Rewards for Good Behavior for Sub

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 20, 2014

I was just wondering, what would be some good whole-class rewards to give an entire class for being on best behavior for a sub?

Food is out of the question unfortunately, due to dietary restrictions from our district.

And what would be some good rewards for individual students who are helpful for the sub.

Keep in mind, that this is for 8th graders, so it has to have an air of maturity about it (because they like to pretend they are mature).

Sciencey related things would be cool.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2014

Could you do some kind of points towards a special extra-fun lab day where they are doing some kind of experiment that, while maybe not perfectly aligned with the curriculum, would still be teaching science content and yet the kids would have a blast? (could be tied into incentives during class on non-sub days, too)

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 20, 2014

I don't think this will work for you as it has nothing to do with science or standards, but in my class they love having board game day.

I let students bring in board games from home and I give them an hour to play with classmates.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2014

Why reward what you expect? I praise my kids for a good sub report and move on.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 20, 2014

I think we should get rid of honor rolls, attendance rewards, scholorships for academic acheivments...etc as well.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 20, 2014

I generally don't reward for things I expect. But I've come to value appropriate behavior for a sub when it arises.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 20, 2014

We earn class points towards a whole class reward (which they typically earn once a quarter). Whenever a sub is in, I triple whatever they earn. So if they would have earned 14 points, I add 42, instead.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 20, 2014

Like... college scholarships for academic achievement?

I appreciate the fact that I was able to attend a better college than I could have afforded to attend thanks to having a straight A average in high school. Going to have to agree to disagree on that one.

10. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 20, 2014

;)

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Oct 20, 2014

As to the original question, I would probably give my students a small reward - a few minutes of free time, a 'brain break' game - just some break from the day-to-day to let them know I noticed their positive efforts.

Pashtun, I find your comment interesting. Were you being facetious, or were you serious?

12. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 20, 2014

Lack of sarcasm font strikes again. :p

13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 20, 2014

It is exactly what you said, interesting, something to think about.

I expect all my 4th grade students to make the honor roll, they are all capable and intelligent enough to acheive it.....

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 20, 2014

I don't expect all my third graders to achieve the equivalent of honor roll. If they do, that means my class is too easy and I need to ramp up the rigor level.

15. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 20, 2014

I would give them an incredible Science Experiment with no write up with the experiment. They will learn something, enjoy it, possibly be inspired by it, and will be happy inside that they didn't have to do work. Yes, I know you have 8th graders, so they probably will still complain, but possibly you'll see just the smallest detection of a few smiles.

16. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 20, 2014

Our honor roll is based on 4th grade standards and is set by the school, district, and state, so yes, all of my students are capable of acheiving honor roll.

Our classroom activities have a much higher standard for rigor and thinking required and are far above the standards for district/school honor roll and state testing.

So I agree, the school, district, and state standards of rigor are low, but don't confuse that with classroom rigor or expectations.

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 20, 2014

I could probably do something like this.

I actually don't think the board game idea is a bad one. I could do that. But probably not for a whole hour.

18. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 20, 2014

I could do something like that, but the only problem would be that it might take too long and interfere with the schedules for other classes (like the ones that didn't get the reward). I would probably also miss out on a lab that I could have used later with a write-up (I have a lot of good labs, but I pretty much use all of them for teaching in some way).

Alternatively, maybe I could release that period from a write-up but require it of other periods.

19. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 21, 2014

Some food for thought...I often don't tell the teacher every little "bad" thing that happened. For example, today the kids were noisy in line on the way to the computer lab. Was it good behavior? No. Did I handle it on my own by telling them it wasn't appropriate, and I expected better behavior on the walk back to class? Yes. In situations like these, I don't feel the need to tell the teacher...it's something SO SMALL that the teacher doesn't need to stress about...however, I don't feel that the class was "on their best behavior". I feel that if a teacher were to read my notes (I generally just say that the class was good...again...why stress out the teacher? Just leave the important disciplinary reports and leave it at that), they would think their kids were excellent, which is almost always NOT the case. Be careful with the rewards.

(I've read on a2z that teachers appreciate notes like the ones I leave. They don't need to know every single little minor infraction, stop, pause, etc., that went on in the day. Who wants to come back to that? That's why I write my notes how I do.)

20. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Oct 21, 2014

I think tangible rewards are best when they are spontaneous. Expecting some kind of reward coupon or prize for tasks such as behaving daily devalues it.

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 21, 2014

I have a section in my sub form that asks them whether or not they feel the class deserved a reward.

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2014

If the note said they were "good", I would interpret that as you mentioned--overall pretty good, with maybe a few small incidents.

If they were really good or on the best behavior, I would hope that a sub would note that.

23. deenamathew

deenamathew Rookie

Oct 29, 2014

It is better to provide scholarship it is the best reward for a student.