don't think it would go over with my students parents who are stuggling to meet ends as it is. I'm not say that it will not work but I am going to ask for donation vs. telling them to pay a certain amount every month. Plus, I am a new teacher and I don't think this would go over well with my district. Thanks for the advice and sharing this letter with me I will create a similar letter asking for donations for my classroom. Thanks again!:thanks:

12. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

nhagle, ask your principal if there are any funds available for CBI trips. We get $40/month for CBI trips which he takes from the schools ice cream sales money. It's not much but it helps. One thing I've learned is that you only get things if you ask... they aren't going to offer it, but just might do it if asked. :) It's worth a shot.

Oh and another reward idea... you could give free ice cream passes to be used at lunch. Our school sells these coupons for cheap to teachers to use as rewards.

13. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

My school is public and it is a donation that I ask for. They are not required to help out. And even though most of them are very very low socio-economic status they come up with something each month. Typically I get the money, 1 or 2 who bring in something, 1 who brings in nothing and every once in a while one who brings in extra each month. If can't hurt to ask since it is helping skills solidify for their students, plus a lot of the activities that cost end up being meal related. Our district is allowed to ask for parents to pay for Field Trips but students can not be kept from going because of not having $ to pay for it. This is why I write grants to help pay for the events through our district foundations.

Good luck!

_________
    my blog...www.lifeskilllessons.com/blog